Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

doomrider7 posted:

Someone to fill the lookout spot I can get, but I doubt it'll be carrot since she just doesn't strike me for that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

When's the last time they really needed a helmsman and didn't have one? Ship roles in One Piece only tend to become vitally necessary shortly before someone comes along to fill them.

I can totally see the crazy weather around Raftel making a skilled lookout mandatory because they can't trust their instruments, for instance. Or a fight scene where Usopp need an extra spotter.

So they get a lookout either to do Nami's job for her, or to do Usopp's job for him? Not a fan of that idea.

But if they do get a lookout, Carrot would be the obvious choice, I guess.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

in a bad/wild weather scenario a lookout would coordinate with Nami to confirm everything for her, or point out things beyodn the horizons that would affect their navigation beyond just weather patterns and maps, so she can better relay what to do with the ship

the navigation power trio of Nami, Jinbei & Carrot. Together, they're unstoppable

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Given that the Crows Nest is Zoro's training area, he already basically fulfils that role.

You want Zoro to be the lookout? ZORO ? LOOKOUT? That boy can't walk 2 feet without getting lost. He doesn't know port from starboard or up from down or left from right. Why do you think he stays in the crow's nest? Because it's impossible for him to get lost up there.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
What other possible role could he serve on a ship?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Given that the Crows Nest is Zoro's training area, he already basically fulfils that role.

That place is sweet too, saw it in a filler episode once and it's decked out with a mini fridge and the works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zoro is the first mate.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

What other possible role could he serve on a ship?

He's first mate

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Julias posted:

...you know, I was just thinking, Buggy and Shanks never went to Laugh Tale, maybe they'll wind up tagging along/intersecting with Luffy there?

Buggy I really can't figure out, his Captain John's treasure plotline seems like it's going to have a big payoff. Why or how I have no idea.

Shanks I also can't figure out. I've been re-reading the series again and I've been leaning towards him being a bad guy. But then you have the Gorosei early on in the series saying things like "we can't let Shanks and Whitebeard meet", "he's not one to try to change the world" etc. So though recent events would make it seem like he's far too friendly with the Gorosei, maybe that's simply because he wanted to maintain the Balance that used to exist. So now I'm leaning towards my original feeling which is just that he'll have friendly duel with Luffy's crew 1v1 as the gatekeeper to Raftel to make sure Luffy's strong enough to change the world, then he gets killed by Blackbeard.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What was Robin's role again?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

Exposition fairy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mraagvpeine posted:

Archaeologist/Assassin/Intelligence/Plot Device to reach the main goal of the series. A very resourceful character.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Fanservice

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I feel like people get too hung up on crew "roles" when for me it's more about who Luffy wants to hang out with. It seems to me like Oda settled on the helmsman role for Jinbei fairly late, he was clearly in a more diplomat/political advisor role in the early and middle part the Big Mom arc.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Even as far back as the Impel Down escape, Jimbei was helming the ship, so it might have been a long set-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Please see the new thread here!