Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So ever-so-gradually over the last couple years I've been picking away on a concept album as I've taught myself to record and mix from the ground up. The result is Toaster at the Bus Stop, a bit of lo-fi psychedelia using numerous field recordings and a lot of cut-and-paste techniques in an attempt to do a kind of "theatre of the mind."

I've put it up at https://soundcloud.com/colorcode-1/sets/toaster-at-the-bus-stop-1 if anyone would care to have a listen. I'm particularly curious to hear what people think of the overall mix and master. (Dynamics in particular have been really difficult throughout.) Any thoughts in general, though, would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it fits into any paricular category, but a few influences were The Residents, The Orb, Peaking Lights, Stan Ridgway, and Brian Eno.

Overall I'm pretty proud of given my means and knowledge when I started working on it, but could definitely use an unbiased ear.

Thanks!

EDIT: Hit enter on accident before I was done editing the thread title. Eh.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
I'm quite enjoying this, the album has a nice interesting variety to it while still sounding like the same artist throughout. Particularly digging the way you build up soundscapes. As for the mixing and so on I'm no expert but it sounds pretty decent to me. I would imagine that there's a strong chance for music like this to come out sounding a bit jumbled and on top of itself but that doesn't seem to be the case here, I feel like I can hear all of the parts of the tracks and that they come together nicely.

Sorry I can't be particularly specific but I thought I would chime in to say I liked it regardless!

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008
Hey, don't really have any advice or criticism, just wanted to say I listened to your album and enjoyed it! Some really scary, trippy moments which I particularly enjoyed. I thought the production sounded really good. Hope you've found an audience other than the SA musician forums, it's not exactly the most active these days. Peace.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Excellent, thanks guys! Just starting to get it out there, wanted to float it past some unbiased ears first. Sounds like you guys enjoyed it for the reasons I hoped. Much appreciated.

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009
I am four tracks in so far and I like it. Well done. One unnecessary but possibly fun suggestion I have if you are going for low-fi psychedelia is to consider panning some of the atmospheric tracks back and forth. Eddie Kramer did this on some Jimi Hendrix stuff and I think it works well. For example, some of the Voodoo Child wah solos really get slammed from ear to ear. It adds to the disorientation or physicality of the solo.

ETA: I am on cheap earbuds but the mixing and mastering sound good to me. Sound levels feel constant. Sounds all cut through and are clear.

Halbey fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Thanks for the good words.

I finalized my tweaks and put it out. It's on Bandcamp now here and out through a friend's label on iTunes, Amazon, etc. Now I'm going to have to teach myself how to find an audience for it. Best regards!

• Locked thread