Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm not nearly decisive enough to vote on something like this, but if you've got this scenario all planned out in advance, could we have a montage of what could have been once it's all over? Just for curiosity's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yeah, I guess I feel safer getting out of Shooty McMurder territory.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh wow, I haven't got time tonight to read this thread but I couldn't wait to say that this idea is really cool and I'm excited to see how your experiment goes. :]

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bacter posted:

And I'm assuming nobody wants to look at house #2? I'm not saying that's a BAD idea, mind (or it might be!)

Well since we've already seen that he got past house #2 and to the intersection without serious injury/dying, it must have been safe. Retroactively search the house.

Also, a little research says that those are butterworms and very nutritious. Eat them. (Research also revealed that they're the larva of the Chilean moth but we already figured out the Chile thing)

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 21, 2015

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I think we should drink the booze for Dutch courage then investigate the second house.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
You Turn Right

BONUS COMBO PRE-UPDATE "APOLOGY"

Hey, everybody! Sorry about the delay - I'm getting my PhD, and sometimes when a guy is doing that, you need to become a recluse hermit for like a month. Hopefully back on schedule now.

Alright, yes, I admit, I did also download New Vegas and play it more than is healthy to play.

If you're looking to buy, the DLC is worth it, but Old World Blues is better than Dead Money and Honest Hearts, which are tied and better than Lonesome Road.

ANYWAY. Last time, we decided to turn right and head towards the "port".

Keep in mind, incidentally, that I don't choose these locations - they're randomly generated. I'm not saying anything in particular, and heading towards a port really is a good idea, but if something that seems logical doesn't work out, well, that's life!

Sitting down and collecting yourself, you eat an Avocado and the worms. You feel a surge of energy, as those power foods do their magic, giving you some pep up and go!

You take one last look at the road you've traveled so far. You look at the second house for a moment, but then, hearing another crak from down the road, you decide to hurry on your way, with one additional bottle of alcohol you grabbed from the hut.

Since you need to leave the country, you head towards the port city!

You notice a sign, and with your smattering of Spanish, you remember that "alto" is high. Put that together with the flame symbol and the fun cartoon beaver(?), and you'd guess the message is either "there are lots of forest fires", or "forests in high altitudes catch on fire easily"!

As one final note, you see that somebody's flattened the stop sign here.

With a pace quickened significantly by the threats from behind, you set out going right.

It's not blisteringly hot out, but it's quite humid, and you find yourself sweating heavily as you trudge along.

The roads are well-maintained, and a car or truck passes by maybe every ten to twenty minutes. This is a fairly well-traveled highway.

When they pass by, you make sure to stay off-road. You don't quite blend in, in your formal attire, but you're dust-covered enough to not attract undue attention. Unless someone was looking for you.

You quickly drain almost all the water you have, and you are grateful for a cross-breeze or some passing cloud cover.

Clouds are moving in, and you think it might rain soon. You have no idea how cold it will get at night, or how far you are - no further signs have given any sense of mileage to Puerto Cardenas.

You pass one house, about 20 minutes into your walk.

A sign declares it to be a "Ferreteria". Your smattering of Spanish lets you know that this is a shop of some kind, but you have no idea what kind. You'd guess something mechanical, based on the banging sound of metal on metal coming within.

Nervous from your previous encounters, you scout ahead a little.

The road increases in grade, you're now decidedly marching uphill. Your water is now gone, but for all you know, Puero Cardenas COULD be just on the other side of this mountain.

Any kind of mile (or, you guess, Kilometer) signage would be just... just really welcome.

For a large road like this, you're surprised you haven't seen more.

Also, there's a horse.

You take stock of your situation.

It's pretty hot, and it's a humid heat.

It's been about 3 hours, and you'd estimate you've gone somewhere around 10 miles. You're pretty tired.

You're still dressed like you arrived here, and you're more or less out of water.

You've got a bottle of alcohol, which is TECHNICALLY fluid, and is starting to look better and better.

You still don't know who those men were, looking for you, or how many people are looking for you. For all you know, everybody around here is.

You could continue on, hoping to hit Puero Cardenas before you run out of fluid

You could check out the ferreteria. flag down a motorist or invent some novel solution to getting around!.

Friends, WHAT DO WE DO!

Now, on to some questions and a few points.

whitehelm posted:

Also, a little research says that those are butterworms and very nutritious. Eat them. (Research also revealed that they're the larva of the Chilean moth but we already figured out the Chile thing)

This is fine, since it came early in the LP, but again, we're only supposed to know what this guy knows (or what we can guess from observation). No googlin'!

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm not nearly decisive enough to vote on something like this, but if you've got this scenario all planned out in advance, could we have a montage of what could have been once it's all over? Just for curiosity's sake.

Sure, I can do that. I'll put it in spoilers for those who'd rather keep the mystery going!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

How feasible is riding that horse?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ride the horse to freedom!

Also go into the ferreteria and buy/beg/steal water

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Is this guy a secret equestrian? Or a non-secret equestrian? If so, horse it up, baby!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Before we steal that horse, let's check out the ferreteria because I'm pretty sure it's a shop that sells ferrets, and it'd be pretty cool to have a talking ferret as a companion on this trip. (The clanking metal sound is probably just the ferrets playing horseshoes.)

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
we really need water so check the shop
After which, horse!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Shop to beg for water and a phone call

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Stealing horses is the the kind of thing that gets you shot, so leave that horse alone

I know from English that "ferrous" means iron, so that's probably some kind of ironworking shop. But where there's humans, there's water, so head in and see if you can get some water.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I agree, leave the horse alone :v:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Also go into the ferreteria, my bad

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Ride the horse! It looks abandoned and its better then taking our chances at a shop where we know they have stuff to kill us with.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Not sure how prone we are to stealing, aside from what we took from the place before, probably a good idea to look for some cloth to make shift bandages or clothing as needed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Added Space posted:

Stealing horses is the the kind of thing that gets you shot, so leave that horse alone

I'm less worried about this and more worried about getting violently kicked. In any case, don't touch that horse.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You're not on a horse

Pre-Update Note: None of This Happened
(real update to follow)

So, as mentioned, I'm doing some behind-the-scenes work, Dungeon-Master style here. I'll endeavor to keep hard numerical calculations away from the front of this as much as possible (I'm really conducting this more like a White Wolf style storyteller than a Donjon master), but I'll let you in on this one:

Riding the horse, if we had succeeded, would have been awesome (unless somebody had caught us stealing their horse, and then you'd better BELIEVE they would have at least shot AT us). We almost certainly would not have ridden that horse. We're not an equestrian, we've got no prior training, and that thing had no stirrups or saddle. We're reasonably athletic, and driven to get where we're going, but we're still kind of freaked out. That means we'd have to mount the horse, get steady on the horse, and ride the horse in our chosen direction. How would you steer it? Grab its mane? Slap the side of its head? I have no idea!

So just as a f'rinstance, I'll say we'd have to pass (again, I'd normally hide this from you), a 15-or-better check to mount the horse, a 10-or-better check to stay ON the horse, and a 12-or-better check to get the horse going in the direction we want.

As of right now, I haven't done the die rolls. I'm doing them now.

I'm using the d20 Dice Bag for hypertext dice.

LET'S ROLL

You sons of guns.

This is going to be like that time I was a kid, and my mom wanted to teach me a lesson about how I could either use a dollar to buy some candy or worthless lottery ticket, and I won thirty bucks.

Phew.

Ok. We're thrown from the horse. Pretty badly. I'd do some juju at this point to discover exactly what the damage was, but we're probably talking dislocated shoulder, if not outright broken arm. Not to mention if anybody had seen us try to get ON the horse, we'd be in just as much trouble as if we'd stolen it.

So I'm not saying don't try awesome stuff, I'm just saying we MIGHT die.

END EXAMPLE

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

REAL UPDATE

You and the mechanic

Deciding that human contact was the better part of valor, you head into the "ferreteria".

You walk hesitantly up the gravel driveway. In the back of the store, you hear the noise of a fire burning, but besides the hammering sound, the area is otherwise silent.

There is what looks like a shady spot or... maybe bus stop? out front.

The first thing you notice when you walk in is that you've evidently walked into a hardware store.

The second thing you notice is that the hammering sound has stopped.

You don't notice the third thing until it's pressed up against your neck, and it's a knife.

You stand totally, completely still.

Before you can say anything, a child runs from behind the counter, wide-eyed, in a yellow t-shirt and baggy green shorts:

"Papá! Esto es el guero! El guero!"

You're not sure what a guero is, but they were apparently expecting you.

A hard shove pushes you forward, and you turn to see a stocky man, maybe 5'7" or so, balding in an upside-down U shape. His face is crinkled with concentration, and his eyes are somewhat wild.

He's holding the knife still, but it's not raised.

He fires off a string of rapid-fire Spanish. You were never fluent, and this is so different from the Castillian you're used to that you've got no chance. You make out a lot of "Cachai"s, "al tiro"s, and "cacho"s. At certain points, he pauses and looks at you, but it becomes evident quickly that you aren't catching on.

His hands become more animated, and his voice strained, as he struggles to be understood, but it's the boy who finally makes some headway. Disappearing into the back room, he comes out with a book. Walking to you, he opens it There is a map of the world in it. "daaay dooondayyyy eraayyysss" he says, exaggerating every word.

Pathetically grateful to understand a phrase (de dónde eres, "where are you from"), you point to the US. The boy nods to his father, and asks ¿A dónde vai? You point to France.

"Well, I want to, anyway" you add, lamely.

You hear a vehicle go by outside, and the boy scampers behind the counter. The man rushes to the window and peers out, until satisfied that the car is driving fast.

Going behind the counter, the man grabs a pen and notebook.

He sketches the same sign you saw on the trucks earlier, and shows it to you.

You nod your head, and point towards where you came from. When he continues to look at you expectantly, you mime hiding and then them driving by.

He looks understanding, and you settle on survival pictionary as the tool of the day.

You explain as best you can, using gestures, that you don't know who the men were, and that you saw them with guns (pretending to hold and fire one, which makes the boy laugh). You hold up the bottle of alcohol and point towards the road as well.

The man's eyes narrow, but your Spanish saves the day ("Lo siento, pero tengo mucho sed!") (Sorry, but I was very thirsty!)

He draws a simple map, circles an area with a red pen, and points to the ground.

You nod your head. That must be here.

He draws another circle, and points to the bottle. You nod vigorously, because a turnoff not far from here matches where you came from exactly.

You motion to the bottle, and mention your thirst again, and he brings out a chair and some water. You sit, and he tries another round of "where are you from" before deciding you're some brand of dense, since you unfortunately don't know Chilean for "amnesia".

You settle for "necesito ir al aeropuerto al Puerto Cardenas", which is reasonably close to "I need to get to the airport at Puerto Cardenas".

He looks at you strangely. "Al pato?"

You look blankly back. You're used to it.

He points to your feet, and mimes walking. He speaks slowly, "Al pato, vas ir a Puerto Cardenas?"

You nod hesitantly. "Si?"

He bursts into laughter.

"Porque no vas al aeropuerto a Chaiten?"

He draws more map:

Circling both ends with red, he said "Aeropuerto a Chaiten" to the one next to you, and "Aeropuerto a Cardenas" to the one which is, uh, very quite far away.

He gets out that you'd probably have died of thirst if you tried to walk to Cardenas, and it's the funniest joke he's made all week. You laugh along a little, and hold out your thumb like you were hitchhiking. He laughs even harder and makes the universal throat-slit symbol for "bad idea". The son is sitting on a stool, kicking his feet and following along as best he can. You feel the best you have since you woke up, and realize you're grateful to be among any sympathetic humans.

You point to the symbol again and point to yourself, a questioning look in your eyes. The man nods and

The ice more or less broken at this point, you decide to go for broke and ask if you can go together into Chaiten.

He points at the house on the map, and then at you and he. You nod, but point at the symbol, and trace the road back where they went. He nods, goes behind the counter, and comes back with a shotgun.

He spends some time locking his son into the house behind the store and closing and locking the store. You can't help but notice what looks like an electric current hooked up to the front door of the store. You point at it, and he laughs more and pantomimes a person trying to open a door or window and seizing from electrical shock.

This guy's ok.

You pile into an old blue truck and chug north, towards Chaiten.

(Nothin' to decide! Next update coming soon!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yay good guy mechanic!

• Locked thread