Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In Final Fantasy Dimensions the characters are labeled Warriors of Light and Warriors of Darkness and you play both sides. Does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Final Fantasy Dimensions is a lovely phone game for lovely people that are poo poo. :colbert:

In all seriousness, it's a game I haven't played, mainly because I don't play video games on my phone.
And I wasn't even aware of it until you brought it up. That being said, I only had the mainline Final Fantasy in mind,
when I wrote about the Warriors of Light and Dark, because that's where Dissidia draws all of it's material from.

In fact there aren't any characters from any side games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Mystic Quest in Dissidia.
If only you could play as Ramza the Double King. :allears:

Although Dimensions is more of a duality between Light and Dark, as opposed to Weak Dark vs Strong Light.
But yeah I'd say it counts.

Incidentally having given the matter further thought, I'll have to go back and amend some statements.
It could be argued for instance that FF5 is Weak Dark vs Strong Light, in relation to FF3.

The Warriors of Darkness emerged in FF3 when the Crystals of Light were abused and misused which resulted in Bad Things(tm).
Litereally almost the same setting as FF5.
FF5 had the Warriors of Dawn(Not Bartz) seal Exdeath into the Crystals of Light. That is not how you treat pillars of your world! :argh:
Humans also had a tendency to abuse the Crystals, trying to draw power from the Crystal of Fire. Of course that plan went bad too.
I mean Exdeath is certainly Dark and he had his hand in the destruction of the Crystals, but he was still severely limited in what he could do, you know due to being sealed in a glorified glass canister. Mankind certainly didn't help.
In the end the Crystals are destroyed and Bad Things(tm) happened. So you could argue that Bartz and his group of warriors were Warriors of Darkness
though they recieved their powers from the Crystals of Light (Or whatever shards were left).

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm curious as to what you think of the new Dissidia game coming out, considering they'll have Ramza in it.
They also have Y'shtola from XIV in it summoning Ifrit which is :lol:.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I haven't really looked into the new Dissidia game because it's an arcade game and to be released for PS4.
I'm a PC master race guy who don't see the need to buy a console when I already have a computer for gaming.

Actually since FF13 burned me, I've sort of given up on the Final Fantasy franchise.
Possibly because I'm just not the target audience anymore.
I fully expect 15 to be poo poo. Like it wouldn't even surprise me in the slightest.
And that's without having even seen any game trailers for it.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I postponed this update because I didn't want to record commetary for a 1 minute fight. :toot:
Also call me Trump, because I just built the greatest wall of text. :siren: :words: :siren:

Report 7 posted:

World: A
Place: Town on the Hawk's Wing

Inherited Memories -07-

"So what you just told is all
memory you have inherited?"

Yes.
Memory succession is a dying art.
In order to preserve this memory for a
longer time, I thought it best to leave it
in writing.

"Do you think there is any relation between
your memory and the Four Fiends wreaking
havoc on our world now?"

That I cannot say with any certainty.
But there are curious similarities
as to where things happened.

Where the rip in time-space occurred,
and where the Four Fiends now dwell...
The scenery in both locations match
with what remains in my memory.

"Thank you for sharing your story.
It shall be passed on as recorded."

Lukahn, please let me ask you one question
before we finish.
The Warrior of Light - the one you predicted
would save the world from this calamity
with crystal in hand - is he really coming?

"I am called an oracle, but I am actually a historian."

"History must always converge. I feel faint
signs of it coming from the distant worlds.

The Warrior of Light shall come indeed.

And he shall liberate this world...
no, the people of this world
from the cycle of negativity."

Oh man, where do I even begin with this one?

So this report heavily references Final Fantasy 1.
I guess it's best to take it chronologically.

So Final Fantasy 1 was, of course, the first Final Fantasy.
It was literally the game that saved Square from bankruptcy.
A key difference between the plot in Final Fantasy 1 and
Dissidia's take on it, is that there were 4! Warriors of Light.

But that's not the focus point right now. I'll discuss it when we'll be dealing
with the Warrior of Lights chapter.

Next up is The Four Fiends.
Who the gently caress are these assholes and why should you care?
This is obviously heavy spoilers for Final Fantasy 1
but that game is hella old so I don't give a hoot.
I'm not even gonna spoiler tag it. :colbert:

So in Final Fantasy 1, the very first thing the party does is
defeat Garland. You might be wondering why the first boss
of FF1 is also the villain representing it in Dissidia.
Because JRPG reasons and time travel. I'm not kidding.

Are you ready for some time travel paradox?
I'm not, but here we go.
*deep breath*

So when Garland is defeated, the Four Fiends shows up,
after the Warriors of Light leaves him to bleed out.
They take Garland 2000 years back in time so that he can
become Chaos and subsequently create the Four Fiends.
The Four Fiends are then sent into various time periods
to steal the Elemental Crystals power so Garland can transform
into Chaos.

The actual chronology of these events are basically this:
2000 Years ago -> Garland is brought back, and becomes Chaos, who then creates the Four Fiends.
400 Years ago -> The Fiend of Wind steals the Wind Crystals power
200 Years ago -> The Fiend of Water steals the Water Crystals power
Present -> The Fiend of Earth steals the Earth Crystals power. The Warriors of Light appears and defeats Garland who then gets sent back to 2000 years ago.
The Warriors of Light defeats The Fiend of Earth and the Fiend of Fire awakens too early, but steals the Fire Crystals power anyways.

So this is a time loop. A cycle if you... DISSIDIA IS RIPPING OFF FINAL FANTASY 1? OH MY GOD I'M DONE LP OVER GUYS.
Also please ignore the time paradoxes okey? I don't want anyone to get Chrono Trigger'd.
Yeah you're laughing now, but just you wait until time travel becomes possible. I bet there'd be social injustice over what time you lived in or some poo poo.

Anyways. That's the The Four Fiends.

Then we have Lukahn, who all things considered aren't all that important.
Just some guy who serves to plot dump on the player.
He has more backstory, but it's unimportant.

So that means that Final Fantasy 1 has 2 villains representing it. Cheaters :argh:
-

You think I'm done? Ha! That was just the Report text.
So Cloud going up against Chaos?
A parallel can be drawn to Cloud fighting Sephiroth in Niflheim.
Sephiroth was the strongest soldier known to man at the time.
Also both events catalyzed by Tifa.

Alright I'm done now.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Double posting because the last post was super long.

With Report 7 out and done with, we can officially kiss Duodecim goodbye.
That doesn't mean there won't be more reports. Oh no, but we are done
with them for now. Next up is Dissidia for reals this time.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And then there's the fact that Dissidia's world map is actually FF1's, implying that it's set on the world of FF1.
Edit: Despoiled

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 24, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that.
Although there is more to it. But that's revealed in future reports.
Not that it's a big secret considering we've alreasy seen a portal to another dimension.

Oh also people getting revived is not normal world behavior. If your world is starting to
repeat itself, and ressurect dead people. Then go see your God at the earliest convenience. :v:

Also I think it's fine if you despoil that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looking forward to seeing the original Dissidia game.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

So another 3 months without an update.

Yeah I got nothing. So instead of making excuses for myself, I'll just tell you the next update is encoding as we speak.
And will be up as soon as it's done and when I remember my youtube login. What? It's been 3 months.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 15

We finally begin Dissidia proper. The Duodecim crew is dead and buried and the reports have filled in the missing blanks.
The Warrior of Light is our new Lightning. Except he is nothing like Lightning in either playstyle or story capacity. :v:

Anyways, this is just the introductory chapter to Dissidia, but Square has made a rather uncharacteristic choice of
opening up the game a bit and giving the player some choice in proceeding with the story. Since this is rarer than
leap years I've made the decision to leave the choice of which character to play, up to you. Well within certain parameters.

As the last cutscene showed us, the cast is seperated into various groups.
And that's exactly what you'll be voting for. Every group has their own mini storyline so it's for the sake of keeping the narrative somewhat coherent.

:siren:So here are the groups to vote for::siren:

Group 1:
Terra Bradford [FF6]/Kefka Palliwhateverhisfuckingnameisgawd
Onion Knight [FF3]/Cloud of Darkness

Group 2:
Cloud Strife[FF7]/xXx.:SephirothSlayer:.xXx :airquote:
Cecil Harvey[FF4]/Golbez
Tidus[FF10]/Jecht
Firion[FF2]/The Emperor
(Squall Lionheart[FF8])/Ultimecia

Group 3:
Zidane[FF9]/Kuja
Bartz[FF5]/Exdeath :megadeath:

"Group 4":
The Warrior of Light[FF1]/Garland

Whichever group has the most votes will win at whatever arbitrary deadline I won't tell you about.
I'll play a hearthstone duel as a tiebreaker with Shibbotech in the case of a tie.
Unless there's like 3 groups with the same amount of votes. Then gently caress I don't know. I can't have everything planned out.
I guess we'll just have anarchy then. :shrug:

Sazero fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 24, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Group 3. Incidentally, you seem to have swapped which games Bartz and Cecil are from in that writeup.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Whoops yeah, you're right.
For some reason I always get those two mixed up. :v:

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
Group 3. And I find it amusing that the Warrior of Light counts as a group by himself.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Technically Squall is also solo, but he ends his chapter joining Group 2

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I will vote Group 1.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Alright, so Zidane and Butz Bartz are next.

I guess we needed a break from all the seriousness and have a Seriously Fun Treasure Hunt

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm looking forward to a treasure hunt.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 16

I need to get checked for all the attention disorders or something, as this keeps happening when it shouldn't.
Maybe I should start a twitter to have people complain about me when I don't update. :v:

Nevertheless it's an update.

As the thread voted for it's Group Treasure Fun.
I decided to start off with Zidane, as his side of the little story works better as a fundament to Bartz, than vice versa.
Join me, as Zidane and Bartz go looking for their crystals.
It also dawns upon me how little I really know about FF9. Or maybe how little that game interested me. Even looking up on the wiki gave me nothing.
Maybe it's just the rust from not having updated in 2 months.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Wow, you nearly got beaten by Kefka there. And can I assume the "lion" is Squall?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Almost getting beaten by an enemy is gonna happen to me alot.
It's because I treat HP as a margin for error, where having less hp means I have to play better.

I think I've mentioned it before, but the AI does tend to favor HP attacks more when they have the kill,
which is good as they become more predictable. Atleast for low level play like we are still seeing.
Mid to high level play is gonna be different, though some characters change more than others.

Yeah. the "lion" is Squall Leonheart

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 17

After having fought an insane clown, Zidane continues his quest to find Bartz.
On his way, we find an idiot, fight Final Fantasy Vegeta, and follow mysterious guiding lights.

---

So I've mentioned before that Dissidia has really good voice acting, but it isn't until Shibbotech pointed out that
Garland sounds vaguely familiar

He is actually voiced by Christopher Sabat, the same dude who voices Vegeta.

Zidane is voiced by Bryce Papenbrook, who has a ton of game voice acting roles.

Squall is voiced by Doug Erholtz, who also has a ton of voice acting roles, but is also Squalls voice actor in Kingdom Hearts 2

In fact I think it's pretty safe to say that any character who had a voice in their original game, also have the same voice actor.

On the female side we have:

Tasia Valenza voicing Ultimecia. She is also the voice of Poison Ivy in Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Cosmos is voiced by Veronica Taylor, who has a ton of anime roles.

I'm not leaving anyone out because they aren't a big name voice actor, but because I don't want to quote all of IMDB.
The talent is immense. Though I wouldn't recommend checking out the IMDB page because of possible spoilers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think that basically all the character development that doesn't really happen to Zidane (since he just rolls with whatever) is probably going to be happening to Kuja, who has kind of a unique outlook among series villains, I think?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looking at the group choices before, I definitely didn't expect Squall to be joining this group. I'm sure it won't be for too long.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I think in FF9, the focus is on pretty much everyone, but Zidane. Zidane doesn't really have character growth as much as he has a sudden new motivation.
There's Vivi and the artificial black mages
Garnet and redefining herself as someone more than just her social status
Steiner does... something? maybe? :v:

Much like Dissidia, FF9 is amongst the weaker areas of my Final Fantasy knowledge.
Unfortunately, Dissidia doesn't take the missed character growth from Zidane and pour
it into Kuja. So in that regard, I think Zidanes chapter is worse than other characters.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 18

After another embarrasing 3 months, and having sat on this video for 2 weeks, I finally get my poo poo together and update.

We are done with Zidane for now. Somehow or another, murdering Kuja allowed him to get his crystal. This is totally not going to be a predictable theme.
With that out of the way, we can move on to Bartz. What did happen to him after all?

Hey, you know how anime sometimes have recursive time loops that gets reaaaaaaally loving old, real fast?
I sure hope this isn't going to become a thing here too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Sazero posted:

Hey, you know how anime sometimes have recursive time loops that gets reaaaaaaally loving old, real fast?
I sure hope this isn't going to become a thing here too. :v:

Time loop you say?

• Locked thread