Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just picked up a Phillips Hue set and a couple lamps and I've been playing around with the Android apps and the JSON api. Anybody else on here been playing around with this stuff? I'm curious what kind of hardware is compatible seeing as it uses the Zigbee protocol. I'll update the thread with some of my antics once I throw together a control panel for my system. The API is surprisingly easy to work with and I've got a ton of cool ideas of things I want to do. First off though, I'd like to find some cheaper components as the Phillips hardware is :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah they burnt out after two weeks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I bought a 3 pack about a year or so ago and they're still running fine. I mainly just use them for different color temperatures of white-ish light depending on mood/time of day.

Someone at my last job made a cool hack where they put Hue bulbs in the lobby light fixtures and used the API to make them blink based on real time activity on our website. Different sorts of actions yielded blips of different colors, and he put each bulb on a cascading delay so it looked like they were chasing down the lobby.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've played around with the API a bit, but I don't really have any good ideas of what to actually do with it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mattavist posted:

Yeah they burnt out after two weeks.

Sounds like you had a power surge.

Something to think about though, since it's impractical to put every lamp in your house on a surge protector.

quote:

I've played around with the API a bit, but I don't really have any good ideas of what to actually do with it.

Yeah same here, but with as bad as the apps are (IMO), I figure I can come up with something cool. I'd kind of like to do some sort of arduino button setup rather than pay $60 for that stupid light switch.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I'm looking for an Arduino enclosure with buttons on it. Is there anything available that's relatively plug-and-play? I don't mind soldering together the boards but I'd prefer to buy a finished enclosure with buttons on it ready to go so I can focus on programming the arduino and wiring it up.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I keep my Hue setup pretty simple, just a bunch of timers to fade through various scenes. At dusk it steps through an artificial sunset eventually ending up in a dim "telenoche", then finally off.

Similar timer setup in my office, but with a Bloom light only, and more focused on daytime lighting obviously.

The Tap switch is great too, but if you're considering programming stuff and using hardware then it might not be useful.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
I have mine in my gaming room. They're currently set up with my Logitech Smart Control to change colors when I turn on a console (currently they change to green if I turn on my Xbox, and Blue for the PS4). I like them a lot.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like the look of these and when I move house at some point soon I'm going to look into picking some up. But the website is a bit poo poo at explaining what you can actually do with a basic set, can anyone explain that bit for me? Seems like with a few other bits and pieces you can get them to do pretty much anything but right out of the box what are they capable of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

88h88 posted:

I like the look of these and when I move house at some point soon I'm going to look into picking some up. But the website is a bit poo poo at explaining what you can actually do with a basic set, can anyone explain that bit for me? Seems like with a few other bits and pieces you can get them to do pretty much anything but right out of the box what are they capable of?

Not a whole lot. You basically have a smartphone app that lets you turn them on, off, and set brightness and color. They have "scenes" where you can set each lamp to a different color and a bunch of other kinda lame poo poo. The cool thing about them is that they're programmable and extendable with other systems you might have in your house. They're kind of new at the moment so there's still a lot of work being done with them.

At the moment, given the price, and the fact that they don't handle power outages well, there's no way I'd install them in my entire house, but for a living room / media room they are pretty neat. I've got a projector so it's nice to be able to dim the room to a nice pale orange or blue when playing video games or watching a movie, for example. I bought a set of floor lamps with big box shades and stuck them in each corner of my living room.

Totally overpriced and gimmicky, but also pretty cool. I'd really like to see some competing products in this space, especially compatible ones.

• Locked thread