Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mustache Ride posted:

Astral, Jeff and some random gonns are actively DDOSing duping all of imgur's posts on the forums and are going to host them and update all the post links to use the new host.

There's a thread about it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290

Thanks for that.
I don't need to worry about my albums - they're all on my actual account, but still a worthy project.
Looks like Imgur is being an petulant baby right now, though, and refusing to actually download archives of images, even legitimate requests. Like mine, for instance.

Also LOL, they're getting called out on destroying forums:
https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/8/23713128/something-awful-imgur-download-caper-digital-preservation-photo-hosting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

quote:

“There are many people who started posting on this site as children who are now raising children of their own.”

What the gently caress. Now I REALLY feel old; I think imgur is my 4th or 5th image host.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I used to just use my own site, but since a) it didn't have https and b) my image library software installation went tango uniform and is apparently no longer maintained, I gave up on that.
Maybe someday again. New host - so may offer easy https. I'd just have to move everything (or more likely start fresh.) Imgur was just easy.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCiOS_Eydk

placeholder until the weekend when I do something for once on one of my crap piles

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ejppKB9j0

Man I want this car

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Here's one that's a little more on-topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKzBGX1BPY

And as promised, here's a couple photos of work done on the black wagon.

Getting started:

On the agenda is general tune-up stuff: rotate tires, spark plugs and wires, air filter, clean the MAF, fuel filter, engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter. I've been experiencing what feels like a misfire recently, so the goal is to chase that down.

We've all done plugs before, so here's the important image:

Looks like #2 had a pretty bad crack in it, unless that's just gunk. They're all the correct Delco plug for the engine (41-601), which is nice to see. I replaced them with Autolite 605 gapped to 0.060", as that's the currently recommended plug in the 60degreev6 community. Everything else went about how one would expect for a tune-up. The transmission oil smelled and looked a bit spicy but not quite burnt, and the magnet didn't have very much on it.

Couple interesting things to note. It seems as though someone has been in this transmission at some point. There was RTV gunked all around the pan's edge. The pan was unpainted, and is probably aftermarket, since it doesn't have
pre:
 DIV OF GMC
Hydra-Matic
   4T60
embossed into it, and the gasket was the typical aftermarket rubber style. The side pan had RTV in the edge as well. I'm not complaining about any of that, mind you. It's just pleasantly surprising.

The misfire cleared up quite a bit after all that, and it starts faster with a fresh fuel filter. However, I still feel it sometimes when passing on the highway. I'm going to try rerouting the 7x crank sensor wire to see if that's the problem. I had that issue on the white wagon a number of years ago:

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 10, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That is a beautiful wagon.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Sorry for the potato quality, but I saw an immaculate Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser wagon (with simulated wood grain!) this weekend and knew I had to get a picture:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

nadmonk posted:

Sorry for the potato quality, but I saw an immaculate Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser wagon (with simulated wood grain!) this weekend and knew I had to get a picture:

:hellyeah:

If I could find a Ciera coupe in decent nick I would complete the A-body bingo card. 2 6000s, 2 Celebritys (sedan, wagon), 5 Centurys (2 sedan, 3 wagon), two Dustbusters.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Left Ventricle posted:

If I could find a Ciera coupe in decent nick I would complete the A-body bingo card. 2 6000s, 2 Celebritys (sedan, wagon), 5 Centurys (2 sedan, 3 wagon), two Dustbusters.

Funnily enough, in college I briefly had an '87 Ciera coupe. It's butt was a bit smashed in though. It had that 80's-tastic blue velour interior.
An odd follow up to us having an '87 Celebrity wagon (bought new!), a Celebrity sedan (not sure of the year, maybe also 87?), and an Century sedan.

I'm fuzzy on the specifics of the Century sedan. I think it was an 85 but I could be wrong. I just recall that having the worst engine ever. It was carbed, I think it was a V6, we had the carb rebuilt/tuned at least 3 times. It was slow as a dog and eventually the engine seized on me when I was driving to school (it was always a race in the morning between my dad and I, whoever got out the door first got the Celebrity wagon). And after the engine seized dad had a shop replace the engine....and then sold it for probably about what it cost to put the engine in.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

nadmonk posted:

I'm fuzzy on the specifics of the Century sedan. I think it was an 85 but I could be wrong. I just recall that having the worst engine ever. It was carbed, I think it was a V6, we had the carb rebuilt/tuned at least 3 times. It was slow as a dog and eventually the engine seized on me when I was driving to school (it was always a race in the morning between my dad and I, whoever got out the door first got the Celebrity wagon). And after the engine seized dad had a shop replace the engine....and then sold it for probably about what it cost to put the engine in.

Probably the 3.0, the worst variant of the venerable Buick V6. No power, poo poo reliability. Might be the worst engine GM ever made.

It's finally cooling off in Vegas, and I'm sick of trying to figure out why the black wagon is still misfiring after basically rebuilding the ignition system, so it's time for George to ride again! Gonna get an alignment soon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nadmonk posted:

Funnily enough, in college I briefly had an '87 Ciera coupe. It's butt was a bit smashed in though. It had that 80's-tastic blue velour interior.
An odd follow up to us having an '87 Celebrity wagon (bought new!), a Celebrity sedan (not sure of the year, maybe also 87?), and an Century sedan.

Never owned one myself, but my buddy in high school owned a Cutlass Calais coupe, until he missed a turn on a rural road and put it into a tree, and I ferried a Ciera back from Arizona to Texas for a leasing agency in like 1990. I was actually fairly impressed with how well it drove on the highway. It had the OHC 4-banger in it, which was adequate at the time.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Darchangel posted:

Never owned one myself, but my buddy in high school owned a Cutlass Calais coupe, until he missed a turn on a rural road and put it into a tree, and I ferried a Ciera back from Arizona to Texas for a leasing agency in like 1990. I was actually fairly impressed with how well it drove on the highway. It had the OHC 4-banger in it, which was adequate at the time.

Actually, you've jogged my memory. I believe it actually was a Cutlass Calais coupe, not a Ciera that we had. That was a long time ago and we only had it for maybe 3-4 months.

Left Ventricle posted:

Probably the 3.0, the worst variant of the venerable Buick V6. No power, poo poo reliability. Might be the worst engine GM ever made.

YES! That was the one. That thing was beyond terrible. It would struggle to hit 55mph on flat ground.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Someone at the A-body board mentioned injectors. At this point, I'm leaning toward injectors, but since testing them requires pulling the upper intake, I'm not going to do that just yet. I plan to change over to the non-A-body-style throttle body, throttle position sensor, and mass air flow sensor, and get another '97 W-body PCM from Milzy. There's a '98 Grand Am at the yard up the street that's not been picked apart yet, so I'll grab the upper, TB, TPS, cruise module, throttle cables, and MAF from that. Then I'll probably just slam in some new injectors as a matter of course.

I know I said when I bought this car that I didn't plan to do any modifications, but I consider the MAF swap a necessity at this point. It's becoming more and more difficult to acquire the Buick-style MAF, since it was only used on a few cars for a few years. Whereas the newer style was used on many more cars for many more years, so it's both more plentiful at the yard and easier to buy new if I need to. The factory TPS doesn't seem to be calibrated correctly either, reporting 66% at actual WOT. And yes, "while I'm in there", why not just upgrade to the 2000+ top end, right? No time, money, or motivation for that.

Tried to jump start George after sitting for the last few months. No dice after 10+ minutes. Dropped it off at O'Reilly to test it. BAD. I don't really have the hundred bucks for a battery right now.

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!
Just got through the 20 pages of this thread. LV, I salute you for what you're doing here. Keep the flame burnin' brotha! :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Left Ventricle posted:

GM 2.8 V6 has entered the chat. I think it was a 2.8 anyway. 2.something V6. Little tiny V6.

An ex BF's Cavalier wagon (lovingly nicknamed the purple penis wrinkle - his mom had sideswiped something in it before handing it down to him, it was purple, the entire passenger side was wrinkled) had that.. thing. Not only did it have the typical GM torque converter lockup solenoid issue that every smaller FWD GM from the mid 80s to the early 90s had, if you sneezed, it left you stranded in ways that mechanics swore they'd never seen before. It was originally parked over the TCC solenoid issue; it went through maybe 5 or 6 shops, none ever fixed it. I was familiar with the issue and knew you could limp it along with no warning lights by just... unplugging the solenoid, once I found out it'd been parked for a few years I told him I could probably get it to drive again if he didn't mind me loving with it for an hour, and he'd have something to drive. The plug was outside of the transmission anyway. I did get it running, but it needed a fuel pump almost immediately. Also, me getting it running meant I didn't have to teach him how to drive stick on my car - I don't like other people driving my cars when they have a clutch... never have, and I've always been extra paranoid about my clutches. I have replaced ONE clutch in my life, and it was a "while I'm in here" job (wound up not being necessary - 160k and it was about half worn, but I already had the new parts). I have never worn one out, despite taking original clutches well north of 200k (300k in two cases).

The only thing that was reliable in that pile of crap was the AC. Even after sitting a few years, the AC was ice cold. Radio and tape player also still worked fine. I WANT to say it was an 89 or 90?

Once we put it back on the road, every loving tire (including the spare) blew one at a time. Made me a believer in AAA. I hated that car, but at least parts were really cheap for it. Somehow it blew roses out of the exhaust on 5+ year old gas, I'm still pretty sure the shop just shoved the sniffer into another car just so they could get it out of their lot (it'd been there for a couple of years; I'm the reason it finally got picked up and back on the road). Never had a problem with smog after the new fuel pump, but before the new fuel pump it would bounce between "tach is on zero, oil and alternator lights are flickering and it's trying to stall" and ~2000ish, surging so hard that you had to put both feet on the brake.

I'm sure if it'd been taken care of, it would have been an okay car. We got over a year out of it after it'd been parked for years, but FFFF I swore at it almost as much as CSB swore at his 550. Plenty of room for :quagmire: activities, but I hated that thing more than any car I've owned.

Said ex BF still doesn't know how to drive manual. He was 21 when we started dating, he's well into his 40s now and has kids in college. He blew up the engine in the car his dad handed down to him after the Cavalier died too (I thought a 3800 was up there with a Jeep 4.0 or Ford 300 on durability, but he killed one in 2LT Chevy that was borderline showroom condition).

e: well poo poo that turned into a rant I guess

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 24, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

randomidiot posted:

GM 2.8 V6 has entered the chat. I think it was a 2.8 anyway. 2.something V6. Little tiny V6.

I had one in my Sonoma and never had an issue, drat near 30 mpg highway and wasn't as gutless as the 4. I even had a helpful state trooper let me know it would do 90 uphill.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

SpeedFreek posted:

I had one in my Sonoma and never had an issue, drat near 30 mpg highway and wasn't as gutless as the 4. I even had a helpful state trooper let me know it would do 90 uphill.

I think our Celebrity had the 2.8 v6, wasn't a barn burner or anything, but it got the job done.

I remembered I had actually seen a video someone did on that Buick 3.0:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8C2Ltwu50s

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

randomidiot posted:

e: well poo poo that turned into a rant I guess

Real STR gm rant vibes

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

nadmonk posted:

YES! That was the one. That thing was beyond terrible. It would struggle to hit 55mph on flat ground.

That reminded me that my '78 Monza had the 3.2L V6, which was also a smaller displacement variant of the 3.8. Ran well enough in that car - carbureted, 4-speed, RWD. I don't think I've ever, uh, experienced the 3.0.
What was weird was that the Buick variant of the Monza (Skyhawk) got the 3.8.
Of course, the Chevy could also be had with a 5L V8 (and the 4-speed!)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
In '75 and '76 the Monza could also be had with the blistering 110hp 262cu small block V8, afaik the only sbc that doesn't share stroke or bore with any other sbc.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 25, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

nadmonk posted:

I think our Celebrity had the 2.8 v6, wasn't a barn burner or anything, but it got the job done.

I had the 2.8 and a 5-speed in my Fiero, and yeah it wasn't quick but it made nice noises (short exhaust run on that car) and was sufficiently sporty for what that car was.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

In '75 and '76 the Monza could also be had with the blistering 110hp 262cu small block V8, afaik the only sbc that doesn't share stroke or bore with any other sbc.

Oh, yeah, that one was a winner, too.
In a similar vein, and for the same reasons, my cousin's G-body Cutlass had the Olds 260 CI V8. 110 HP (net) of V8 fury. Tiniest little bores.

boxen posted:

I had the 2.8 and a 5-speed in my Fiero, and yeah it wasn't quick but it made nice noises (short exhaust run on that car) and was sufficiently sporty for what that car was.

The punched out 2.8L (3.1L, maybe? It is a stock 2.8 block, but overbored) in my buddy's Fiero Formula (basically a GT, but notchback) sounds pretty bad-rear end.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's pretty wack that they used a specific MAF just for your cars basically. Why? Just to gently caress the mechanic?

Suburban Dad posted:

Real STR gm rant vibes

The vibe is a Pontiac so that is true

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

It's pretty wack that they used a specific MAF just for your cars basically. Why? Just to gently caress the mechanic?
I legitimately don't know why GM designed a different intake manifold, MAF, throttle body and throttle cables for the A-body when they already had a functional setup in literally every other L82-powered car. Speculation: using parts from the 3300 to save some money?

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

Left Ventricle posted:

I legitimately don't know why GM designed a different intake manifold, MAF, throttle body and throttle cables for the A-body when they already had a functional setup in literally every other L82-powered car. Speculation: using parts from the 3300 to save some money?

Parts bin engineering at it's best! :haw:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Heartily endorse this.
https://x.com/MyronVernis/status/1716109450384122009?s=20

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Looks like ET's been on HRT, good for her.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
E/N warning. Spoilered in case you don't care to read.

Today would have been my father's 61st birthday. He left us last November. At that time, I took a trip around the Bay Area to visit family and friends I hadn't seen in many years. It felt like the correct way to mourn him, to see the sights he saw regularly, and maybe some things he didn't. I spent Thanksgiving with my sister and her mother.

I have never been good at expressing my emotions, so I hadn't written about my trip in the year since, because every time I sat down to do so, whatever I typed came out hollow, empty, as if I were writing it on someone else's behalf. Death is inevitable. The condition of "humanity" has a 93% fatality rate, after all! But though I have experienced a few deaths in our family over the last decade or so, I could never properly process them. Even this 2000 mile trip by myself didn't. It didn't help that it was around the same time that my wife decided she was done and wanted to move out and eventually divorce.

In 2010, my grandfather, Charles Trotter, passed. I didn't cry for him then, so that I could be strong for everyone else grieving. In 2012, his wife, my grandmother, Rosemary Trotter, joined him. I didn't cry for her then, so that I could be strong for everyone else grieving. In 2018, my brother, Forrest Smith, left us suddenly. I didn't cry for him then, so that I could be strong for everyone else grieving. In 2022, my father, Daniel Richards, departed sooner than he should have. I didn't cry for him then, because I had no capacity. In 2023, my grandmother, Beverly Johnson, died. I didn't cry for her, because I didn't know her.

In fact, I don't know my family at all. My dad's family is unknown to me. The only interactions I had with them, I was too young to recall, or they were incredibly brief. There are reasons for that, but I don't intend to air dirty laundry here. Aside from the lineal descendants of Daniel Richards, I consider my ties to his side of the family non-existent. There is some sadness in that.

I love you, Dad. May you improvise, adapt, and overcome any challenges you face in the next world.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm so sorry, my dude. If you read my thread or the chat thread you know I lost my dad this past October, so... yeah.

Oddly enough, my dad had a more-door '57 like that one in the last photo, just with a white top, when he met and dated my mom. He sold that when he got ahold of the '55 hardtop coupe that will eventually be mine, so I never saw it, but he had pictures.
Cool '57 pickup, too, there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo, man. I'm so sorry, that is far too much to process in far too short a time.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I had an interesting failure on the car the other day. Slowed down for traffic on the highway, and when I tried to accelerate, there was a sudden distinct lack of power. When I arrived at my destination, I heard the exhaust puffing irregularly, rather than smooth as normal. Clearly a misfire or dead hole. Armed only with a mechanic's stethoscope, I eliminated the injectors as the source. Checking the coils the hard way revealed no spark on number 3, but 6 was fine. Which seemed really odd to me. I replaced the coil when I got home, as I have several spares lying around. But I've never heard of a GM coil half failing. Is that a thing?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Raluek posted:

Does that mean that a supercharged late 3800 just plugs right in? :q:

subscribed :w00t:

edit: jfc i replied to a 9 year old post

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

XYZAB posted:

subscribed :w00t:

edit: jfc i replied to a 9 year old post

Welcome aboard. It's been a ride.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhhUCb6YRAg

EDIT: Make your own A-body coilovers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbO-WqKUnjQ

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 17, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dang that dude's Fieros are pretty rad, love the wide body blue one with the Corvette wheels

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm wondering how different it would be on a G-body, the Park Ave sits a little high after throwing quick struts on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I found another amazing wagon build on Youtube. Link is to the full playlist. Spoiler: turbo 3.8 and 5 speed manual!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRSpJg1KAg&list=PL1Ml2tm_fdrVXI06OGTRFQ9H5m6pqntr_&index=1&pp=iAQB