Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Yes, in just a few moments time, I will take my old Diesel for a lap (or three, if it sticks together) around the ring.

I'm just an ordinary guy from Sweden, However, since I first read about the ring in an old car magazine 25 years ago, I knew I had to drive there.

Since then I have been here a few times, first time was with my old GSX-R 600. Scary as gently caress, but mostly because I'm a terrible rider. The bike was quite well behaved.

Next time was with my old BMW 540 automatic station wagon. Not a bad car, considering the weight and the too skinny tires of chinese make. However I only got one fully dry lap. After about 2 miles the brakes were shot. I blame the no-name pads.

This time it was supposed to be with my Peugeot 307cc . A slow hairdressers car, but not entirely boring to drive. A sensible car for commuting and getting the top down adds something to the driving experiance, for sure. I liked it. Unfortunately my dear mother insisted that she buy it from me and I was already getting sort of bored and frustrated with the lack of trunk space. She is super happy with it.

So this time I bought a sensible old hatchback Diesel for commuting even cheaper. Nothing too fancy. Previous owner was a lady in her early seventies...
I'm a firm believer in that its more entertaining driving a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. The 540 station wagon was nice, but these days with how crowded the autobahn is, its not many seconds you can get above 130mph before you have to slow down to about 90mph.

Guess I could try to upload a few pics later today if there is any interest.

Tapet fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm interested.

Reminded me of this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/30/diesel-citroen-nurburgring-lap-amazing/

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

The New GP-course was open today. I had to try it, since I have never driven on a proper modern international racetrack before. It was wide! And smooth!

I would also seem it was supercar tuesday around here. A new 911 seemed like it was on the lower end of cars running about.
To be perfectly honest I was getting passed left, right and center. Corners and straights alike. The only place I could keep up and maybe get some time back was in the braking zones, which is strange since my brakes are bog standard.

Anyway It was quite good fun, but it would be better if there was some equal machinery to slug it out with.

On to the main course: Nordschleife. Well, the que to the entrance was enourmous. I have never seen anything like it on my visits here. Probably because those visits were about a month earlier and the German vacation is right about now? Something to keep in mind for my next time...

Also here there were a lot of high performance cars. The lowly 90s golf GTi on street tires, of which there used to dozens, were conspicously absent. After a while they closed the track, some sort of accident I guess. Well one lap is good enough I suppose. I'll see if I can get in a few more tomorrow.

Full disclosure: People tell me I'm crazy going upwards of 1000 miles just to drive around a racetrack a few times, and then going home again. Even more so considering I'm a taxi driver by profession and earn what is in my country considered pretty much minimum wage.
It certainly is hilariously expensive if you measure it by tracktime/dollar. . Would I rather do like most people in my country and book a 2 week trip to Thailand, sipping drinks on the beach for the same money? Hell no!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Tapet posted:

Would I rather do like most people in my country and book a 2 week trip to Thailand, sipping drinks on the beach for the same money? Hell no!

There's so many other ways of vacationing that I'd rather do than this. Skiing, mountain biking, seeking out fun driving roads, etc. If I ever go to SE asia, it'll be to ride motorcycles.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
People might think you're nuts but I'm not seeing a problem here. Of course, in 2012 I towed a $500 crapcan truck a thousand miles, spent a grand total of a day and a half four-wheeling, then towed it a thousand miles home again. It was fun and I'd do it again :v:

Hell, Geirskogul just did like 700 or a thousand mile trip one way in a 40 year old aircooled VW bus he hadn't even seen in person yet.

This kind of thing is what AI is about :getin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
This rules and post pictures.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Fingers crossed this will be a huge bait thread that ends with OP's car being some kind of crazy AWD twin engine TDI that makes 600+hp and crazyballs torque and he blows the doors off of super cars all day long.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

DrakeriderCa posted:

Fingers crossed this will be a huge bait thread that ends with OP's car being some kind of crazy AWD twin engine TDI that makes 600+hp and crazyballs torque and he blows the doors off of super cars all day long.

I was going to post something similar but your post will do

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DrakeriderCa posted:

Either that or like a military surplus truck.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tapet posted:

It certainly is hilariously expensive if you measure it by tracktime/dollar. . Would I rather do like most people in my country and book a 2 week trip to Thailand, sipping drinks on the beach for the same money? Hell no!

It seems perfectly reasonable to me, in essence, I moved there to do the 'ring and go to Le Mans, so you're in good company here :) post pics!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DrakeriderCa posted:

I was sat here thinking "...but what car is it?" and afraid to ask in case I missed an obvious tell in the first post.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

First i want to say you guys rock! I was a bit nervous about the reception of this thread, seems like I worried for nothing!

I'm on a really crappy wifi here, so no chance of uploading videos until I get home. But some screencaps perhaps?

Passing an old Audi A4:

Passing an BMW E90 M3:

Yours truly
Tapet

Tapet fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 12, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright it's got wipers and two washer nozzles, get googling kids.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Er. 8 bar is 116psi.

:eyepop:

I'm a little scared.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

88h88 posted:

Er. 8 bar is 116psi.

:eyepop:

I'm a little scared.

Sorry, thats .8 of a bar. The white dot is not really visible. 1.6 bar is full boost for this engine.

Tapet fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 12, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I was gonna ask if that was right.

FALSE ALARM GUYS.

Either way I can't wait to see more.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Enourmo posted:

Alright it's got wipers and two washer nozzles, get googling kids.

OK, so we know it's not a Saab.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

88h88 posted:

I was gonna ask if that was right.

FALSE ALARM GUYS.

Either way I can't wait to see more.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to dissapoint you guys: It's exactly like described in my second post. Its just kind of an ordinary Diesel hatchback.

I have neither the money, nor the time, nor the space, nor the equipment, (and most of all I can't wrench for poo poo) to build some kind of fire-breathing monster.
So in that respect I'm not "one of you". Also gas/diesel is expensive here. With yearly earnings like mine you have got to consider it.

However, I like to believe that what I lack in the those departments, I make up in enthusiasm to drive the poo poo out whatever vehicle I'm piloting. That has to count for something right?

Tapet fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 12, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tapet posted:

However, I like to believe that what I lack in the those departments, I make up in enthusiasm to drive the poo poo out whatever vehicle I'm piloting. That has to count for something right?

It's the old 'more fun to drive a slow car fast' thing. So yeah. Hoon alllllllllllllll the cars.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

I hate to take the mystery narrative out of this thread but "Honesty last the longest" as we say in Sweden:

Here is the Mystery car:

A BMW 120D 6-speed M-sport 2007.

Euro Goons can think of it roughly equivalent to a Golf GTD, but with rear wheel drive.
For America-goons its more or less like a Golf GTI of the same year, but with a bit less power. Not a rocket with its 180hp/3200lbs but it does the job. Its all about keeping the momentum up.

Hate to bore you with fuel figures but it does 64mpg at best cruising speed and still gets about 24mpg at 120mph. Not to shabby for what to me is a pretty fun car to drive. The seats are inflatable with a push-button so you can sit so snugly it almost hurts. A nice feature.

It's the most expensive car that I have ever owned by far at $12k, but I hope that it will be worth the quite substantial loan I took to buy it.

It's also seemingly very well kept. All service records checks out. I also drove a brand new 2016 model at the dealer and could tell no difference in the handling or power, not that I ever could afford a new one at $45k.

I know it's not the kind of "rusted-out-beat-to-poo poo-giant-slaying-sleeper" I like to read about. For that I'm sorry.

That kind of story would belong to the Peugeot I just sold to my mother. That was a car with a reputation so "gay" even Carson from the "queer eye" show wouldn't drive it for being too fruity.

Tapet fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 12, 2015

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Few more pics:

Some nice Norweigan guys with a nice BMW M635.

True to form, they bought me beer all evening "We're oil millionaires, so what is a few € between friends" they said.

I like sciroccos in this color. You guys get those in the US?

You know you're in the right place when your hotel got a DTM Merc in the lobby:

A common sight around the GP-track: A 911 Turbo, a souped up 944 Turbo, a 911 GT3 and a Ferrari 458. All passed me like I stod still on the straight, into the corner:

Tapet fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 12, 2015

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

I was a bit tempted to steal the transit bus I drive at work and try to replicate Sabine Schmidts feat of just over 10 minutes.... but decided against it.

This was how it looked 2 years ago when I took my 540 station wagon around for a lap.

Forever yours
Tapet

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

So, my running for the day has come to an end. Just one lap today as well.

This is where I vent my frustration about some people not getting that the 'ring is a 95% kind of a track, not a 100% one:

If you go off the track, you go into the railing. Period.

Today I think the track was accident free a grand total of 30 minutes all in all. With the queue for the next lap I dont think anyone had time for more than one lap.

As a cherry on the sundae, of course the guy directly in front of me was some kind of Sebastian Vettel wannabee who put laptime above all else.
The ring is classed as a public road and you are supposed to let faster cars through as quickly as possible, just as you would on the autobahn. Everyone who's not an rear end in a top hat knows that.

This guy let a grand total of zero cars through voluntarily, which had the effect of him having a constant 5 car train right behind him. I would even say it was getting kind of dangerous because the faster cars which arrived from behind obviously thought he would get out of the way, as is customary, only for him to weave across the track almost like he was blocking them.
Forget me getting passed him with a car that is slower in a straight line.

To top it off, after the lap is finished you're supposed to come at a stop and line up in a queue for the next lap. The queue was slightly uphill. While this Bozo was fixing with his camera he rolled backwards almost 20 feet. I had given this moron ample space just in case something like that would happen, but it wasn't enough. Luckily I quickly reached out to signal and the blissful idot realised what about to happen and came to a stop before he crasched into me rolling backwards.

But still, all that aside my car was running great considering what it is, and I felt I did a pretty good job to. I guess I can take satisfaction in that.

I'll post a lot of pictures later I took on the small parking lot next to the 'ring while I waited for the track to open again. Sadly it wasn't to be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I want it so bad.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

From the parking lot:

A nice, new M5

Yes, those rotors fill out a 20" wheel completely. Bonkers.

Seat is a quite popular brand here. As you may know, they are currently in somewhat of a catfight with Renault over who's got the fastest front wheel drive car around the ring.

Italian S2000. Looking at the stickers with track profiles on the windshield, it seems it's been around the block.

Renault 5 GT turbo. Pretty souped up of course.

"Mathilda" is preparing for a run

The new Renault Clio RS looks pretty sweet

This fine British Gentleman prefer his cars well proven. Saw it on the GP-track. It really was pretty quick.

Campervan in original, unrestored condition:

With extra air-scoop for more power in the heat.

That'll have to do for today. I have to get up pretty early tomorrow if I'm gonna make the 1000 miles home tomorrow before night.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Hey I was there last weekend:

So the problem I heard is that the new owners don't have enough flag people. So ANY accident, breakdown, whatever causes a complete track closure. We saw the entire track get shut down because someone ran out of gas.

We were there from 9-6pm and got in a total of 6 laps.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's up E87 buddy? :denmark::respek::sweden:

What's all included in the M-sport? Is it the upgraded suspension, and how do you find it? I wouldn't exactly call the stock suspension forgiving.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tapet posted:

I have neither the money, nor the time, nor the space, nor the equipment, (and most of all I can't wrench for poo poo) to build some kind of fire-breathing monster.
So in that respect I'm not "one of you". Also gas/diesel is expensive here. With yearly earnings like mine you have got to consider it.

And you are right, regardless of what you bring to the Nurburgring, like a pilgrim coming to Mecca you have completed your obligation to allah god AJ Foyt.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

glad you enjoyed it pal. I made my own pilgrimage there last year, stayed in one of the small hotels nearby and rented with rent4ring. By some chance or trick of fate, I ran into 3 other kiwis while I was there, all of us there for the same reason. It's a special place, and one that you will never be able to explain to anyone who is not interested in cars.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

bolind posted:

What's up E87 buddy? :denmark::respek::sweden:

What's all included in the M-sport? Is it the upgraded suspension, and how do you find it? I wouldn't exactly call the stock suspension forgiving.

It's quite a bit.

-17" M Wheels. (The 18" ones you and I got cost extra I suppose?)

- Lower and firmer springs/dampers. Don't know if swaybar is any different. I have driven normal ones and it's not all that different but it is noticeably firmer/sportier/harsher.

- Brakes are the same I believe, bigger ones was extra €. Quite a lot extra € if you wanted the M performance ones.

- Different front bumper with bigger air intake for brakes, different rear bumper with faux diffuser.

-M steering Wheel with perforated leather and thumb grips.

-M gear shift knob, which is supposed to be shorter?.

-M sports seats which are inflatable as I said and has some kind of rugged textile middle/leather sides.

-Black roof lining which the germans seems to love. It looks cooler than off white I guess.

-Black gloss window trim

Thats on top of my head, but I think that should be pretty much everything. Engine is unchanged.
I think you could get almost everything separately as an option for the non M-sport as well?

Tapet fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 13, 2015

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

Hey I was there last weekend:

So the problem I heard is that the new owners don't have enough flag people. So ANY accident, breakdown, whatever causes a complete track closure. We saw the entire track get shut down because someone ran out of gas.

We were there from 9-6pm and got in a total of 6 laps.

That makes sense. Still, next time I'll go in July or earlier.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Das Volk posted:

And you are right, regardless of what you bring to the Nurburgring, like a pilgrim coming to Mecca you have completed your obligation to allah god AJ Foyt.

Amen brother. The earlier link with citroen ax is just the right spirit. But I cant hate on those guys crawling around at snails pace with their lambo. At least they gave it a shot. When it's open for the public, the ring isn't a real race track, and there certainly isn't a race going on. It's about having fun.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Two Finger posted:

glad you enjoyed it pal. I made my own pilgrimage there last year, stayed in one of the small hotels nearby and rented with rent4ring. By some chance or trick of fate, I ran into 3 other kiwis while I was there, all of us there for the same reason. It's a special place, and one that you will never be able to explain to anyone who is not interested in cars.

I have thought about renting a car, but there is some strange part of me that wants to drive in my own car.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tapet posted:

It's quite a bit.

-17" M Wheels. (The 18" ones you and I got cost extra I suppose?)

My 18"'s came with the car. I think it's an easy thing to slap on to sell the car initially. Mine was one of the first facelifted models in DK, so they tarted it up a bit. I like the looks of them, but if I could trade them for a set of 17"s I would. They make things a liiiitle too harsh, even on the stock suspension.

Tapet posted:

- Brakes are the same I believe, bigger ones was extra €. Quite a lot extra € if you wanted the M performance ones.

I think they're called "BMW Performance" and they're yellow. They're major, major bucks and limits your wheel selection quite a bit. A guy on bmw1.dk got the upgrade, then winter came, and he realized he couldn't make it through without winter wheels, and the only ones that would fit were 18"+, which cost €€€€, and winter tires in that size cost additional €€€€ and so on.

Tapet posted:

-M steering Wheel with perforated leather and thumb grips.

-M gear shift knob, which is supposed to be shorter?.

These are easy upgrades, I have them. Only bitch is that a specific M airbag is needed, which is expensive and sought after.

Tapet posted:

-M sports seats which are inflatable as I said and has some kind of rugged textile middle/leather sides.

I have those.

In my living room.

Where they've been for three years. And counting. :suicide:

Tapet posted:

-Black roof lining which the germans seems to love. It looks cooler than off white I guess.

It looks cool as hell but even used they go for lots of money.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Am I the only one that read the thread title and immediately thought of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjHjm0O5M

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Am I the only one that read the thread title and immediately thought of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjHjm0O5M

First post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

88h88 posted:

First post!

Ha, I can't read or click on things, it seems.

• Locked thread