Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao

Sometimes old people get confused giving directions. They'll tell you what something used to be 20 years ago as if you were a local, though if you were a local you'd likely not need directions at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

Old: You wanna head down past the old pharmacy, take a left and go down past the old oak tree.

Me: I don't see a pharmacy.

Old: just go past it.

Me: All I see is a sex shop.

Old: Watch your mouth, rude boy...

tao of lmao

Every time a guy asks me for directions, he's by himself. One can only assume the married guys are too proud to look dumb in front of their wives, but their wives already know they're dumb so idgi.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Don't ask for directions... DEMAND THEM. #alphatips #nobetaman #swerve

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
Me: "Excuse me, sir, is this the way south?"
Old Man in Rocking Chair on Porch: "All roads lead south, harlot"
Me: "wh-"
OMiRCoP: "we all gonna burn"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FartGhost

tao of lmao posted:

Old: You wanna head down past the old pharmacy, take a left and go down past the old oak tree.

Me: I don't see a pharmacy.

Old: just go past it.

Me: All I see is a sex shop.

Old: Watch your mouth, rude boy...

lol

tao of lmao

There's an old SNL sketch called "What's the Best Way" and I can't find it online anywhere, but it's hilarious. Here's the transcript.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92ibestway.phtml

tao of lmao

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1mSuuOUFBR9

joke_explainer

Sometimes I think smartphones have eroded the concept of 'terrain knowledge' or whatever in cities. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's kind of interesting. Like I remember the roads around where I grew up far better than the ones I've lived at longer here in the future. Once you get off the narrow corridors Google Maps sends me everywhere on, it's kind of an odd feeling of alienation for a city you've lived in a long time.

Oh I googled it and here's an article about it.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2013/03/how-google-maps-changes-pedestrian-behavior/5134/

Talking about how over-dependence on google maps changes the way people experience travel / spatial orientation in a city. Kind of interesting. My grandpa always said, the first thing you do during an invasion is unbolt all the street signs so the invaders won't be able to as easily use maps and get around while the locals can still do so, but for some people at least that's not as true anymore I guess.

Still doesn't mean it's bad or anything, just kind of an interesting change. The convenience is probably worth the change.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

tao of lmao posted:

There's an old SNL sketch called "What's the Best Way" and I can't find it online anywhere, but it's hilarious. Here's the transcript.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92ibestway.phtml

that isn't even a joke, it's overheard discussions at every elk's lodge in new england

----------------

cuntman.net

joke_explainer posted:

Talking about how over-dependence on google maps changes the way people experience travel / spatial orientation in a city. Kind of interesting. My grandpa always said, the first thing you do during an invasion is unbolt all the street signs so the invaders won't be able to as easily use maps and get around while the locals can still do so, but for some people at least that's not as true anymore I guess.

i dont think so because the enemys smartphones wont have service

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

joke_explainer posted:

Sometimes I think smartphones have eroded the concept of 'terrain knowledge' or whatever in cities. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's kind of interesting. Like I remember the roads around where I grew up far better than the ones I've lived at longer here in the future. Once you get off the narrow corridors Google Maps sends me everywhere on, it's kind of an odd feeling of alienation for a city you've lived in a long time.

Oh I googled it and here's an article about it.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2013/03/how-google-maps-changes-pedestrian-behavior/5134/

Still doesn't mean it's bad or anything, just kind of an interesting change. The convenience is probably worth the change.

i use the phone to find my way once, then learn the terrain and signs and improve from there.

----------------

joke_explainer

Qwerinty posted:

i use the phone to find my way once, then learn the terrain and signs and improve from there.

you're like a cyborg... augmented by technology, not defined by it... :psylon:

tao of lmao

gps tech has made navigating boston ten times easier, but it's still easier to just take the T everywhere

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
I can picture all these old soldiers doing really cool things like taking down signs and idiot 14 year old s just not even caring, tag your it.

A Tin Of Beans

Qwerinty posted:

i think this is a good way to do it. also sometimes i like to just look at the map, see where a thing is, and find my own path from there.. i think that's really good. when you can look at the map and formulate your route yourself that helps you learn how to do it without the map. and the n you're safe from gps failing when the aliens attack the earth because you'll know everything about getting around your locality but i guess you also want to explore on foot and see if you can't find any old hideouts or forgotten bunkers/shelters because the whole earth's under attack and just knowing how you get to the other target, the one you don't usually go to because it's smaller but they've got a bigger selection of asian foods, if that's all you know then maybe that won't help so much, except no one else goes to that one either so maybe you do go there and you hole up inside because no one else knows how to get there and civilization's broken down because of the drat aliens but it's fine because you're in this target nobody knows how to get to and you've got all this asian food to yourself now and forever until you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

google THIS

"if you see a dead squirrel by the road you've gone too far"
-- actual direction given by my actual grandpa

• Locked thread