Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Latavius Murray is a 6'3 230lb (4.38 40 time) 3rd year RB who is now the bell cow runningback for the Oakland Raiders after the departure of Darren McFadden and the retirement of MJD.

2-10-OAK 14 (1:21) L.Murray left tackle to OAK 28 for 14 yards (S.Wright, E.Weddle).

code:
Week		11
Opp	        SD
Dn-Dist		2-10-OAK 14
Q		3
Time		1:21
Yards		14
code:
OAK			V		SD	
# 72 LT D.Penn		v	# 94 DE C.Liuget	
# 69 LG K.Barnes			
# 61 C S.Wisniewski	v	# 54 LB M.Ingram	
# 77 RG A.Howard	v	# 92 NT R.Carrethers	
# 71 RT M.Watson	v	# 91 DE K.Reyes
# 87 TE B.Leonhardt	v	# 96 LB J.Johnson

General

6th round picks rarely get anything handed to them. They have to earn their roster spot, then earn their playing time, and then earn each start one by one. That's the road that Latavius Murray had to take, complicated further by (a) being injured his rookie year and (b) having two big name--but only slightly more expensive--veteran RBs ahead of him.

Murray lost his entire 2013 rookie season to a pre-season injury, so the coaching staff really had no firm grasp of what they had in Murray, which was why the team re-signed McFadden (to a team-friendly contract) and then went out to get Maurice Jones-Drew.

Murray's job was to work hard, keep improving, play on special teams, and then grab any carries during mop up time and show that he should get more relevant playing time. And he did.

2014 was Murray's 2nd year in the NFL, but first year playing, and so in the first 10 weeks of the season, his main job was on special teams (most notably as a kick returner). He had a grand total of 6 carries for 11 yards through Week 10; that's not going to turn any heads.

But it was in Week 11 against San Diego that Murray had a chance to play some meaningful snaps and he made the most of it, flashing some excitement in a running game that had been comatose throughout the year. While DMC and MJD combined for 12 carries and 27 yards, Latavius Murray came in and almost doubled that in one-third the carries. On his 4 carries, Lats had 43 yards (10.8 avg) including bursting out for 14 and 23 on his first two carries. On a day that looked like just another torpid Raiders' running attack, there was a sudden infusion of electricity and Raiders' fans everywhere took notice.

This is a look at his first carry and how that played out and why it was an impressive and important run for him.

Details

21 Personnel, 2 RBs (Murray and Reece) with the TE Brian Leonhardt, and two WRs, Brice Butler and Kenbrell Thompkins. Chargers are in Base 34.

The play is designed to open the Strong side B-gap with two lead blockers clearing the way for Murray. LG Khalif Barnes is pulling on the play and will be the first blocker while FB Marcel Reece will follow. If all goes to plan, there will be a hat-on-hat and a clearing that will let Murray run thru and get into the 2nd / 3rd level.

But things do not go according to plan.

The Chargers front is slanting hard to their right (offensive left) and there are two key matchups that favor SD in the initial engagement :

Menelik Watson v Kendell Reyes
Brian Leonhardt v Jarrett Johnson
Reyes beats Watson to the inside and has now stepped into the desired running lane; beaten so quickly, Watson can only try to wash Reyes onwards to the inside and hope that Leonhardt is able to create a gap to the outside.

Unfortunately, Jarrett Johnson beats Leonhardt as well.

These two matchups have created a problem in the middle of the line.

If there was an exposed hole in the line, the Chargers would have two LBs to fill, Donald Butler and Kavell Conner. The Raiders would be sending two blockers to meet them, so the battle would be

- Barnes v Butler
- Reece v Conner

to create space.

But Reyes and Johnson are now forcing the lead blockers to handle other duties and leaving the two LBs free to swarm to the ball carrier.

At the point of attack, the Raiders now have Brian Leonhardt, Khalif Barnes, and Marcel Reece ALL blocking Jarrett Johnson. That combined 800 lbs of Raiders manages to put Johnson on the ground, but using a triple team on a single LB is a major win for the SD defense.

As Latavius Murray approaches his hole, there are two free defenders and a totally clogged line.

The Chargers defensive front is swarming towards the target hole. On the backside, NT Carrethers is spinning out of RG Austin Howard's block; Carrethers is working back to the running lane also.

It's not hard to imagine the answer to "What Would DMC Do?" We've seen it before. He's see the LB filling the small hole, lower his head and shoulders, explode full-speed ahead, and smash into the Donald Butler for a gain of 2 yards. And that may be one reason the Chargers are so aggressive here; they are used to DMC's style.

But Latavius Murray is not DMC.

Here, Murray "presses the hole", meaning that he gives an attack impression as he approaches the lane. To the defenders, he is showing that he is going one way while preparing to cut away from it. The goal is to draw defenders in and open up outside cut lanes. In this case, Butler and Carrethers are key.

Murray gives a hard jab step and then breaks to his left.

Now the defenders have bunched up at the initial running lane. When Carrethers turns inside, it gives Austin Howard the outside leverage to seal him. The sets the edge for Murray's cutback lane.

The lone remaining containment defender is OLB Melvin Ingram. And C Stefen Wisniewski has stepped downfield to block him. This sets up a clean running lane if Murray can only get to it.

Ingram is in a little bit of a No Man's Land. POTENTIALLY, Murray has a two-way go, meaning that he could either run up inside that cleared lane OR he could plant hard and try to break to the outside. If Ingram overcommits in one direction, he risks leaving an area of the field wide open. But with Wisniewski there and Murray coming full speed, Ingram can't really afford to be passive either.

Murray makes one move--one hard step to the outside--and that gets Ingram to step upfield just enough. Ingram is attacking Murray's outside leg and that allows him to cut hard back up inside and into the hole.

It's just enough. Lats stays just out of Ingram's reach and gets downfield.

14 yards (and a first down) later, Murray is tackled.

Downfield / WR Blocking side note :

Brice Butler was the WR on the backside of this play and his responsibility is to block the CB #29 Craig Mager. Butler gives a decent effort to mirror Mager but a half-hearted one to actually engage him; Butler never gets his hands on the Chargers' CB nor does he make him work. As a result, that CB is able to fly in and get a part of the tackle. Without Magerin the play, Murray on Weddle with half a field open becomes a more interesting matchup for the Raiders.

Downfield blocking by the WRs may turn these nice plays into great plays. DHB in previous years would have made this block; Rod Streater may have made this block. If the Raiders are to continue to manage the running game, all players, including Brice Butler will have to make this play.

Finale

It's just one play. But it's an interesting one and gives some hope to the Raiders' faithful who have grown weary of seeing DMC repeatedly running into a wall of defenders. What Murray showed in this one play was the ability to draw defenders and then to break away from them. Once near a hole, he shows the ability hit it and to get upfield in a hurry.

That's something to be excited about. This coming season will be the first time since 2010 that the Raiders' Opening day Primary RB is not Darren McFadden. And we will see if Latavius Murray is able to live up to the demands of the position.

:siren:I DID NOT MAKE THIS. BUT THE DUDE WHO DID IS AWESOME AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO SHOW SA BECAUSE GOD KNOWS WE NEED SOME INTELLIGENT CONVERSATION ROUND HERE:siren:

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2015/8/9/9124785/a-look-at-latavius-murrays-1st-carry-v-sd
http://imgur.com/a/gkGuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I jousted against a young man named Latavius a good many years ago at Briercourte... ah yes

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

sweet thursday please adhere to the Serious tag, as the Los Angeles Raiders running back position is a serious matter

quote:

Ground attack: Latavius running away with it

Since camp started, all Latavius Murray has done is distance himself from the rest of the running backs as the runaway feature back. Certainly it hasn't helped Roy Helu or Trent Richardson that they have been out large portions of camp, but even when on the field, Murray is head and shoulders the best running back on the field. Today he took a handoff, went left, momentarily surveyed the line, saw his crease open through the left guard gap (of course) and shot through it for a good 15 yards before anyone had a shot to tackle him. These kinds of runs happen probably every practice for Murray.

Meanwhile, Trent Richardson, who is supposed to be his primary competition, still can't seem to get more than a couple yards past the line of scrimmage, Helu isn't practicing, and Michael Dyer and Taiwan Jones are battling for the remaining running back spot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh so that's where Michael Dyer ended up.

You would have thought he would be one of the first RBs taken after his freshman season.

e: Did it ever come out what he did? Wiki isn't helping. At Auburn I mean, I remember the drugs and gun thing at Arkansas State.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 13, 2015

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Derek Carr looks great too. I watched a lot of Raiders games last year somehow and he was head and shoulders above any QB they've had in the past decade.

Also wtf Trent Richardson, the man with zero vision

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
You idiot are you trying to jinx him

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

It's the Raiders, it's not like anything good is going to happen anyway

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
its always cool to see late round picks do good, hope it works out for him. i like roy helu a whole lot and I'm gonna miss him, but he's good at exactly one thing, and hopefully he'll help Derek Carr on 3rd down checkdowns, but he's not a feature back guy.

and trent richardson is unbelievably bad.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Blackula69 posted:

Derek Carr looks great too. I watched a lot of Raiders games last year somehow and he was head and shoulders above any QB they've had in the past decade.

I've said it before - I think Carr may come to be the best QB in his draft class.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Fenrir posted:

I've said it before - I think Carr may come to be the best QB in his draft class.

I also said it in 2002 and he was and the Carrs own and its not their fault that the Texans ruined one of them Super Bowl Winning Quarterback David Carr

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Carr made a beautiful back-shoulder throw in the game against the Steelers last year that was perfect - he's got great technique, a really nice release, and the ball was in the air well before the receiver was out of his break. the guy dropped it because they're the raiders but I was really impressed

Let's see what he can do with an RB built like a linebacker

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Chargers front seven was really bad, hth

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The Raiders will be less good this year because of Murray and more because Carr now has a billion legit guys to throw the ball to like immediately. Murray should have a big year if he isn't overhyped tho for this very reason.

Carr is going to put up loving monster yards

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Fenrir posted:

It might be the dumbest loving reason, but I watched all the Gruden QB camps that year and his was so far ahead of every other guy I would of taken him early 1st round.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Raku posted:

The Raiders will be less good this year because of Murray and more because Carr now has a billion legit guys to throw the ball to like immediately. Murray should have a big year if he isn't overhyped tho for this very reason.

Carr is going to put up loving monster yards

They're going to be bad bro

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

imagine if Carr was on the Bills, that team would roll

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Ross Angeles posted:

They're going to be bad bro

I think their defense is still a ways off from making them a solid team but they're at the very least going to get into a few shootouts

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Update: Latavius Murray ran for a thousand yards last year hire me ESPN

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
:laffo:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
TIMES RAKU WAS OFFICIALLY RIGHT ON THIS FORUM: GREATER THAN ZERO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

• Locked thread