Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

e: Turns out I hadn't put on sharing for 'Everyone' like I thought. This fixed the problem.

Problem description: Can't access a shared folder on a specific computer in a network.

I am helping my dad manage a small business network he has - there are four computers in a work group. I am trying to share some folders from the base C drive of computer 1 across the network.
All of the computers are connected via the same switch and can ping each other with no packet loss, computer 1 is able to access files and folders shared from other computers, but no one else can access computer 1 shared folders - they get the error 'permission is denied, contact your network administrator'.

When viewing network and sharing settings:
Computers 2 -4 say they are part of 'Network 4'
Computer 1 says it is part of 'Network 2'
(I don't know if this is relevant to the problem, but it was something I noticed).

My dad is security conscious but doesn't actually understand much about computer security - he installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 on top of a system running AVG Free, Malware Bytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I don't know much about how to configure these programs myself, but I have a feeling they might be interfering with the network and each other.

Attempted fixes: -Uninstalled Kaspersky from computer 1 and rebooted
-Set NTFS and sharing permissions to full control on the folder in question for 'Everyone' (didnt work - other computers can click on the shared path and can see the folder being shared, but cant access it)
-Tried unsharing then re-sharing the folder in question (didnt work)
-Turned the network device on and off in computer 1 to see if it would join the same network as the others (didnt work)
-Tried to leave and rejoin the work group on each computer (didnt work - computers rejoined the network and can see each other, but still no access to computer 1)
-Network discovery and file and print sharing are on for all computers

Recent changes: After Kaspersky was installed the computers had trouble establishing network contact (seeing each other in the network, pinging). We turned down the security level settings and they were able to communicate again.

--

Operating system: All Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread