Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am p good at being an investor therefore I must be great at being a politician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
thank you OP this was a good article

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I am p good at being a programmer therefore I must be great at posting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my idiot libertarian friend used to think like that. he told me that AI being made to suffer or being killed is the biggest problem facing the world in the next 50 years*. a literal child living in a fantasy world, in an adult body.

* my reply was clean drinking water.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Management posted:

my idiot libertarian friend used to think like that. he told me that AI being made to suffer or being killed is the biggest problem facing the world in the next 50 years*. a literal child living in a fantasy world, in an adult body.

* my reply was clean drinking water.

you know how little kids enjoy animal stories, because in some ways their level of development is closer to animals than to adult humans?

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

if these dudes did the slightest bit of cognitive science research they would realize that there are serious loving philosophical obstacles to building strong ai, and that no one has the slightest idea how to even approach it right now.

but nope, the dystopian robot hell future just sounds so badass its GOT to be a bigger deal than irl human poverty right????

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GoatFood posted:

if these dudes did the slightest bit of cognitive science research they would realize that there are serious loving philosophical obstacles to building strong ai, and that no one has the slightest idea how to even approach it right now.

but nope, the dystopian robot hell future just sounds so badass its GOT to be a bigger deal than irl human poverty right????

my only exposure to the field is taking 2 undergrad electives in robotics/ai but i was struck over and over again by how ai research is at least as much the study of psychology and philosophy as it is the study of mathematics and logic. not even just the whole "can a computer be a person thing" but like how the roomba exists because the roomba guy's whole philosophy is to mimic the way insects brains interact with their bodies, or how sunflowers turn their heads toward the sun. it ultimately faces the questions of what it means to exist, are we as humans really that special, and if so, can we even define it

those aren't very sexy problems though, so we might as well research how 3-d printers can help us build bunkers to survive the inevitable hookerbot rebellion

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

GoatFood posted:

but don't u see!? the AIs can win a game with a grand total of 64 positions, and a finite number of game states!!

why, just imagine! in another few decades, they might start being able to win at go, a game with 169 positions and a larger number of finite game states!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

Yeah roomba guy (Brooks, I think?) is a v cool dude. i think his approach of building insect-level AI and building up from there is the right one, because really no one has any loving clue what consciousness even is. we don't even know how the brain (be it human or animal) understands/makes sense of sensory input to begin with, but these dorks want to jump right to I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream territory.

the best objection to the possibility of strong AI that I've read is Minds, Brains, and Programs by John Searle. he does a really good job of laying out all the fundamental philosophical problems with making a conscious, thinking AI when we don't understand the nature of thought in the first place. I've yet to hear one of the 'glorious techno singularity' dudes respond competently to the arguments he puts forward. Kurzweil has tried a couple times and failed hilariously.

• Locked thread