Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i dont think there are that many manga like that, yugioh sort of stumbled into it. anime functions better as a commercial in that role. duel masters, buddyfight, cardfight vanguard, shadowverse, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I really enjoyed Frieren and the Monogatari series. Bunny Girl Senpai kinda hit the spot but felt like a cheap knockoff -- any animes up to that caliber in recent years?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Watch Delicious in Dungeon

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Agreed on Delicious in Dungeon. Bocchi the Rock! is the previous work by the Frieren director, it's a very different genre (goofball band comedy) but also boasts a lavish production and strong visual imagination

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sailormoon posted:

I really enjoyed Frieren and the Monogatari series. Bunny Girl Senpai kinda hit the spot but felt like a cheap knockoff -- any animes up to that caliber in recent years?

Have you watched the Rascal dreams of a dreaming girl movie yet? Go watch that right now if not.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When a Yandere appears, the target of her "affections" usually wants nothing to do with her. But are there any series where someone decides being a kept (wo)man isn't so bad and just rolls with having a crazy gf

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
rec me a manga along the lines of:

shuzo oshimi's works (happiness, aku no hana, blood on the tracks, etc)
punpun/eri
scums wish

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

punpun/eri
scums wish

Well, it doesn't go near as far, but the author of Scum's Wish is doing the art for Oshi no Ko, and it occasionally has reminders of that fact.

Probably a dumb question, but you read any Tatsuki Fujimoto? He's got more of a pulp sensibility a lot of the time, but the whole "examining very damaged people and their coping mechanisms" bit is the focus of a lot of his manga.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

punpun/eri
scums wish

if the line you're after is "abject misery", it doesn't get any more miserable than Night Patrol Sensei, though the misery is more focused on social issues than deep psychological examination of the characters.
another one that might fit the bill is Monster. it is a psychological thriller (though focusing more on the thriller than the psychological part) and is probably Urasawa's best, since he's always been great at writing large casts of complex characters but in this one he doesn't bloat up the mystery to an unmanageable level.

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably a dumb question, but you read any Tatsuki Fujimoto? He's got more of a pulp sensibility a lot of the time, but the whole "examining very damaged people and their coping mechanisms" bit is the focus of a lot of his manga.

by Eri they meant Sayonara Eri so i'm guessing yes. but they should read Look Back if they haven't!!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe Fool’s Night? Not quite as soul crushing (so far) as your examples, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SexyBlindfold posted:

if the line you're after is "abject misery"

Yeah but with an element of unusual/dysfunctional romance. like Aku No Hana specifically works because of Takao's interest/obsession with Sawa.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PRADA SLUT posted:

punpun/eri
scums wish

You want lots of misery drama? Nana.

It's basically, "Lots of very bishi hipsters are terrible to each other."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PRADA SLUT posted:

punpun/eri
scums wish

Sensei’s Pious Lie. It’s about sexual assault and generally society being terrible to women. It’s made by the ex-wife of the guy who made Goodnight Punpun, too

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

punpun/eri
scums wish

Welcome to the NHK would fit in pretty well with those.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When a Yandere appears, the target of her "affections" usually wants nothing to do with her. But are there any series where someone decides being a kept (wo)man isn't so bad and just rolls with having a crazy gf

Future Diary/Mirai Nikki

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is almost literally the premise of "My girlfriend gives me goosebumps", but it's manga only, not anime.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you watched the Rascal dreams of a dreaming girl movie yet? Go watch that right now if not.

This ended up being much better than expected and made me happier I watched the series. How’re the other movies?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fantasy settings that don't wear TTRPG trappings like mana, guilds and character classes, please. I like those things in moderation but I could really go for something unique that doesn't pull from the usual toy box.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arc Hammer posted:

Fantasy settings that don't wear TTRPG trappings like mana, guilds and character classes, please. I like those things in moderation but I could really go for something unique that doesn't pull from the usual toy box.

Frieren. The most non-D&D, D&D show currently airing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AlternateNu posted:

Currently watching alongside Dungeon Meshi, hence why I'm feeling a bit overloaded by mana systems, fighter mage rogue cleric parties and general D&D-ness. I enjoy them for what they are but I'm looking for some alternatives to spice it up.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Currently watching alongside Dungeon Meshi, hence why I'm feeling a bit overloaded by mana systems, fighter mage rogue cleric parties and general D&D-ness. I enjoy them for what they are but I'm looking for some alternatives to spice it up.

If the animes had been good I'd have rec'd Faraway Paladin and Helck. I still do rec the manga though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Kyousougiga
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Chaika: The Coffin Princess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think someone mentioned Moribito like a year ago when I was looking for more Kenji Kawai soundtracks. That's two reasons to watch, I guess.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AlternateNu posted:

Nah, Delicious in Dungeon is the D&D show. Frieren is a Dragon Quest (they’re both good)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Arc Hammer posted:

Drifters

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen

there's few series I want to see a high budget adaptation more of than Bard Loen. an absolutely beautiful series both in visuals and tone

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for post-apoc/wasteland/desert shows, preferably with an armored vehicle the cast travel in. finished Sand Land yesterday and I want more.

I've seen The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye (took a while to figure out what it was called), which basically is exactly what I want (though it was pretty mid itself). Also seen Girls' Last Tour.

For reference, seen Trigun and Desert Punk too, though those aren't quite what I'm looking for (well, besides not liking it, I barely remember anything about Desert Punk)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Not an exact match but I've been following Uzusumi no Hate and it's really good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rinkles posted:

Looking for post-apoc/wasteland/desert shows, preferably with an armored vehicle the cast travel in. finished Sand Land yesterday and I want more.

I've seen The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye (took a while to figure out what it was called), which basically is exactly what I want (though it was pretty mid itself). Also seen Girls' Last Tour.

For reference, seen Trigun and Desert Punk too, though those aren't quite what I'm looking for (well, besides not liking it, I barely remember anything about Desert Punk)

Well there's more episodes of sandland coming out, so there's that.

You might enjoy Children of the Whales.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rinkles posted:

Now & Then, Here & There (no vehicle) and Ergo Proxy (boat) if you haven't seen those. Casshern Sins (no vehicle), Sabikui Bisco (giant crab) also. Bisco definitely the one closest to mid here fwiw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Fist of the North Star had cars it would just be anime Mad Max and I would be fine with that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Hammer posted:

If Fist of the North Star had cars it would just be anime Mad Max and I would be fine with that.

Bat and the gang drive around in dunebuggies sometimes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That Works posted:

Bat and the gang drive around in dunebuggies sometimes

Not enough to take the focus off of punchmans, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Julias posted:

Well there's more episodes of sandland coming out, so there's that.

You might enjoy Children of the Whales.

yeah but they're leaving the dunes. regardless, it's not like it's a fantastic show, but it just put me in the mood for that kind of thing.

thanks for the other recommendations. glad i asked.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the only thing i remember about Desert Punk are the wacky inflatable tube breasts

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Synthbuttrange posted:

the only thing i remember about Desert Punk are the wacky inflatable tube breasts

unless you turned it off partway through episode 1 due to aforementioned egregious fanservice, it's difficult to believe anyone could really forget the series' horrible unlikable rear end in a top hat gremlin of a protagonist

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah all I remember about desert punk is sand and tits.

Nothing specific, just they are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i remember the cover that got me interested