Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Problem description: The place I work at runs a program called Retail Pro. Its fairly popular here in Canada and the US. Its an oracle based database but search queries are taking over a minute to come back. So I'd scan a barcode into the computer to see how many are in stock and it could take over 30 seconds for it to retreive the answer. The same slowness is on all of the computers in the company. I was hoping someone here would have had some experience optimizing this software.

Attempted fixes:
*Ran defrags on the server and used the inbuilt retail pro database optimizer
*disabled firewalls (only firewall we have is the one on the router, there isnt a software one)
*disabled antivirus
*static IPs on all the client comps
*went into the ini files of retail pro and increased the availble ram for the program from 4gb to 24gb
*added in tonnes of filters like item count must be 1 or higher, must be an active item etc.

Operating system: win7 pro I think.

System specs: WIn7 pro probably, server is dual octa core, 32gb of RAM, plenty of hdd space in raid 10. I checked today and the server had used 9gb of the 32, and CPU never went above a few percent on one core. There's only one router in the network, the rest are gigabit switches. Even cabled into the same router the server is doesnt help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nierbo posted:

*disabled antivirus

Disabled AV on the computer or server?

What's the AV?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Just on the server. Clients have no anti virus or firewall because they lock the account down and only ever run the POS software anyway, no web browsing allowed. I forget which AV but it was a free one. Maybe nod32. I will check on Monday. The boss swears that he added the Retail Pro folders to the anti viruses ignore list and then even turned it off as a test and no improvement but I guess we could try uninstalling it too. If it was the AV causing problems would the CPU load be a lot higher?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nierbo posted:

Just on the server.

Does this POS software link into the server itself or are they local databases?

Does the software need to communicate outside as well in real time or is it mainly just going from a local computer to the server? If it's going outside to the internet itself frequently the router firewall could be an issue.

Nierbo posted:

Maybe nod32. I will check on Monday. The boss swears that he added the Retail Pro folders to the anti viruses ignore list and then even turned it off as a test and no improvement but I guess we could try uninstalling it too. If it was the AV causing problems would the CPU load be a lot higher?

Yea, it's not just a matter of putting folders on a whitelist/ignore list. Depending on what it is it might be interfering in other ways. Uninstalling it fully and rebooting is the only way to be sure.

The AV probably won't put much stress on that machine no matter what it's doing if you have dual 8core CPU.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Does it matter when you run the query for a barcode value (i.e. during peak business hours vs. after hours)? Is there a high amount of I/O activity going on, or is the drive array nearing capacity? Does it matter how you enter the query (i.e. instead of scanning a barcode at the POS is it also slow if you directly query the database from the server)?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Zogo posted:

Does this POS software link into the server itself or are they local databases?

Does the software need to communicate outside as well in real time or is it mainly just going from a local computer to the server? If it's going outside to the internet itself frequently the router firewall could be an issue.

Yea, it's not just a matter of putting folders on a whitelist/ignore list. Depending on what it is it might be interfering in other ways. Uninstalling it fully and rebooting is the only way to be sure.

The AV probably won't put much stress on that machine no matter what it's doing if you have dual 8core CPU.

POS software goes to the server. There's no need for an internet connection from the server or client for any reason. Just FYI, copying from the server to an client PC through windows explorer works as fast as it should, as does the internet.

Yeah I'll advise him to uninstall that AV and then reboot everything and try again, he says he tried that before but it was on a previous version and possibly a fair few months ago. I was also thinking maybe add the client IPs to the routers DMZ? Or does that pose a security risk? I don't want to destroy this whole system as he had a cryptlocker a few years ago and doesn't want to go through all that again.

Mo, as far as I know its at any time, busy or not. I'm there before the place opens and it might be a bit quicker but not substantially (or it might be the same, i havent timed it exactly). Theres over 900gb free space on the hdd. Typing in the name of the product or uding any other field doesnt yield better results. If this uninstalling AV thing doesnt work, are we getting close to the point where we just shrug and say its the POS software being a jerk?

Thankyou both for the help by the way. Zogo I swear you deserve 6 figures for the amount of help you give on these forums.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 10, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nierbo posted:

I was also thinking maybe add the client IPs to the routers DMZ? Or does that pose a security risk? I don't want to destroy this whole system as he had a cryptlocker a few years ago and doesn't want to go through all that again.

The router is between the ISP and the server right? I don't think that'd have any bearing on the POS software as you said it didn't need the internet.

Nierbo posted:

If this uninstalling AV thing doesnt work, are we getting close to the point where we just shrug and say its the POS software being a jerk?

If it's the only thing having an issue it's a good bet that something isn't right with the software (or some kind of issue between the software and the OS). What's the exact server OS? Making sure it's fully updated is important.

Nierbo posted:

Thankyou both for the help by the way. Zogo I swear you deserve 6 figures for the amount of help you give on these forums.

If I got that that would be :waycool:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
After ruling out hardware bottlenecks, software settings or database issues would be where I'd look next as well; not sure how old the version you're running is or how much data you've got, but is there a software limit on the size of the database?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah server is right on the router. Not sure what the exact OS version is, He;s away for a week so I can't do anything till he's back. I'd say its Win7pro. I will check it for needed updates when I get a chance.

Mo, I'm really not sure. Apparently he's had the retail pro guys look at it for hours and hours and weren't able to find a fix. Ugh, wasted probably about 30 minutes today literally standing there and waiting.

• Locked thread