Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Aren't you attacking someone's credibility based on their beliefs in something stupid, then using actual nazi propaganda words like the "holodomor"

Please, explain how the Holodomor, a real historical famine-genocide, is nazi propaganda.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Pharohman777 posted:

Please, explain how the Holodomor, a real historical famine-genocide, is nazi propaganda.

The genocide label might be inaccurate because as I recall there's legitimate debate about the degree to which starvation was the intention, but even if it wasn't the outcome sought the authorities at least showed gross negligence, and probably reckless indifference, so I'm also curious how it can be written off as fascist propaganda.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Neurosis posted:

The genocide label might be inaccurate because as I recall there's legitimate debate about the degree to which starvation was the intention, but even if it wasn't the outcome sought the authorities at least showed gross negligence, and probably reckless indifference, so I'm also curious how it can be written off as fascist propaganda.

I mean the word itself. Not denying there was a famine which was exacerbated by mismanagement. Holodomor is, as far as I can tell, a word chosen by Ukrainian nationalists to try to conflate it with the holocaust to make USSR sound worse/Germany not as bad. Hell, one of the earlier people pushing the term wrote a long-form attack on Jewish people for not being anti communist enough.

None of this has much to do with Venezuela though,and the Maduro regimes ability to gently caress up in new and unexpected ways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are people who will either overlook or support atrocities on an ideological basis, which can range from solidarity to bloodlust to a weird ends justifying the means deal (often with arguable ends). It can be a useful barometer to check somebody's opinions on other atrocities when they're all squirelly about one set of things.

IE, some people who try to dismiss Maduro's wrongdoing and also spend a lot of time poo poo-talking all opposition may be arguing in bad faith.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

the kind of word twisting on display here is why any discussion with these kinds of people is futile
the post he quoted is perfectly clear but he still had to lie about it in his "summary"
there's nothing productive to be gained through talking with him

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
The ghost of Walter Duranty has entered the thread.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I mean the word itself. Not denying there was a famine which was exacerbated by mismanagement. Holodomor is, as far as I can tell, a word chosen by Ukrainian nationalists to try to conflate it with the holocaust to make USSR sound worse/Germany not as bad. Hell, one of the earlier people pushing the term wrote a long-form attack on Jewish people for not being anti communist enough.

None of this has much to do with Venezuela though,and the Maduro regimes ability to gently caress up in new and unexpected ways.

Looking at Wikipedia, it looks like the use of the word antedates the Holocaust, being used in Ukrainian diaspora publications - it literally translates to 'death by hunger' or 'killing by hunger/starvation', so I'm not sure it's fair to think it's more than the word that has caught on to refer to the event, although, sure, the phonetic similarity might be one reason it caught on (The source Wikipedia quotes is Anne Applebaum, Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine (Doubleday, 2017) 363, if anyone's deathly interested in fact-checking.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I linked a thread where he did it earlier, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe