Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how North American release always translates into USA exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TuxedoOrca posted:

Depending on the movie it might either be closer to a compilation movie (with stuff changed around/new animation added) or a reimagining of the TV show's plot.

The Frontier movies are a reimaging of the plot. I say watch both, show and movies are both good.

And yeah, Frontier has a ton of musical montages. The AMVs are official!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I should watch Overman King Gainer. Tomino and Okouchi collaborating sounds like it could be crazy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Arc Hammer posted:

I should watch Overman King Gainer. Tomino and Okouchi collaborating sounds like it could be crazy.

It's the good kind of crazy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Overman King Gainer is extremely good.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

mllaneza posted:

The Frontier movies are a reimaging of the plot. I say watch both, show and movies are both good.

And yeah, Frontier has a ton of musical montages. The AMVs are official!

That's how I did it, yeah. Shows then movies.

In Frontier when "Lion" starts playing I get excited. Love that song.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every Sheryl song is a 10/10 masterpiece

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Big revelations in this week's Bravern. Smith is completely waxed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I remain continuously astonished that Bravern is as sound and coherent and GOOD a series as it is given it completely changes tones and genres every 3-6 minutes. It is such a ride every week.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blaze Dragon posted:

Big revelations in this week's Bravern. Smith is completely waxed.

How else can you be completely smooth in a full body skin tight suit

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I remain continuously astonished that Bravern is as sound and coherent and GOOD a series as it is given it completely changes tones and genres every 3-6 minutes. It is such a ride every week.

It has waterboarding as a serious, traumatizing incident for the hero, then it turns it into a running gag. Not something I've seen before.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Disregard.

Logicblade fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 25, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is a Gundam thread

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
So there is. Whoopsie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a mecha thread, they can talk about a gundam show here too. Just like I'm gonna comment on how good Bravern's cgi mecha look and how well they're integrated into scenes with regular 2D animation since 3D mechas often look super janky in composite shots.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're gonna get more traction in the Gundam thread though my man, it's generally more active

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
People can post in two threads

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a mecha thread, they can talk about a gundam show here too. Just like I'm gonna comment on how good Bravern's cgi mecha look and how well they're integrated into scenes with regular 2D animation since 3D mechas often look super janky in composite shots.

That's kind of funny too since it'd be perfectly fitting for the show for Bravern and the other alien robots to look as if they were from a completely different show.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
A ton of Macross is coming to Disney+ globally. Take three guess if you think it’s going to include SDF Macross or Do You Remember Love?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering they carved out an exception for those two in Japan specifically I'm going to say no. Harmony Gold claims a stranglehold on those two properties specifically and won't let Big West use them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Harmony Gold delenda est.

Other than their typical bullshit, that's amazing news.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I want verification that we're actually getting it in the USA. Everything I've seen says it's actually Star, which is a part of D+ for most of the world, but not USA or Latin America.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't that because of Hulu though?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Sometimes Star stuff gets on hulu, sometimes it doesn't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bravern's definitely settled on the super robot side of the equation and lost the fun mood whiplashes from early season but it still gets some bits here and there that remind us that we're working with two sets of rules (and the super robot side is fun on its own). Turns out fighting your rival in the middle of enemy territory, knowing you still have two boss-level enemies to beat, is a loving terrible idea, and even moreso is lowering your guard afterwards. Bravern getting killed like that was a moment of stupidity that got badly punished.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/180223/status/1771158248529227864?t=Af47MucAdBAjoEM9NxfylQ&s=19

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, that was fast. The series isn't even over yet (though it's also not far from it).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not that familiar with Obari generally, but I'm pretty sure Burn Bravern's design is very similar to several other Obari designs and someone here will probably be knowledgeable enough to confirm or deny that. I watched Gravion donkey's years ago, and feel like he used a similar design there, which a quick look online tells me is probably Sol Gravion from season 2. It has the same over the shoulder twin cannons, wider shoulders, bulked up calves etc. as the Burn Dragon gattai gives Bravern. I'm almost sure I've seen other designs from him that have a similar design though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
unlikely, but would anyone know where I can get one of these:

I saw it on this anime thrift shop site but someone bought it before I could, and there's not a single other one available. none on ebay either. seems it's from a line called "eye up" but I can't find one for sale anywhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdEzWpVIhc

More DIY anime OPs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

More DIY anime OPs.

I have so much love for this that I'm suddenly in an SBB Yamato movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DanLoup256/status/1775632739540086901?t=69UzzcP5Ho8AT-92NHIKfg&s=19

They're doing my job for me at this point.