Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Yes, I'm an economical Planters. Don't you dare eat me.
Hi,
got some visitors during the weekend and one of them chipped my laminate countertop with a cheese grater (works well, apparently!). To make it worse, under the off white pattern laminate it's brown! So it's very apparent.

Question is, what is best practice to repair the laminate? I was thinking of maybe glue them, but my ideas in that area of expertise are usually wrong.

The damage: https://imgur.com/QB05sSB
Chips : https://imgur.com/Hmm6CsD

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Fill it, sand it and repaint it?

I don't think you'll have much luck trying to glue them back on, it'll be worst than when you started. The glue will always add a little bit of depth, so it's never going to be perfectly smooth.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 19, 2015

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I sell and design kitchens for a living, and square edge laminate worktops are notorious for chipping like that. You'll never get a perfect fix, but there are ways. I usually recommend people fill the chip or dent with the correct Colorfill (a type of worktop jointing compound), but in your case it wouldn't really be worth the effort. The damage is quite small, and your worktop is pretty much monochrome. If you simply find a matching paint at a hobby store and simply paint over the chips, it should be hardly noticeable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unika-ColorFill-Compound-Laminate-Colorfill/dp/B00UNS5JV4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MMNXB3YDKXFAK33STBC

ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Yes, I'm an economical Planters. Don't you dare eat me.
Thanks to both of you!

Soylent I will try that! Megaspel, I'm terrified about sanding it!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Yeah, laminate will not respond well to sanding. Maybe to rough up the surface of the chip area prior to filling, but not generally. Laminate is very much permanently damaged once you chip it. Kind of a bummer, but a proper filling agent should make it next to invisible.

It's not like butcher block or something where you can just sand down to a "new" surface.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I sell and design kitchens for a living, and square edge laminate worktops are notorious for chipping like that. You'll never get a perfect fix, but there are ways. I usually recommend people fill the chip or dent with the correct Colorfill (a type of worktop jointing compound), but in your case it wouldn't really be worth the effort. The damage is quite small, and your worktop is pretty much monochrome. If you simply find a matching paint at a hobby store and simply paint over the chips, it should be hardly noticeable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unika-ColorFill-Compound-Laminate-Colorfill/dp/B00UNS5JV4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MMNXB3YDKXFAK33STBC

This is what I love about A/T

'I have a question about x' (where x= something obscure, obsolete or unusual)

'hello, I am an expert in x, let me give you some protips'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

spog posted:

This is what I love about A/T

'I have a question about x' (where x= something obscure, obsolete or unusual)

'hello, I am an expert in x, let me give you some protips'

Pretty sure designing kitchen spaces is none of obscure, obsolete, or unusual

• Locked thread