Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
google THIS

if your entire store is a big frying pan don't you just call it a hibachi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfinArbiter

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh

now if that frying pan was a cookie sheet the show would have sucked

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

SurfinArbiter posted:

now if that frying pan was a cookie sheet the show would have sucked

Tom and Jerry taught me and my brother all our conflict resolution skills

tao of lmao

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Suddenly the cookie sheet frying pan thread takes a dark turn when posters actually dont know anything about pans

paging joke explainer to the thread

joke_explainer

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Suddenly the cookie sheet frying pan thread takes a dark turn when posters actually dont know anything about pans

TWIST FIST was making a joke about 'even heating' in a pan: Saying, well, if I heat 4 sections equally, it must be even!

The joke being that pans often do not heat evenly, despite being metal as weird jokes about possibly about a little further down.

Pomp didn't realize TWIST FIST is joking (or is just playing the 'straight man' in this bit, I can't tell you for sure, if so they probably are sweating given that everyone seems to not realize it, tough crowd), so was skeptical, and for good reason: Many pans heat very unevenly. High-end cookware often has a jacket of copper or aluminum sandwiched inside stainless steel (for cleaning and being non-reactive with food), with the jacket going all the way through the sides of the pan.

Copper and aluminum are excellent heat conductors, and as long as there's a sufficient and even bulk of the metal throughout the pan, you tend to get more even heating. Stainless steel is okay too. Very cheap pans tend to be exceptionally thin, which means there's no 'heat reservoir' so they very quickly scorch around the area around the flame. Cast iron pans are actually terrible at even heating, oddly enough. They hold their heat for a long time (lots of metal making a large 'heat reservoir), but don't particularly heat evenly, with hundreds of degree differences around the heat source and the edges of the pan.

Big, heavy copper's the very best for heat conduction. But very very expensive, and hard to maintain in my opinion. Copper jacketed with stainless steel gives you a lot of the benefit with easy cleanup. All-clad, or the culinary institute of america make extremely high quality pans -- an all-clad 12 or 14 inch frying pan will probably outlast you. I've had the same one for like over a decade now. Great pan.

Anyway, if you're curious about your own pans and their heat conductance, you can try this yourself by making a heat map of the pans with some parchment paper. Just lightly toast it while it sits on the pan and then you can check the progression of heat through the pan, like this author for the NY times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/dining/08curi.html?pagewanted=all

City of Glompton

Piso Mojado posted:

I only use my frying pans for cartoonishly hitting blundering intruders. Its really handy to have several sizes because not all robbers are the same build.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

joke_explainer posted:

TWIST FIST was making a joke about 'even heating' in a pan: Saying, well, if I heat 4 sections equally, it must be even!

The joke being that pans often do not heat evenly, despite being metal as weird jokes about possibly about a little further down.

Pomp didn't realize TWIST FIST is joking (or is just playing the 'straight man' in this bit, I can't tell you for sure, if so they probably are sweating given that everyone seems to not realize it, tough crowd), so was skeptical, and for good reason: Many pans heat very unevenly. High-end cookware often has a jacket of copper or aluminum sandwiched inside stainless steel (for cleaning and being non-reactive with food), with the jacket going all the way through the sides of the pan.

Copper and aluminum are excellent heat conductors, and as long as there's a sufficient and even bulk of the metal throughout the pan, you tend to get more even heating. Stainless steel is okay too. Very cheap pans tend to be exceptionally thin, which means there's no 'heat reservoir' so they very quickly scorch around the area around the flame. Cast iron pans are actually terrible at even heating, oddly enough. They hold their heat for a long time (lots of metal making a large 'heat reservoir), but don't particularly heat evenly, with hundreds of degree differences around the heat source and the edges of the pan.

Big, heavy copper's the very best for heat conduction. But very very expensive, and hard to maintain in my opinion. Copper jacketed with stainless steel gives you a lot of the benefit with easy cleanup. All-clad, or the culinary institute of america make extremely high quality pans -- an all-clad 12 or 14 inch frying pan will probably outlast you. I've had the same one for like over a decade now. Great pan.

Anyway, if you're curious about your own pans and their heat conductance, you can try this yourself by making a heat map of the pans with some parchment paper. Just lightly toast it while it sits on the pan and then you can check the progression of heat through the pan, like this author for the NY times:

you can tell joke explainer's both a military man and a foodie, his pans are full metal jackets

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

joke_explainer posted:

:henget:

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

I like to bake loaves of bread on my frying pan, a cookie sheet would only make little tiny loaves of bread and id look like a fool

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
can I really make cookies in a frying pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

What I hear in my head when I read a secdro post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8FCLT8S6A

• Locked thread