Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Problem description: When I press the power switch, nothing happens on screen. No POST, no BIOS info, nothing. The fans in the case spin up. No system beeps. I *think* I can hear HDD clicking, but not sure. My motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth Z87) has red warning LEDs on board for various components, and the CPU Warning LED lights up solid red and stays on. The problem started one day while the system was idling with a normal assortment of programs open (Chrome tabs, Spotify, etc). I came back to the system to find it completely locked up and frozen, the image on the monitor still and no mouse control. I restarted to the above description.

Attempted fixes: Bought a brand new PSU and tried booting with that. RMA'd the motherboard next. When that didn't work I RMA'd the processor. Tried booting with no RAM. Tried booting with no CPU. Reset CMOS, pulled mobo battery, held power button for various lengths of time, etc. None of it produced any different results.

Recent changes: The motherboard, CPU, and video card are newish but had been working just fine together for a couple months before the problem happened.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Premium 64bit

System specs:
Asus Sabertooth Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard
Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
32gb Komputerbay DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz DIMM RAM (4x8gb)
ASUS PSU (I forget what voltage, but I haven't had a problem in the past)
Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, official FAQs aren't much help.

Any ideas? I'm thinking I may just have to eat a few hundred dollars and replace the PSU, CPU, and mobo all at once, but I'd rather not since I just bought these stupid upgrades a couple months ago... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Unplug EVERYTHING from the mobo but the CPU. No hard drive(s), no RAM, no video card. You *should* get post (beep?) error about RAM. Put the RAM in, you should get an error about no video card, etc...

Also, have you tried updating the BIOS after getting the replacement motherboard?

Treytor fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 13, 2015

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Also, are you remembering to connect the 8-pin power connector on the motherboard? Sometimes I forget about that.

Treytor fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 13, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Unplugging everything except fans and the cpu yields the same results. Haven't had a chance to do the bios. I'll try in a little bit.

I do have the 8-pin plugged in.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Can you find out the PSU model?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Can you find out the PSU model?

Antec Earthwatts EA-650
650w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok, so I got it to boot. I flashed the replacement motherboard with an OLD bios, the first one that the notes said supported my cpu chipset, and it booted up. I then flashed it with the latest bios and it still booted up. No idea. In any case, it seems to be running ok now!

Thanks, everyone!

• Locked thread