Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bee Keeper
Dec 29, 2010

Sic Transit Gloria
I've been working on a Lets Play for the AGS kings quest remake. Same game, better graphics and sound quality.

I read that we shouldn't post finished LPs. so, this one is not done yet. Some of the chapters are mislabeled, but nothing is skipped.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSj9jeccQ4L1a1jK_VeuA-_0RNEaXXgsI

I've been working on the sound, it has a bit of an echo, but I got headphones to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Why are your videos only in like 5 minute chunks? Where's chapter 4 in the play list? Who's AGS? So many questions...

Bee Keeper
Dec 29, 2010

Sic Transit Gloria
Good call. AGS is a program called adventure game studio. It's a modern point and click engine.

Some good folks revamped the Kings Quest earlier adventures, with better graphics and sound.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/144/

I made the videos 5-8 minutes long because I figured that was a comfortable length for people to watch and take breaks?
I will make the next versions longer I guess.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
Well, for me personally, I like watching videos of a length anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes long. Unless I'm binge-watching through a playlist thirty videos long, that tends not to take up a whole lot of time in the short term. In my opinion, there is such a thing as being too compact, at least for Let's Plays, and five minutes really isn't a long enough time to actually progress through the game in any one video. In general, as much as people may try to prove otherwise, they can hold their attention fairly well to videos if they have time for it. And really, if they have poo poo to do, they can just pause the video and get back to it later, heh.

Those are just my :words: worth two cents, however.

Bee Keeper
Dec 29, 2010

Sic Transit Gloria
Well, then I guess its good that I'm doing this with thread progression.

Any feedback regarding how I work (settings, sound, speed, plot explanation) is welcome.
Personally watching them, I feel a bit distant, like im talking to myself as apposed to the viewers. Gonna work on that.

I will make the videos 10-20 minutes from now on. And I apologize about the missing chapters. They are saving at 5g plus and it takes too long to upload so I have errors. I'm using fraps btw.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Bee Keeper posted:

Well, then I guess its good that I'm doing this with thread progression.

Any feedback regarding how I work (settings, sound, speed, plot explanation) is welcome.
Personally watching them, I feel a bit distant, like im talking to myself as apposed to the viewers. Gonna work on that.

I will make the videos 10-20 minutes from now on. And I apologize about the missing chapters. They are saving at 5g plus and it takes too long to upload so I have errors. I'm using fraps btw.
Are you uploading the raw avi files from Fraps? Because you could definitely be saving yourself some time by re-encoding them to a more reasonably sized MP4. Really if you needed any help on that end, I'd be more than happy to assist; I mean you could probably just get away with using OBS if it'll pick up the program and that alone would probably (and easily) give you a reasonably sized video.

And it is pretty interesting that someone remade the King's Quest games in a better engine; figured that Sierra (or who ever owns the game rights now) wouldn't be cool with that but it's wonderful that they are. It's always a bummer to hear when games that will never get remakes or see the light of day are just locked down in IP limbo.

Also I hope I didn't come across as rude; it's just rarely do I see such short videos and even when I do it's usually for something that's at a much quicker pace like platformers.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
One other thing to note, you should really embed the videos in the thread instead of using a Youtube playlist.

In my opinion at least, makes it look a lot more like a youtube dump than a progressing thread.

Bee Keeper
Dec 29, 2010

Sic Transit Gloria
Thanks for the advice, I will encode them to more reasonably sized mp4s like suggested. It's my first time doing this but yeah, my 2gig 5 minute videos is ridiculous.

Also, it is really cool that sierra doesnt mind the remakes. Not only that but Roberta Williams the creator of the Kings Quest series gave complete permission for Phoenix Online to make a fan based sequel to the kings quest series called The Silver Lining.

http://www.postudios.com/company/games/thesilverlining/

very classy move.

EDIT: I also was unaware I could embed the videos in the thread.

Bee Keeper fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 18, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
About the game, it is a fan made remake from AGD Interactive. The title has been changed from the original "King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne" and it's not the only thing they changed. The game has a similar story arc, but it is quite different in terms of many puzzles, side characters and storied. For the most part, that is a good thing, since the original's King's Quest II's plot and narrative made little sense and the game was mostly an excuse for patching together random puzzles and ways to screw yourself.

I am not sure if the version from the AGS forum is the latest one available. You can always find the latest version from the official site here: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq2/download/download.html

AGD Interactive has also made remakes for KQ1, KQ3, and Quest for Glory 2. They released one (commercial) adventure of their own IP titled "Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's mine" (which was not really that good... in my opinion), and they are currently working on a kickstarted adventure called Mage's Initiation - which is heavily inspired by the Quest for Glory series, and seems very promising (I am a backer for that).

quote:

Also, it is really cool that sierra doesnt mind the remakes. Not only that but Roberta Williams the creator of the Kings Quest series gave complete permission for Phoenix Online to make a fan based sequel to the kings quest series called The Silver Lining.

http://www.postudios.com/company/games/thesilverlining/

very classy move.

Yeah maybe. But they still received 2 cease and desist letters (one by Vivendi, and later by Activision - when they were very close to releasing the first episode) and after reaching some agreement with them, they did have to remove "King's Quest" from the title.
For the record, the Silver Lining still has an episode pending in order to be conpleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bee Keeper
Dec 29, 2010

Sic Transit Gloria
AbstractNapper is correct in everything he said. There was indeed some legal back and forth before it was obviously decided AGD were doing no real harm and the harassment stopped.

I just uploaded the next two chapters if anyones interested. They are 16 and 9 minutes each, the next one will be about 45 minutes.

enjoy

Chapter 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9u9KeUICDE
Chapter 11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kswnE7cwuME

• Locked thread