Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
You know, from the moving pictures in the theaters or television or whatever.

This afternoon- and I am still not sure how or why - I got a link to a thread here (which has since ceased to be, it is now an ex-thread):

I enjoyed this picture, and I wanted to reply with "im the tinfoil bracers" which by estimates had a 13% chance of getting a chuckle out of someone other than me. I liked those odds.

I still like 'em. Goons, I ask of you to post your favoite bad movie props or costumes. Ten pages of PYF topics failed to turn up a relevant thread, so this here, this is the thread now.

First up is Turkish Star Wars , aka Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (The Man Who Saved the World). If you don't know what it is, click here for three minutes of the unironically raddest movie ever made

Besides the two dozens examples in that one clip alone, the costuming department was no slouch, either:

Goofball, noooooo!

Of special note is that plywood golden sword of great power. Because the hero is far too manly for a mere sword, he melts it down and dips his bare hands into molten metal producing gaunlets worthy of a man who can turn bolders into improvised explosives:

Most of TSWakaDKA(TMWSTW) is pretty much pure "props on a fishing line budget", and that's before you factor in the footage and soundtrack straight up stolen from Star Wars: A New Hope and Indiana Jones, respectively.

1982 Turkey film production is one thing, though, that's at least having a picture of a wheel to go by while you are reinventing it. 1960's scifi, that's where it's loving at. Star Trek, Tee Oh Esss.

The Horta was an alien who was someone wriggling under a fire blanket that was topped in dog poo poo and expansion foam. Actually, if you squint, it kind of looks like something out of The Binding of Isaac. Or Time Fcuk.

Costumes are low hanging fruit, though, and barely count as props. No, the Star Trek prop I remember most vividly from all those episodes I saw on PBS as a young child sneaking TV after 10pm on PBS, it's this:

This episode featured a mysterious figure spraying future poison into future milk, utilizing spray bottle. At the time, they had just started coming on the market, so it's not so much as terrible as funny in hindsight. The modern equivalent is seeing Captain Picard use a tablet PC, or watching Wesley Crusher avoid playing that three-dee augmented reality game that made everyone brainwashed, but then he managed to reactivate Data who busted in last minute and flashed everyone with bright lights and (probably) sporting a gigantic erection, because his hosed up creator gave him working cyber-genitals but made it so he couldn't experience emotions.

Or virtual aspergers or whatever he was wired up with.

Also that food, man. It looks like green-bean and corn and steak flavored starbursts and honestly I would try the gently caress out of that at least once. The milk is probably almond milk or something that is ok too.

Oh, there's the episode with the aliens who possessed human form or bodies or whatever, then (spoilers!) went native. Before Scotty drank them all under the table (literally, it's what happened to at least one of them), they threatened to turn everyone into these:

And then either crush them with one hand, or turn them into decorative floral arrangements. :ghost:

It's worth noting that he made an example of a white woman and a black guy, crushed one of the cubes, and the reveal is that the bad guy killed the girl, leaving the black guy ok. At least, that's how seven-year-old me remembers it, and seven-year-old me was put off by the captain's reaction back then, too.

Seven-year-old me also thought those cube-things looked tasty, however, so YMMV.

So, that's enough to get you started! Post You are Favorite bad looking cheapo props. Awful costumes and half-assed sets are also allowed, of course, but props should take priority.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of the galdiator movie thread, and the goon who was the bull. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
For me, it will never top the last few seconds of Cantonen Iron Kung Fu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJsMosbA-0

Edited: can't timestamp embedded videos I guess? 8:50 onward.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

The Horta was an alien who was someone wriggling under a fire blanket that was topped in dog poo poo and expansion foam. Actually, if you squint, it kind of looks like something out of The Binding of Isaac. Or Time Fcuk.

The Horta prop is especially interesting because of its origin.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Horta

quote:

What neither Justman nor Coon had realized at the time however, was that Prohaska had actually already created the creature previously for the original ABC series The Outer Limits, first appearing in the final episode, and that he had only slightly modified the rubber costume with veins and the "fringe" for its Star Trek appearance. (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 3, Issue 9, p. 73) Titled "The Probe" (with Peter Mark Richman), the Outer Limits episode's storyline was about survivors of a plane crash in the Pacific waking up to find themselves (and their life raft) on the floor of an alien spacecraft sent to collect terrestrial lifeforms. In this episode, broadcast in January 1965, the future Mrs. Horta was performing yeoman service as a giant cold germ threatening the hapless Earth people. (The World of Star Trek, 3rd ed., p. 74)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the watermelon monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8COKzlgU5Ck

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Paramemetic posted:

For me, it will never top the last few seconds of Cantonen Iron Kung Fu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJsMosbA-0

Edited: can't timestamp embedded videos I guess? 8:50 onward.

These movies look rad as hell, and I need to watch them immediately if not sooner. I took a break from the genre for a decade or so after watching Riki-Oh (The Story of Ricky) because Jesus Christ the effects in it are hard to top:

See what I mean? :haw:

Even when the last fight ends up with the Warden going Steroid Cannibal Klingon (not spoilering because it already raises so many other questions)...

Ricky solves the problem with Industrial-Meat-Grinder-Assisted-Fu!

This is how you properly do a boss battle. None of that "rapidly flash colors and exploding" bullshit.

And then you do a victory lap, prior to punching through a giant wall and releasing hundreds, if not thousands, of violent criminals back onto the streets.

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Aug 29, 2015

• Locked thread