Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Starting a few days ago I've had quite the population of bees inside of my house. Initially I figured they must be getting in through a window, so I closed them despite the heat, but I was only finding more and more bees. After getting stung for the third time I started murdering the bastards by the dozens. Each day I'm coming home to find more and more covering my ceiling and walls, just waiting to die by my hands. I've been unable to track down a source as to where they're coming from, and there's no one room that they're more heavily populated in.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might conquer these things once and for all? Would poo poo like fly strips do the trick? Any awesome poisons that'll give me cancer down the line? Honestly any good advice to dealing with them would be appreciated at this point since I'd seriously like to avoid my pets getting stung or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Contact your landlord so they can call pest control.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Dude don't kill bees. There'll be a dozen guys in your area who would kill to come and find the hive and take it away. Call your landlord or look up apiarists.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Presuming they're standard honey bees, chances are they're nesting in a wall, roof, or under-floor cavity. Steel wool is useful for blocking gaps where vermin are entering into your living space; have another, closer look for any gaps that the bees may be using. If there's a space they're crawling through to enter your apartment, and block them.

An ordinary surface spray applied into the area they're originating from and areas they are frequenting may help, or an insecticidal dust containing permethrin can be puffed into any gaps they are exploiting, but really you need to wipe out the nest. Have a look around the outside of your building and see if you can find where they're going in and out. Whether or not you can find it, contact an exterminator, or report the problem to the person responsible for the building and get them to contact an exterminator. They'll probably destroy the nest using permethrin dust, and you can sleep soundly, dreaming of the thousands of dead bees in your walls, victim of their/your own little holocaust.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

The Sausages posted:

An ordinary surface spray applied into the area they're originating from and areas they are frequenting may help, or an insecticidal dust containing permethrin can be puffed into any gaps they are exploiting, but really you need to wipe out the nest. Have a look around the outside of your building and see if you can find where they're going in and out. Whether or not you can find it, contact an exterminator, or report the problem to the person responsible for the building and get them to contact an exterminator. They'll probably destroy the nest using permethrin dust, and you can sleep soundly, dreaming of the thousands of dead bees in your walls, victim of their/your own little holocaust.

Don't do this, just call a apiarist/beekeeper.

archduke.iago fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 21, 2015

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Yes, if they're honey bees, call a beekeeper before an exterminator. But really it's your landlord's problem.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Yeah, call a beekeeper (probably via your landlord) to come look at them - if they're nice native honey bees, they'll want to not kill the bees and move the hive (and then seal up your walls/eaves). You only want to exterminate if they're the Africanized hybrid bees.

My parents got two different beehives in two locations in the house, one in the eaves on one side of the house, and one in the walls around lovely chimney flashing, and the chimney hive was bad enough that honey started coming through cracks in the drywall (cracks initially caused by old water damage resulting from shoddy flashing work). The hives were so deep that they stayed there for years (smoking the bees out only worked temporarily because it wasn't possible to wholly destroy/extract the hives - they'd still find their way back eventually) until my parents did a re-roofing and interior/exterior painting remodel recently - they could cut into the eaves and walls and get the hives out, which was easier when you have scaffolding up and are fixing poo poo anyway and can just go ahead and saw into the eaves, roof, and walls to get to the hives.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Only call a beekeeper if they're actual honeybees, which they probably aren't. If they're wasps/yellowjackets/hornets/bumblebees he doesn't want to deal with that poo poo any more than you do.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Given the description, it is unlikely to be bumblebees.

Telling the difference between wasps etc and bees is pretty easy. Could you post a picture?

August is when wasps get really aggressive and active in preparation for winter, so there's a decent chance that's what you're dealing with.

If you don't want to post pictures, a local beekeeper will be able to identify them at least (and likely able to find the source) and will be delighted to get a new hive if they are honeybees. You should check what they are first before just calling pest control though since it would really be a shame to kill bees.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Upon Googling it it seems I have yellow jackets, not bees. So for those of you who loves honey bees and feared for their safety you can take a sigh of relief.

I think I may have found where they've been coming in from. I taped the hole closed and so far so good. Beyond that I guess I'll alert the landlord before they get to other people in the building.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Liar posted:

Upon Googling it it seems I have yellow jackets, not bees. So for those of you who loves honey bees and feared for their safety you can take a sigh of relief.

I think I may have found where they've been coming in from. I taped the hole closed and so far so good. Beyond that I guess I'll alert the landlord before they get to other people in the building.

If they're yellowjackets, kill the little fuckers. Easily my least favourite sort of insect in the world.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Liar posted:

Upon Googling it it seems I have yellow jackets, not bees.

Terminate with extreme prejudice

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Liar posted:

Go to your local hardware store and ask for the Wasp bug spray. That will kill just about any stinging insect that come within 10 feet of you.

I should probably argue there's some sort of circle of life thing going on, yellowjackets and wasps are natural predators for honeybees. Except we kind of like honeybees and there is a severe shortage of them. So if you find a yellowjacket nest, gently caress em, hose them down with insecticides so they never leave their nest.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

There are some species of yellow jacket which create aerial, exposed nests, but a lot of them create hidden nests underground, so there's a decent chance they have a nest in the ground somewhere. That makes it more difficult to find the source of them. It's easiest to find their nest in mornings or evenings when you will see a bunch of them shooting up out of the ground.

Obviously you don't want them in your apartment or around you, so get rid of them.

However as a thing that exists in nature (and not specifically the ones in your apartment), yellow jacket wasps are actually really good and beneficial. They spend most of the late spring and the summer hunting among foliage because they feed their young liquefied insects, not nectar. They are incredible at pest control - a growing yellow jacket colony will eat more than 2 pounds of insects, and they really like flies and the types of caterpillars which are often garden pests.

They become hugely annoying in late summer, especially in August, because most of the young are grown up, and they need to help the queen prepare for winter. Instead of hunting bugs as before, they start collecting nectar and looking for sources of sugar. This is when they really start becoming a pest around people because we keep lots of handy sources of sugar, so we'll come into contact with them a lot more. In previous months, they pretty much just do their own thing and are busy hunting around in foliage for tasty pesky bugs, so they're only a problem if you come across a nest or really annoy one.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Also they're nasty fuckers who will sting you just for looking at them, while actual bees generally won't sting unless you actually step on them or something.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

I made an agreement with them. I provide the super serum, they go gently caress with other people in an energy drink fueled rage.

(This one specific wasp was coming back every 10 minutes and I'm pretty sure the caffeine or something was messing with it. Its landing abilities were getting worse every cycle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

everyone posted:

Call a beekeeper.

Not that it matters now, but apiarists aren't able to extract a colony if it's in an inaccessible area such as inside the walls - they need to be able to get to the swarm to collect it.

Here's hoping the bastards don't chew through the walls and try to nest in your orifices while you're sleeping.

• Locked thread