Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
There's a chain that has a store in the city I live in, and I really like it (it's a Poutine place). Seems like a really simple product to sell that could sell really well. I asked them about franchising, but they told me that there is an exclusive agreement with one of their franchiees for all of California.

Oh well.

I wasn't really interested in their brand, I just thought the type of business/restaurant was a great idea, and prime for explosion in the US. So -- why not make my own? Coming up with a brand and menu would be easy enough.

Kitchen doesn't need to be huge, only one real product is being made (fries and toppings, cheese curds are bought).

I imagine I'd need to do some research in a market I want to open, make sure selling Poutine is a viable model and that people would be receptive. I'd need to allocate money for advertising. I imagine I'd need at least 6 months of runway for lease payments, I'd need employees, a manager, a food supplier.

Does anyone have any experience with these sorts of take-away restaurants, and do you have any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Though they come with their own headaches and a different set of permits, food trucks / food trailers have really exploded here in Austin as a low-overhead way to start a business selling food in low volumes. Every time I think the market is oversaturated, the foodie crowd starts fawning over some brand new truck (I'm pretty out of the loop overall).

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If you're only selling one product (or a few variations on one product), then I second the food truck route. You'll really value the mobility and the low overhead is key.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Is it pronounced poo-teen?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

BossRighteous posted:

Is it pronounced poo-teen?
Yeah. This is probably your biggest hurdle to overcome, people who have no idea what it is. Calling it Canadian Cheesy Fries would probably get you more customers. God, I want some poutine right now. I agree that a food truck would be perfect for this kind of thing.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Food truck sounds like a smart idea. Less risk, and it's better for selling the drunk food to the drunks around the bar areas (don't run over the drunks).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

ooh, you're in the Bay Area? Come down to Santa Cruz with your poutine truck when you get it up and running!

MacMillan
Dec 21, 2013

You're just the afterbirth, Eli. You slithered out on your mother's filth. They should have put you in a glass jar on a mantlepiece.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Though they come with their own headaches and a different set of permits, food trucks / food trailers have really exploded here in AusMPtin as a low-overhead way to start a business selling food in low volumes. Every time I think the market is oversaturated, the foodie crowd starts fawning over some brand new truck (I'm pretty out of the loop overall).

Jumping off of this as a resident of Austin, usually these things have loads of hoops you have to go through and unexpected expenses which could thwart any potential income/progress. You would think that the market was crazy saturated here but people look for the 'next best thing' everyday.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Sparta posted:

Kitchen doesn't need to be huge, only one real product is being made (fries and toppings, cheese curds are bought).

Yeah that's great if you want to half rear end it. Look at Smoke's menu for the list of options for poutine:

The stuff they're selling involves like half a dozen different types of meat, a few different sauces beyond gravy, and a bunch of other stuff. Think of the mise en place involved in getting all that poo poo set up. You can do that out of a small kitchen, but you better have a bunch of fridge space to keep all the stuff.

Unless you're looking to sell one kind of poutine, in which case, you won't need a tonne of space. But I don't know how much repeat business you'll get by having a menu with one option on it (although, Porchetta and Co in Toronto is doing well and they sell one thing only).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
There's a poutine food cart here in Portland that does really well with a simple menu. I believe all they sell are regular frees, regular poutine (with meat gravy), and vegetarian poutine (with mushroom gravy). Drunk people go there in droves. Location is everything, and more likely than not you'll want to be open late.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 31, 2015

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If there was a poutine truck near me I'd be all over it.

Regular + vegetarian poutine plus a small number of add-ons (for a buck each or whatever) might work. Bacon, pepperoni (like the sticks cut up, not pizza), jalapenos, avocado would be pretty simple and tasty.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How much food service experience do you have?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

moana posted:

ooh, you're in the Bay Area? Come down to Santa Cruz with your poutine truck when you get it up and running!
BFC meetup! We'll talk about all the things with our investments that we're not doing, and all the fancy resorts and restaurants that we don't go to!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

n8r posted:

How much food service experience do you have?

Poutine is awesome, but if you don't have experience managing a kitchen then stay the gently caress away. Food service is an industry that loves to seduce you before chewing you up and spitting you out while fracturing your relationships and decimating your wealth.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cicero posted:

BFC meetup! We'll talk about all the things with our investments that we're not doing, and all the fancy resorts and restaurants that we don't go to!

I didn't realize y'all were so close!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm not kidding about being down for a BFC meetup. Prefer some kind of park because it's cheap and I got a kid who likes running around but I'm open to suggestions.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Are you guys in santa cruz or up in San Francisco or...? I'll be doing Saturday Write Fever up there this week with a couple friends: http://www.theexit.org/write/

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah crap, this got lost in my bookmarks. I live in Oakland but work in SF. That event sounds neat!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Cicero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIGzzeQjaE

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/dethklok/thedethalbum.html#15 posted:

if I could write off your murder
I'd save all of my receipts
because I'd rather you be dead
than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year

I'd rather you be dead than ponder parting with my second home
I'd rather you be dead than consider not opening a restaurant
I'd rather you be dead
I'd rather you be dead

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
What are you going to be able to offer customers over the existing poutine restaurant that you're modeling yourself after? What are you going to have to distinguish yourself, to get them to come to you instead of going to your already-successful competitor?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

To answer your titular question, what it takes to open a restaurant is a shitload of work, a pile of money roughly the size of a house to burn and an understanding that odds are you'll be out of business and have lost all of said money within two years. You will likely run a loss for at least the first year, even if you succeed.

All of the above assumes you're a food industry lifer who knows how to operate such a business and has contacts to make sure he isn't getting screwed. Do not open a restaurant. It is a poo poo load of work you have to absolutely love to put up with, because you sure as hell aren't going to be making the big bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I was gonna ask how much food industry experience you have.

It's kind of a poo poo job on every level unless you just loving love it. If you are just interested in it as a business model then idk... Go for a food truck or stand rather than a brick and mortar location.

• Locked thread