Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Take two minutes to research the history of .22 rimfire and tell me what it's 'actually designed for'. It was the cutting edge of self-defense for it's time . Only reason it's dropped off is because rimfires are an outdated design - .25 acp is specifically designed to replicate the ballistics of .22lr in a more reliable rimless centerfire cartridge. The .22 was designed and marketed for self-defense, and it still is, look up .22lr pocket pistols and you'll find plenty.

Christ this argument is retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

LeeMajors posted:

The designers intent matters because it only magnifies the firearms sole purpose as an instant death machine.
Except it doesn't? You're introducing a flawed argument to get an effect that doesn't exist. I think this thread has directly demonstrated that. It in no way helps your argument. Arguing about "sole purpose" is also dumb. It's a tool, it can be applied to a lot of purposes. What's relevant is its capability as an instant death machine.

quote:

When your entertainment is a menace to society, no it is not.

Blowing poo poo up with nuclear weapons is probably spectacularly fun, but its not allowed because it's goddamned dangerous.
This is another failure of you to use words correctly. Entertainment is either a practical purpose or not. Practical purposes don't become impractical because they are dangerous, that just makes them bad. You're stepping into traps that are wholly unnecessary.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

NVM

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
So someone going after Israeli politicians with .22 LR is no longer considered attempted murder since the round is non lethal, or what?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Icept posted:

So someone going after Israeli politicians with .22 LR is no longer considered attempted murder since the round is non lethal, or what?

Lowtax gonna get a visit from the Mossad.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

When your entertainment is a menace to society, no it is not.

Blowing poo poo up with nuclear weapons is probably spectacularly fun, but its not allowed because it's goddamned dangerous.

Terrible arguments like this are part of the reason why we will never succeed in any meaningful gun control for the foreseeable future.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

Lowtax gonna get a visit from the Mossad.

Gotta admit that made me laugh out loud. Shame the same can't be said for the situation in the two countries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Icept posted:

We just wanted to disable him for an indeterminate amount of time

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
theres places in the legs that are lethal to be shot with a .22 with, and the kind of medical care required to fix an arterial tear arent generally available to these stateless prisoners

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
2 killed, 2 wounded in Jerusalem attack. Story has been updated since earlier, when it was thought only one person had died.

Here's why I'm posting it here, in the I/P+gunchat thread:

"A police spokesperson said the attacker, 19-year-old Mohand Halabi from Ramallah, first stabbed the father of the baby and took his gun, which he used to fire at group of nearby tourists until he was neutralized."

The only reason Halabi had a firearm instead of being limited to a knife was because someone else was carrying one to make themselves feel safer. Good thing that police detail was right around the corner.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's a shame that current smart gun tech is so lacking, and that research into more effective solutions is actively opposed by people on both sides of the gun control debate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

2 killed, 2 wounded in Jerusalem attack. Story has been updated since earlier, when it was thought only one person had died.

Here's why I'm posting it here, in the I/P+gunchat thread:

"A police spokesperson said the attacker, 19-year-old Mohand Halabi from Ramallah, first stabbed the father of the baby and took his gun, which he used to fire at group of nearby tourists until he was neutralized."

The only reason Halabi had a firearm instead of being limited to a knife was because someone else was carrying one to make themselves feel safer. Good thing that police detail was right around the corner.

A good case against open carry as opposed to concealed. I hope that we can agree that there's little reason for any sides in the debate to defend the right to brandish a lethal ranged weapon in public.

Volcott posted:

It's a shame that current smart gun tech is so lacking, and that research into more effective solutions is actively opposed by people on both sides of the gun control debate.

I'd argue that the NRA are most responsible for the retarding of gun safety technology and studies, but I agree that it's an avenue both sides should support. Mental health checks, tightened safety laws among minors, enforced background checks, bi-monthly manadatory safety classes, and research into new safety mechanisms is a control package that should be uncontroversial for all sides, protect gun rights, and ensure safety for the majority of the populace. This doesn't just apply to America, of course.

I/P related; are former members of the IDF allowed to keep any field equipment on discharge? That would result in a frightening number of armed citizens to not have open carry regulations, considering the mandatory draft.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neurolimal posted:

A good case against open carry as opposed to concealed. I hope that we can agree that there's little reason for any sides in the debate to defend the right to brandish a lethal ranged weapon in public.

Anything in the story to suggest that he was brandishing? I think people overstate how concealed "concealed" weapons are.

quote:

I/P related; are former members of the IDF allowed to keep any field equipment on discharge? That would result in a frightening number of armed citizens to not have open carry regulations, considering the mandatory draft.

No, you need to apply for a permit and present a reason to hold any weapon. The closest you can get to this is when you volunteer as a designated parent for a field trip, and they'll lend you out a carbine or something for the duration, if you show them your reserve duty card.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

twodot posted:

Arguing about "sole purpose" is also dumb. It's a tool, it can be applied to a lot of purposes.

How many purposes can a gun be put to, exactly? Because I can think of 3.

1. Putting bullets in things, whether that's killing people or shooting at targets
2. Displaying the capacity to put bullets in things, whether that's subduing a criminal or needing to feel safe with so many brown people around
3. Shooting into the air, as a signal

I'm not a gun enthusiast, so I'm genuinely curious what other purposes a gun can be put to, because I'm drawing a blank.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Anything in the story to suggest that he was brandishing? I think people overstate how concealed "concealed" weapons are.

I don't know about brandishing, but that is a good point. I personally believe that if a weapon is readily available to steal then it is not properly concealed, and I believe that concealed carry laws should be applied the same way. The perpetrator was able to identify that he had a gun, and was able to swiftly retrieve it to continue his spree. One or both of these should be rectified (for instance, with more secure holsters; american police holsters are designed so that it is not possible to unholster a gun from any angle but one the wearer is capable of unholstering from).

quote:

No, you need to apply for a permit and present a reason to hold any weapon. The closest you can get to this is when you volunteer as a designated parent for a field trip, and they'll lend you out a carbine or something for the duration, if you show them your reserve duty card.

Fair enough. I appreciate the response.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kajeesus posted:

1. Putting bullets in things, whether that's killing people or shooting at targets
2. Displaying the capacity to put bullets in things, whether that's subduing a criminal or needing to feel safe with so many brown people around

I'm not a gun enthusiast, so I'm genuinely curious what other purposes a gun can be put to, because I'm drawing a blank.

There aren't any others.

But they won't be dissuaded from insisting it is a potentially lethal multitool, like a screwdriver or a leatherman.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Neurolimal posted:

I'd argue that the NRA are most responsible for the retarding of gun safety technology and studies, but I agree that it's an avenue both sides should support. Mental health checks, tightened safety laws among minors, enforced background checks, bi-monthly manadatory safety classes, and research into new safety mechanisms is a control package that should be uncontroversial for all sides, protect gun rights, and ensure safety for the majority of the populace. This doesn't just apply to America, of course.

A safety course every other month seems a bit extreme. Guns aren't terribly complicated things. In Connecticut, a 16 hour course covers the following:

Responsibility and ethics of hunters
Hunting and firearms laws
Safe and skillful use of modern firearms
Nomenclature of ammunition
Introduction to safe and skillful use of muzzleloading firearms
Marksmanship and gun handling
Introduction to safe and skillful use of bowhunting equipment

Wildlife identification
Wildlife management
Care and use of harvested game
First aid and survival
Introduction to trapping
Wild turkey hunting safety
Hunting on water
Hunting with gundogs

The actual gun safety bit can be boiled down to four bullet points.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Sure, I was just thinking of how even experienced owners can have poor trigger safety, and how to deal with dangerous scenarios (like having a child around guns, importance of securing weapons, unloading before storage, etc.). So long as it was a reoccuring course I wouldn't care how often it was, so long as it stays fresh in owners' minds

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Kajeesus posted:

There's infinity purposes, though most of them might be stupid. Here's a small collection: an investment vehicle, displayed as art, displayed as having historic significance, held as having personal/family significance, a blunt object to hit things, a walking stick if sufficiently long, there's a variety of things you can put bullets in that aren't people or targets for various reasons.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kajeesus posted:

Cracking walnuts.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Xander77 posted:

Cracking walnuts.

I think you mean killing walnuts.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Xander77 posted:

Cracking walnuts.

Turning off light bulbs, like Homer Simpson.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
if you try to shoot someone with a target-shooting gun you lose your weapon proficiency bonuses and have to make an improvised weapon roll

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

In closing, please donate to my Sons of the Patriots kickstarter.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

There's infinity purposes, though most of them might be stupid. Here's a small collection: an investment vehicle, displayed as art, displayed as having historic significance, held as having personal/family significance, a blunt object to hit things, a walking stick if sufficiently long, there's a variety of things you can put bullets in that aren't people or targets for various reasons.

This response to that point is so utterly completely loving insane that I'm fighting down the urge to just scream forever

It's so divorced from actual human thought that I feel like maybe Skynet is gaslighting me

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

twodot posted:

So by your standards, literally any physical object is a tool?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kajeesus posted:

Personally I trust twodot implicitly to decide what's a tool and what isn't

cause it takes one to know one

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
So the I/P + gunchat master plan is working about as well can be expected.

Does anyone in this thread actually agree with the Israelis using a gun of any caliber for "less-lethal" purposes? Seems we think that it's a bad idea.

S-Rank: understand that Euro cops intentionally shooting fleeing suspects in the legs is also bad for the same reason.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shooting bullets at or into people for any reason is bad whatever size the bullets are. Close thread

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Kajeesus posted:

Yes. Do you have a different definition of tool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

twodot posted:

Yes. Do you have a different definition of tool?

You'd make a poo poo anthropologist.

• Locked thread