Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003
Problem description: I'm having a weird problem with Chrome. If I type anything into the address bar, it will go to whatever URL I specify, or it will search whatever words I type in. The exception to this is if I type the word "McAfee". When I type anything that is preceded with "McAfee", it almost looks like it replaces the "zone" I'm searching in. Whatever you finish typing after that goes to a Yahoo search result page. At one point in time, I did have the Site Advisor software (McAfee's host based web filtering client) installed on a desktop I was using, and that added an extension to Chrome. That was removed a long time ago though. I don't even know if this behavior was caused by that extension, but it seems pretty likely. This has nothing to do with software loaded on the actual PC - I have a fresh VM with nothing but Chrome and the OS loaded and it exhibits this issue as well.

Attempted fixes: Ensured no McAfee products are installed in the OS, and no unknown plugins show up in the Chrome extension list. Verified that the problem happens on a freshly installed vanilla OS, no additional software has been installed. Searched through the registry looking for references to "Site Advisor", "Advisor", "McAfee", and "Yahoo". None of the results correlate to Chrome, or anything else that looks useful or likely to be associated.

Recent changes: None - this problem has been around for a long time

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64x, but this problem exists on any operating system that I have Chrome installed on

System specs: MSI GT72 laptop, the specs are kind of inconsequential to this problem though

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
If you check in Settings, Search, Manage Search Engines, do you have any unexpected search engines? Does it still happen if you remove everything but Google? If the problem persists make a new Chrome profile.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 23, 2015

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003

Alereon posted:

If you check in Settings, Search, Manage Search Engines, do you have any unexpected search engines? Does it still happen if you remove everything but Google? If the problem persists make a new Chrome profile.
:gizz:

There were actually several other search engines listed, although the one I actually use (Bing) was set as the default. I cleared everything out of the list except for Google, and Bing - tested a search in the URL bar and it worked perfectly. You, sir, are a badass. Thank you so much for helping out with this. It hasn't been a show stopper, but I work with McAfee products for my job, so I do a lot of searches with that prefix in front of what I'm searching for. This has been a big nuisance, I really appreciate the quick reply.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Awesome, glad that fixed it!

• Locked thread