Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm not sure what you mean by "change yor OS to the SSD"? Is there actually two installs of Windows hanging around? Hitting up the Boot Options in your BIOS should let you see any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "change yor OS to the SSD"? Is there actually two installs of Windows hanging around? Hitting up the Boot Options in your BIOS should let you see any

I think so, I can get better details in a second.

I went to bios but couldn’t figure out some stuff give me a minute.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 5, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My pc needs to do a bunch of updates so I will come back tomorrow.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
If you try to install an OS on a PC with broken RAM, you're going to have a bad time. The new install, or the restored backup, or whatever, will likely be corrupted even worse by your bad RAM chip, because all the processing of the backup happens via RAM. Solve your problems in the correct order or suffer the consequences.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
When an obviously non-technical user says "memory issues", you can't make the leap to assume that RAM is actually bad. Or anything else really. Could just be bluescreens with a memory address error or something.

(RAM doesn't fail very often, so this is a low-odds bet.)

MonsterEnvy posted:

Can someone tell me how to change my OS back to my SSD

MonsterEnvy posted:

But currently I want to change my OS back to the SSD with all my stuff in it. It reset to the default and I want it back to that state. I can deal with the memory issues after.

If your OS "went back in time" several years I'd assume that when you added the SSD you installed a new copy of Windows on that, and your old HDD still has the old windows on it.

Fix attempt 1: you need to enter your computer's BIOS and select the SSD as the boot drive

Fix attempt 2: make a Windows installer USB stick (here), unplug the HDD, and try to use the startup repair system

This may be a difficult problem for you to solve, as having windows spread across two drives like this is a can of worms.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I was not clear sorry. Someone else built and installed stuff on the PC for me few years back.

Though looking at it. I don’t think it actually went back in time. The primary hard drive just changed back to the original one.

Also yes my primary issues have been blue screens, and games crashing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 5, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Klyith posted:

Fix attempt 1: you need to enter your computer's BIOS and select the SSD as the boot drive

Fix attempt 2: make a Windows installer USB stick (here), unplug the HDD, and try to use the startup repair system

The first option is not working for me, nothing changes no matter what drive I pick as the boot one. I don't really get it yet.

The second thing is what started this mess for me. I am guessing by reinstalling windows to the original hard drive. But it's my best option right now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You probably want to run memtest86 for a few runs and see if you are getting memory errors, because if your RAM is bad then no amount of reinstalls is going to help.

I can't remember if memtest86 or memtest86+ is preferred, so I'm going to link both below:

https://www.memtest86.com/
https://www.memtest.org/

Basically you want to install one of them on a thumb drive, boot from the thumb drive, set the test running and see if it generates errors. If you do, then you at least know you're dealing with bad RAM and have a place to start.

Was it a terrible thing to use this on a passport ultra. After using this it seems like all the space on it is gone. Edit: I fixed this.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 5, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I realized were I made my first mistake. After I made the installer USB stick, I started the installation directly from the stick rather, than restarting the computer and booting it up.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

e: missed later posts

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel like am going to cry

No matter what I do I can't make the OS start from the other drive.

Klyith posted:

There must be something I am not getting. Cause I have been trying to do this and nothing is changing.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel like am going to cry

No matter what I do I can't make the OS start from the other drive.

Verify the old install is still valid by physically unplugging the power cables from the new drive(s). Leave only the drive you're trying to boot powered up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

karoshi posted:

Verify the old install is still valid by physically unplugging the power cables from the new drive(s). Leave only the drive you're trying to boot powered up.

I have no idea were anything is in there. A result of not building it myself, but having a custom one.

Anyway I have contacted the local Tech people which I should have done in the first place. I will just use a slightly nerfed computer for now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It must take a willful act to have drives named a and b that aren't floppies, right? Like, manually assign the letter kinda thing. I've never seen it. Don't even think it's the problem, but weird to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flipperwaldt posted:

It must take a willful act to have drives named a and b that aren't floppies, right? Like, manually assign the letter kinda thing. I've never seen it. Don't even think it's the problem, but weird to me.

B was originally E but in my haste to fix things, I reformatted it and copied everything over. Which caused it's new letter to be B.

Another thing I regret.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Honestly, it sounds like you need the help of someone who knows enough to help out to do so in person. You seem to know just enough to be dangerous and I'm worried you'll misinterpret something written here and wipe your old data.

If you're not confident enough to unplug physical drives inside a case then I don't know that you're confident enough to be changing BIOS boot orders, etc.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MonsterEnvy posted:

B was originally E but in my haste to fix things, I reformatted it and copied everything over. Which caused it's new letter to be B.

Another thing I regret.

If you're looking your old documents and files etc., check each of those drives for a folder called Windows.old - if you find that, navigate to the Users folder and see if you can recover files.

But I'd concur with the above recommendation to have someone who knows what they're doing to assist you in person. It can take a few minutes to make a hash of a computer, and one could waste weeks trying to rectify it.

Many of us will be speaking from experience here.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Having drives assigned to A: and B: is harmless but it's a pretty good sign you need help from someone more knowledgable because I can't think of a good reason you would have done that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I have a proper tech person coming over, and my old data is being recovered.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I have a proper tech person coming over, and my old data is being recovered.

Excellent. What I would do is back up all your data, format all your drives, install Windows on the SSD, assign drive letters to the ones you want to use for data storage and transfer your files back across.

After that it's just a matter of reinstalling and configuring your programs.

Do you have any cloud storage accounts? If not, that's an easy recommend.

Edit: Assuming the hardware is all working correctly for the above.

I'm sure it's been stressful for you, I remember making an absolute bollocks of our first PC back in the mid-90s where it wouldn't boot for a few days because I did something stupid. Bear in mind that help wasn't really accessible.

I still remember the euphoria I felt when I figured out how to reinstall Windows 95.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 7, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I managed to overwrite and then recover my MBR during a slightly stressful easter vacation in highschool when trying to install Solaris 8/x86 alongside FreeBSD, BeOS and Windows on a single disk. Definitely a learning occasion, but :ohdear:

No backups, ofc.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Computer viking posted:

I managed to overwrite and then recover my MBR during a slightly stressful easter vacation in highschool when trying to install Solaris 8/x86 alongside FreeBSD, BeOS and Windows on a single disk. Definitely a learning occasion, but :ohdear:

No backups, ofc.

You monster. I got home from the bar drunk one night in 2005 and installed Windows Vista Beta 1 because I wanted pretty animations and the new UI. Lost that year's assignments for university. Plus, that's when betas were really betas, like the arm torture thing in Flash Gordon, or in Vista's case, Medusa's noggin.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You monster. I got home from the bar drunk one night in 2005 and installed Windows Vista Beta 1 because I wanted pretty animations and the new UI. Lost that year's assignments for university. Plus, that's when betas were really betas, like the arm torture thing in Flash Gordon, or in Vista's case, Medusa's noggin.

I've had strangely good luck with weird windows versions, but that sounds extremely like something I could have done.

Also, I'm apparently not crazy and Solaris 8 really was made available for free (though closed-source) in 2000, which would have been the middle of my first year in high school. Strangely hard to find mention of, it's nearly entirely drowned out by the OpenSolaris 10 release five years later.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Many of us will be speaking from experience here.

I did absolutely not render my best friend's PC unbootable when trying to put a newer version of DOS onto it. (Copy C:\dos from a newer PC onto a floppy, copy that onto the older PC, easy peasy! What could go wrong?)

I did absolutely not sheepishly sneak out without fessing up to his parents that my brilliant plan was why the computer now just had an error message when you turned it on.

It was not my fault that he had to use a commodore 64 for a few months while his folks saved some money to get the thing fixed.

Anyone who says so is repeating terrible falsehoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's really weird how a friend of mine got two DoA Abit motherboards back to back when I built his PC for him.
Also, in completely unrelated news, it's odd how many screw holes for standoffs there are in cases that nominally only support ATX motherboards.