Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why does Titan have so much synergy with brown abilities but its Magic bonus is for blue weapons? Why are there multiple things that give you +Magic with Tomes? Why doesn't this game make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Has anyone volunteered to run the new thread OP yet? I don't mind doing it, I'm on often enough and still pretty active in game (level 1162 in Boiz).

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Its been great playing in the Boiz, but Since starting my new job I’m finding I don’t have enough time to play much. I’m not big on just hitting the minimum each week to keep a spot when others could use it more so i’ll leave for now.

Thanks again guys.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks to whoever pointed out I can speed up the animations in this game. 1.5x feels crazy fast in a good way. I expect I'll go even higher once I'm used to it.

Now a question that isn't addressed in the new OPs: difficulty levels!

I'm playing on Warlord III on the PvE quests, as my soul-farming team can't hack warlord IV. Hell, sometimes even III is too hard for them. For Arena I generally end up on Hard to be sure of consistent wins. Are these at all sensible choices from a min/maxing point of view? Obviously at the higher difficulties, fights take longer and I have to take longer to think about my actions and sometimes I lose them, so the loss of time all adds up. But I do like having to actually think to win a fight rather than mindlessly spam through.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 6, 2019

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I added bits about difficulty and animation speed to the OP. I think it’s pretty much ready to go. Night Danger Moose, I can PM you a Dropbox link with all the files. Just throw the images on imgur and insert where needed.

Now all we need is a clever title. I’m thinking of "Gems of War: from the devs of Puzzle Quest, it’s... Puzzle Quest". What do you all have?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Gems of War: everyone should forge zuul'goth

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Grundulum posted:

Here’s something unusual: Gems of War is offering me 100 gems for $2. This is actually a really good deal on gems—better even than the 15 gems for 15 days option. If you were considering spending some money on the game, this is the time to do it.

If I spend my :10bux: on this what do I buy with gems (other than the two armors)?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

EvilMayo posted:

If I spend my :10bux: on this what do I buy with gems (other than the two armors)?

According to the new OPs the absolute best use for gems is the Sunday dungeon pack, and the packs for other days aren't to be sneezed at either.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Can you have guild invites while in a guild? Mine is half full and thus half as effective. Code is Ian Dunbar (not my real name so spambots feel free to hit me up)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sighence posted:

Can you have guild invites while in a guild? Mine is half full and thus half as effective. Code is Ian Dunbar (not my real name so spambots feel free to hit me up)

No, you’ll have to leave your current guild first. Post again when you’ve done that and someone will send an invite. Ludo, sorry to see you go. :patriot: You know where to find us if the itch strikes again.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Grundulum posted:

I added bits about difficulty and animation speed to the OP. I think it’s pretty much ready to go. Night Danger Moose, I can PM you a Dropbox link with all the files. Just throw the images on imgur and insert where needed.

Now all we need is a clever title. I’m thinking of "Gems of War: from the devs of Puzzle Quest, it’s... Puzzle Quest". What do you all have?

Go ahead. I'll get all the images uploaded so it's all ready to go once a thread title is decided. That's a good one and I'm definitely trash at clever thread titles.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Raid talk - this seems ideal for the Earth's Fury and the new Boss killer Earthcaller.

I'm running:

Earth's Fury +9 Titan
Earthcaller lvl 19 ***
Ketras *** (also benefits from Fury's attack boosting spell)
Skeleros *** (meh, a placeholder, I should probably replace him)
Meteor (Sin of Maraj) banner.

I'm thinking of subbing in Chief Stronghorn for Skeleros, or maybe the Festival Cow (my new phone background).

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It's early, but I've been using:

Kraken Banner
Titan Earth Crusher
Ketras
Earthcaller
Sunweaver

There aren't a lot of great options for that last slot, but Sunweaver gives a good boost to Ketras/Earthcaller as well 6 mana.

Side question: Do most people prefer Bloodthirsty in the level 70 talent slot? I've always used Stone Mastery paired with a +2 brown banner for guaranteed activation from the start with a single brown match. Coupled with everything else, this virtually lets me chain cast Mountain Crusher until I'm ready to cast my big hitters. I guess it is dependent on what weapon you use, but I can't ever get away from Mountain Crusher. It's just too good.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
I've been using:

Bear Banner (Urskaya)
Gorgon
Earthcaller
Ketras
Primal Axe +5 (Shaman to make everyone else start at half mana, and I gotta level the class anyways)

Tauros are some of the hardest hitting troops in the game. Gorgon is a decent tank who fills up really quick and can help with chains due to his row-clearing ability. Earthcaller is only level 19 but will hit like a truck since its ability is boosted by attack/life/armor just like Ketras. Ketras... is a no-brainer. Trying out the axe to help with chains into the other 3 troops, haven't really made up my mind yet. As of this post Zuul'goth is level 125 and I've been crushing face with the bull boiz.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Bandire posted:

It's early, but I've been using:

Kraken Banner
Titan Earth Crusher
Ketras
Earthcaller
Sunweaver

There aren't a lot of great options for that last slot, but Sunweaver gives a good boost to Ketras/Earthcaller as well 6 mana.

Side question: Do most people prefer Bloodthirsty in the level 70 talent slot? I've always used Stone Mastery paired with a +2 brown banner for guaranteed activation from the start with a single brown match. Coupled with everything else, this virtually lets me chain cast Mountain Crusher until I'm ready to cast my big hitters. I guess it is dependent on what weapon you use, but I can't ever get away from Mountain Crusher. It's just too good.

I did all the early stuff with Earth Crusher, but wasn't hitting hard enough later, I'm using Stronghorn in slot 4 for the bonus on 4 gem matches to the rest of the team. Once Earth's Fury casts a couple of times Ketras and Earthcaller are damage monsters.

My only issue is, if the board doesn't give me the brown matches I need to maintain the barrier on the hero. So far no losses (230).

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

porktree posted:

I did all the early stuff with Earth Crusher, but wasn't hitting hard enough later, I'm using Stronghorn in slot 4 for the bonus on 4 gem matches to the rest of the team. Once Earth's Fury casts a couple of times Ketras and Earthcaller are damage monsters.

My only issue is, if the board doesn't give me the brown matches I need to maintain the barrier on the hero. So far no losses (230).

I ran out of sigils at 180, but it rolled through everything to that point. Earthcaller at Legendary will one-shot the boss up to about 160, and Ketras splash damage still finishes him off. Everything fills up so fast with this hero setup (Titan Mountain Crusher, Stone Mastery at 70, Double brown banner) that it is still going pretty strong. We had some other Tauros restricted event a while back, and this combo served me all the way through if I remember correctly.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Getting the new OP up has hit a roadblock. The mistral in southern France has knocked out internet at the house where I’m staying. Probably won’t have a chance to upload to Dropbox for another 12 hours at the earliest. Possibly as long as 36 hours, by which time I should be back home in Japan.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Grundulum posted:

No, you’ll have to leave your current guild first. Post again when you’ve done that and someone will send an invite. Ludo, sorry to see you go. :patriot: You know where to find us if the itch strikes again.

I have left my pubbie guild. Someone to an invite to Ian Dunbar please.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sighence posted:

I have left my pubbie guild. Someone to an invite to Ian Dunbar please.

Invite sent to Gem Boiz. Let us know if there is a problem accepting it. Looks like 4.2 contained some work on guild invites, so maybe the issues of the past are, well, past.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who’s a good substitute for Ketras the Bull? I still don’t have that unit.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Invite sent to Gem Boiz. Let us know if there is a problem accepting it. Looks like 4.2 contained some work on guild invites, so maybe the issues of the past are, well, past.

It didn't work.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Sighence posted:

It didn't work.

Are you sure that's the right invite code? Mine ended up as SETH_OXMT with username Seth.

Not that I know much of these things

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

This is what I have been using

Sin of Maraj banner
Earth's Fury
Earthcaller
Chief Stronghorn
Sunweaver

The chief is basically Ketras-lite and the rearrange can be useful, but I used an orb of ascension on the event unit, so Earth's Fury + Earthcaller should be melting the boss for a long time.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Maugrim posted:

Are you sure that's the right invite code? Mine ended up as SETH_OXMT with username Seth.

Not that I know much of these things

I got an invite, but when I hit Accept it said that I couldn't join because I needed an invite. Joseph Heller would be proud.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sighence posted:

It didn't work.

There are two ways to accept guild invites in this game. One seems to work, and the other doesn’t:

(1) click the mail item in the mail center
(2) go to the Guild (or Guild Admin?) menu and start from there

I just sent another invite. Please do whichever you didn’t do the first time, and report back. I will submit a bug report to the devs about this.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I saw this after accepting, but I did the same thing both times (the first) and it worked now. Thanks!

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I don't have Ketras either,

I'm at level 240 with no loss yet with this team:

Mountain Crusher (Titan)
Earthcaller
Sunweaver
Bulette

Thejaff fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 9, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How precious are Celestial Traitstones?

I'm in a spot right now where I'm trying to get my Winter Imp fully traited out. First Tier is completed.

Total blue stones:
Minor: 281
Major: 79
Runic: 83
Arcane Stoic: 4
Celestial: 19

Tier 2 Cost: 26 Minor, 12 Major and 12 Arcane Stoic.
Tier 3 Cost: 34 Minor, 6 Arcane Stoic and 2 Celestial.

I've just realized that I could right now exchange Celestial for Arcane giving a converted cost of:
vTier 3 Cost: 34 Minor, 12 Runic, 4 Arcane, 6 Celestial and 800 souls.

Is this a terrible increase in cost? Also, if I grind for two more Arcane Stoic traitstones instead of converting, is using up 2 Celestial that much worse than grinding for another 6 Arcane Stoic stones?

If it helps, I already have a Skadi team, and she's fully traited out.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Solkanar512 posted:

How precious are Celestial Traitstones?

I'm in a spot right now where I'm trying to get my Winter Imp fully traited out. First Tier is completed.

Total blue stones:
Minor: 281
Major: 79
Runic: 83
Arcane Stoic: 4
Celestial: 19

Tier 2 Cost: 26 Minor, 12 Major and 12 Arcane Stoic.
Tier 3 Cost: 34 Minor, 6 Arcane Stoic and 2 Celestial.

I've just realized that I could right now exchange Celestial for Arcane giving a converted cost of:
vTier 3 Cost: 34 Minor, 12 Runic, 4 Arcane, 6 Celestial and 800 souls.

Is this a terrible increase in cost? Also, if I grind for two more Arcane Stoic traitstones instead of converting, is using up 2 Celestial that much worse than grinding for another 6 Arcane Stoic stones?

If it helps, I already have a Skadi team, and she's fully traited out.

Converting between traitstones is so awful that grinding is usually better. Celestial traitstones aren't needed in bulk, so as long as you have a small stockpile they're great to use. I would absolutely use orb of wisdom on the 2nd trait instead of the 3rd most of the time.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Enkor posted:

Converting between traitstones is so awful that grinding is usually better. Celestial traitstones aren't needed in bulk, so as long as you have a small stockpile they're great to use. I would absolutely use orb of wisdom on the 2nd trait instead of the 3rd most of the time.

True, the 2nd trait almost always is more costly from an Arcane perspective. I used celestials to craft arcane as needed - but I had (have) a metric ton of jewels to create more celestials. I also hate the grinding.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thanks for the advice folks!

HAHAHA holy poo poo does Winter Imp melt faces.

Currently running:

Frozen Banner
Priest w/ Mountain Crusher
Azura
Winter Imp ***
Skadi***

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I used to believe that Celestials weren't that important, but I saw some discussion on the official forums that reminded me--while you won't need too many for traiting up your main teams in early or midgame, and will probably have extras, they're the rarest traitstone drops and *eventually* you're going to want to trait every troop (for Kingdom power).

I have a large stockpile at the moment, but I've avoided converting them to arcanes, because I don't want to get to a point a few months down the line where my impatience now results in hours of unnecessary grinding then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
New thread up, let me know if you see anything you think needs changing.