Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/participation-award-crisis/

The article's accurate satire of reactionary attitudes notwithstanding, I still feel that participation awards devalue the accomplishments of those who actually earned their praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

It's unfortunate that there may well be a lot of people out there still not familiar with the "Baby Merchant" song from Cop Rock.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I dunno, maybe I was an unusually perceptive kid, but I figured out pretty well on my own that participation awards were bullshit.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I dunno, maybe I was an unusually perceptive kid, but I figured out pretty well on my own that participation awards were bullshit.

Whaddya want a medal?

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
I am on board with participation awards as long as they are far shittier than the actual awards and definitely not so that every kid gets a prize.

Say 1st 2nd 3rd place gets a neat trophy or a medals or some poo poo. And the participants (losers) get that lovely ubiquitous ribbon if for no other reason than to commemorate the event. But without a ceremony or anything.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
the only participation award I like is for running races...for everything else? as people say, only if the award is rubbish when compared to the actual winners.

AlwaysBeSithing
Aug 27, 2015

by Ralp

12gaugelobotomy posted:

I am on board with participation awards as long as they are far shittier than the actual awards and definitely not so that every kid gets a prize.

Say 1st 2nd 3rd place gets a neat trophy or a medals or some poo poo. And the participants (losers) get that lovely ubiquitous ribbon if for no other reason than to commemorate the event. But without a ceremony or anything.

i think a vial of feces on a string would be a good halfway point here

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Senior Woodchuck posted:

My first participation award was for the school science fair. I did not think I had the choice to not participate, so I was just very puzzled by the award.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Applewhite posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/participation-award-crisis/

The article's accurate satire of reactionary attitudes notwithstanding, I still feel that participation awards devalue the accomplishments of those who actually earned their praise.

look at this scrub who thinks America is a meritocracy

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
who cares? even without participation awards, your kid is still gonna be an entitled little poo poo.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Participation awards always made me feel like they were mocking my failure. I also figured out that because many people are emotionally fragile you can beat someone who is a little bit better than you at something by tearing them down psychologically.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Senior Woodchuck posted:

They really don't mean poo poo and I remember getting a few from sports teams and I don't think I looked at them again until I moved, if you're against them it should be for reducing the amount of bullshit plastic we import from China by about a jillion tons, not for some psychological reason because any kid who felt sincere joy from having a losing season and then being given a chunk of plastic is literally retarded.

I have zero trophies, not even a ball from college sports and just having my uniform and the memories feels a hundred times better than losing a lot as a kid and being given a trophy.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I got a blue ribbon in tree burning.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
one time as a kid they forgot to give me even a participation reward and it seriously bothered me for like a month

Galaxy Pig
Dec 20, 2012
Do you have to be a member of the AARP to complain about participation trophies?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I won a gameboy for drawin a pumpkin when I was like ten but it was the best pumpkin drawing. But it was on accident I hosed up the eyes and they ended up looking like this just on accident, what I like it about it is that some parent looked at it surely and thought I had had an assist to cheat myself up a gameboy but the truth is it was just irreproduceable luck, gently caress you

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I got a participation award for submitting an experiment to the school science fair and my dominant emotion was confusion. I didn't think I had the choice to not participate in the science fair, nobody even implied that I might opt out. So why was I getting honored for doing something I thought was mandatory? It would be like getting praised for wearing clothes when leaving the house. I certainly didn't feel honored or accomplished. Even then I knew participation awards were dumb.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

kids these days i tell you what

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My public security class acted as security for a Special Olympics event at a nearby college. Our teacher then afterwards proceeded to give everyone an award that stated "Congratulations for Participating in the Special Olympics". The same one the participants received.

He hated all of us intensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I can see Participation trophies for the wee little kids being nice, but I think participation trophies in the long term devalue success. It makes kids gain the mindset that they will be successful despite their level of effort.

• Locked thread