Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Problem description: After just a few minutes of operation (always after boot, usually as soon as I try to open something like a browser window) both of my computer monitors will simultaneously lose their signal. The computer is still operational, any audio coming out of the computer continues to play and it takes input from the keyboard. The monitors know they are plugged in but they are not getting signal.

Attempted fixes: I tried re-seating the graphics card and cleaned out the computer of dust. I also tried operating with just one monitor (in case there just wasn't enough power for both, or something) but that didn't change anything. I also tried updating the graphic card drivers via the hardware management interface but it told me my drivers were up to date (and had been installed years ago)

Recent changes: I have not. The problem first occurred suddenly while I was browsing the internet, I had probably been using for an hour at that point. Now on restart it occurs again within just a few minutes of using it

--

Operating system: windows 7 pro 64bit

System specs: The computer is an HP refurb desktop, it's one of the Pavilion HPE's. The processor is an I7 2600 (3.4ghz), 16gb ram, and the video card is a radeon 7670. I didn't look at the power supply but I will update with those specs when I get home.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes I have, most everything is either about overheating (which I think is not the problem since the computer itself isn't shutting down) or details about installing linked exe files to remove drivers (which just scares me coming from a message board.

I suspect the problem is the power supply, but a lot of the googling I did suggested that this can happen with bad drivers? I should mention that in the past I did have a problem where graphics would hang for ~20 seconds and then come back and tell me that the graphic drivers stopped responding. I hadn't had this problem in maybe 2 or 3 months though. Another thing about the computer is that it does tend to "overheat" (atleast I think it's overheating). If I don't keep a small desktop fan blowing into the open case at all times it will eventually just shut down while doing something graphically intensive. This hasn't happened in a while as I always have a fan now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Uninstall the graphics drivers, reboot, run Display Driver Uninstaller, reboot, install the latest Catalyst drivers from the AMD website. Trying to update drivers through Device Manager just checks your machine and Windows Update, which won't find updated hardware drivers. If the problems persist, try testing from the Intel integrated graphics. If problems persist with the graphics card but not the Intel integrated graphics, that would strongly indicate the videocard has failed.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Alereon posted:

Uninstall the graphics drivers, reboot, run Display Driver Uninstaller, reboot, install the latest Catalyst drivers from the AMD website. Trying to update drivers through Device Manager just checks your machine and Windows Update, which won't find updated hardware drivers. If the problems persist, try testing from the Intel integrated graphics. If problems persist with the graphics card but not the Intel integrated graphics, that would strongly indicate the videocard has failed.

Thanks for the response!

I did this, when I uninstalled the drivers it never went blank again but then it started back up when I reinstalled the newest drivers. Oddly I don't seem to have an option to connect to the onboard video (atleast I don't see a video port sticking out from anything else other than the graphics card. Should I just try an older version of the drivers or something?

EDIT: I'm wrong, tried the whole thing again and this time while downloading a different driver (with none installed, right after running the uninstaller) the screens turned off again... it did take a while to happen though and I was watching videos in a browser window.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 3, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I think your videocard has failed, do you have access to another card you can test with?

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Alereon posted:

I think your videocard has failed, do you have access to another card you can test with?

I have one other but it was somehow too big to fit in the connecter looked identical but I think the actual profile of the card was just too long or maybe it was because it was one of the wide ones that take two expansion bays and I was replacing a slimmer card. However, I'm not against ordering a replacement and assuming that's the piece at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I do think the videocard has failed, though generally I prefer to test to see if it works with another card if possible before telling people to buy new hardware. So you know what kind of card you tried to use? If it's PCI-E also it should fit, though it's possible it may be too long for your case. Most videocards are double-wide and require you to remove the adjacent slot cover. Also, if your system is slim-line you will need a special low-profile card. I'd suggest posting in the Parts Picking Megathread when you're ready to decide what to get, they'll need your exact system model and to know if you want to play any games for example.

• Locked thread