Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Chucat posted:

Can we give Athenian Democracy another try, that was pretty fun (but let women in).

With the tech we have it might actually be feasible to construct that kind of direct voting, everyone yelling at each other kind of democracy but i still wouldn't want it. I flat out don't trust the public with that kind of power. And not just to set myself up as agreeing with some of the smarter founding fathers. I've seen public stupidity. It's not that humans are individually idiotic, we're just collectively idiotic. Mobs are one of the scariest things on the planet and i certainly don't want to be ruled by the passions of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Demarchy largely fixes the problems inherent in democracy with lobbying interests etc.

Being a politician shouldn't be a career, it should be a public service. At the very least it would make sure that they all didn't attend the same school.

That of course assuming full communism isn't possible.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Effectronica posted:

The best political system depends on what you consider best. Misanthropic types, like sex tourists, will consider representative democracy the apex because it significantly impedes the populace from having political power while retaining an illusion of them having a say. Violent and vindictive people will prefer dictatorships, which institutionalize the opportunity for them to exercise their desires.

I think a misanthropic and misogynistic rich male would find "The Handmaid's Tale" to be the pinnacle of political systems actually.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 27, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chucat posted:

Can we give Athenian Democracy another try, that was pretty fun (but let women in).
Let's go with Imperial Rome except with a better way for line of succession

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
roman republic but with even more frequent and violent pleb riots

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Chucat posted:

Actually ostracism could be a great idea.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Tribal Communism is the way of the future

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

syndicalist osteogarchy

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
All things considered, the Illuminati aren't doing a bad job running the world. So, I'm gonna go with NWO. Maybe minus the depopulation program, but we're talking "best" political system so I'll accept that as a few broken eggs.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

My specific pet version of Communism and every other Communist in the thread is a Kulak saboteur and needs to be sent to labor camps.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I have formed the Peoples' Workers Marxist Party, not to be confused with the Working Peoples Marxist Party. The former is made up of ideologically impure class enemies and their leader Frank is a dickhole with stupid dreadlocks. My Communist party is the only one and true Communist party. We have a blog and a newsletter. We are the vanguard of the revolution. We are the future.

*majors in Philosophy, posts long-winded rants on Facebook about how Bernie Sanders is an evil capitalist traitor, hasn't bathed in 9 days*

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Sergg posted:

Is a Spark

Freundschaft, Genosse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ieyxOdxQU0

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Demarchy in old Venice posted:

”Thirty members of the Great Council, chosen by lot, were reduced by lot to nine; the nine chose forty and the forty were reduced by lot to twelve, who chose twenty-five. The twenty-five were reduced by lot to nine and the nine elected forty-five. Then the forty-five were once more reduced by lot to eleven, and the eleven finally chose the forty-one who actually elected the doge."

:stare:
As an uneducated pleb, this thread was the first time I've heard of Demarchy. Goddamn, Venice.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sergg posted:

I have formed the Peoples' Workers Marxist Party, not to be confused with the Working Peoples Marxist Party. The former is made up of ideologically impure class enemies and their leader Frank is a dickhole with stupid dreadlocks. My Communist party is the only one and true Communist party. We have a blog and a newsletter. We are the vanguard of the revolution. We are the future.

*majors in Philosophy, posts long-winded rants on Facebook about how Bernie Sanders is an evil capitalist traitor, hasn't bathed in 9 days*

Don't doxx me please

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

All things considered, the Illuminati aren't doing a bad job running the world. So, I'm gonna go with NWO. Maybe minus the depopulation program, but we're talking "best" political system so I'll accept that as a few broken eggs.

But what is Ophelia Google? Is it a person? A place?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Weed Dictatorship

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vagon posted:

the eleven finally chose the forty-one who actually elected the doge

Dogeocracy. Much government. Wow.

Dogs would actually be more loyal, more friendly, and no less stupid than most of the Tea Party wave, so if not best, an improvement.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the Robot Congress from buck rogers

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think a misanthropic and misogynistic rich male would find "The Handmaid's Tale" to be the pinnacle of political systems actually.

Only if they're stupid and think that people don't react to being directly oppressed. No, if you want a political system that really feeds your hatred of all your fellow man, you've got to go for one that leaves them powerless while telling them they're in charge.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Only if they're stupid and think that people don't react to being directly oppressed. No, if you want a political system that really feeds your hatred of all your fellow man, you've got to go for one that leaves them powerless while telling them they're in charge.

American democracy best democracy!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Effectronica posted:

if you want a political system that really feeds your hatred of all your fellow man, you've got to go for one that leaves them powerless while telling them they're in charge.
You're probated so it's not like you're going to be able to respond, but this assumes people actually want power. For your average citizen, representative democracy requires the least amount of involvement with government, at least compared to authoritarian governments or participatory democracy.
We live in a representative democracy where hierarchy produces unequal representation (not everyone is equal, nor created equal), and where most people don't even care to make themselves represented, so they aren't.
E: The problem is not with government, it is with people.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EvilGenius posted:

Politics has always infuriated me, as it seems to be largely based on ideology and intuition, rather than evidence. Example - in the UK, there are certain conditions you have to meet in order to claim unemployment benefit. If you fail to turn up at the job centre, or an appointed interview, you can have your payments temporarily stopped.

To those that implemented it, it prevents people from perpetually remaining on welfare, because they get punished for not finding work.

To it's opponents, it's self defeating in that taking money away makes it harder to make appointments, leads to hunger, depression, homelessness, etc.

Neither position is evidence based. But why is this, when it would be fairly easy to study whether or not benefit sanctions are working? Why does the government get to ignore any evidence contrary to their ideas? Why do they not welcome evidence and alter policy based on it?

Evidence based policy to me would seem like the adult way to go. Take Obamacare as an example of it's application. Bizarrely unpopular, but all evidence was that the US health care system was hugely unequal, and that it needed to be closer modeled on more successful implementations in other countries.

Evidence is independent of the childish political pantomime that seems to be gripping the US at the moment. It reduces the role of government to a body that carries out studies and implements change to benefit people, rather than to fit some political ideology.

good points but even poo poo like say abstinence sex education, I knew a dude that preferred it because for him lower rates of sex was preferable to lower rates of pregnancy or STIs. so many factors

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Capitalism and colonialism, for all their faults, have arguably raised the average standard of living faster than any other system to date. Australia went from stone-age to first world in the blink of an eye.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

You're probated so it's not like you're going to be able to respond, but this assumes people actually want power. For your average citizen, representative democracy requires the least amount of involvement with government, at least compared to authoritarian governments or participatory democracy.
We live in a representative democracy where hierarchy produces unequal representation (not everyone is equal, nor created equal), and where most people don't even care to make themselves represented, so they aren't.
E: The problem is not with government, it is with people.

and that's why universal skeletonization is the only way to solve all world problems

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

PlantHead posted:

I always like the idea of a national lottery, where every year x number of lucky/unlucky members of the public get to be in parliament.

"JOHN SMITH from Brighton, congratulations you are the foreign Secretary this year."

If nothing else it would be worth a good laugh and would be a gently caress load better than the system we have now.

This but with an AI assisting them in the serious nuts and bolts of policy and with the power to quietly override the lottery winners and everyone is none the wiser because they just defer to the natural flow of automation and institutional inertia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsP_LPsTxp8

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

tumblr.txt posted:

Capitalism and colonialism, for all their faults, have arguably raised the average standard of living faster than any other system to date. Australia went from stone-age to first world in the blink of an eye.

reminded me of this, except youre not joking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVTXFsHYLKA

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
While a benevolent dictatorship would be the best at achieving progress and addressing inequality the problem is, assuming you manage to get him to power and keep him from being assassinated what happens when he naturally dies? Looking back at world history very rarely was an excellent king succeeded by another great king, most of the time you got a mediocre son in power or even worse, a complete nut and then you're stuck with a murderous bastard for god know how many decades. I can't even think of any 3 consecutive great kings apart of the Five Good Emperors. The point is you can't guarantee a new benevolent dictator will always be on the line for succession and when that fails you're hosed.

So I guess we're stuck with the current oligarchies and hope they don't gently caress the rest of us to the point we're forced into another head cutting extravaganza before we come up with a Culture-like AI.

e: :laugh:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 29, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

tumblr.txt posted:

Well, the white folk who moved there were already first world. The natives advanced from Stone Age to the grave.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EvilGenius posted:

Politics has always infuriated me, as it seems to be largely based on ideology and intuition, rather than evidence. Example - in the UK, there are certain conditions you have to meet in order to claim unemployment benefit. If you fail to turn up at the job centre, or an appointed interview, you can have your payments temporarily stopped.

To those that implemented it, it prevents people from perpetually remaining on welfare, because they get punished for not finding work.

To it's opponents, it's self defeating in that taking money away makes it harder to make appointments, leads to hunger, depression, homelessness, etc.

Neither position is evidence based. But why is this, when it would be fairly easy to study whether or not benefit sanctions are working? Why does the government get to ignore any evidence contrary to their ideas? Why do they not welcome evidence and alter policy based on it?

Evidence based policy to me would seem like the adult way to go. Take Obamacare as an example of it's application. Bizarrely unpopular, but all evidence was that the US health care system was hugely unequal, and that it needed to be closer modeled on more successful implementations in other countries.

Evidence is independent of the childish political pantomime that seems to be gripping the US at the moment. It reduces the role of government to a body that carries out studies and implements change to benefit people, rather than to fit some political ideology.

I haven't been taking this thread seriously, but I do find it important to address this post. Evidence-based policymaking is actually one of the few issues that has bipartisan support in the United States. Everyone from the Heritage Foundation to President Obama agree that more needs to be done to evaluate the effectiveness of government programs. Its really a win-win for Democrats and Republicans. For Democrats, evidence-based policymaking promises to give them hard numbers which they can use to promote reforms to existing social welfare programs. For Republicans, evidence-based policymaking allows them to more accurately target their government cuts.

While in theory, everyone can support these measures, practically it tends to be a little more complicated. Data and research agencies tend to get tarred by their subject matter, turning what are intended to be non-partisan institutions into partisan issues, especially for the Republican Party. This fact is most evident in climate research and gun crime. For the Republican Party's base, it is difficult to distinguish between legislation that sets out funds to evaluate extreme weather events and legislation that commits the United States to combating climate change. They see a few buzzwords, believe that their lawmakers are conceding to the Democratic Party, and have a conniption. This reaction, in turn, discourages Congressional members from supporting policy research, which can be construed as them not being "conservative enough."

The House recently passed H.R. 1831, The Evidence-Based Policymaking Commission Act, which forms a 15-member commission to "study how to integrate this data and use it to perform evaluations that could help policymakers improve programs" but, assuming the Senate passes the bill, it is difficult to imagine this board affecting the situation. Any recommendation would almost certainly entail specialization, which in turn primes voters. Short of hiding research-based policymaking inside of a larger appropriations bill, an act which is already being used to defund these institutions, I don't know how you can resolve the problem in today's Congress.

As for the proposals in the thread, they are, almost without exception, totally divorced from reality. I can't tell which people are making serious proposals, which people are disguising their serious proposals as ironic jokes, and which people are just joking. Regardless, there seems to be an unstated assumption that there is a universal "best political system." I don't think that has been established. The "best political system" is going to depend on the social, geographic, and economic circumstances of whatever group is being governed.

The "best political system" will also depend on whatever qualities are being prioritized, which no one has said outright yet. Should a government represent the views of the public, refine them, or ignore them? Are we putting value on responsiveness and undiluted policy or stability and compromise? Is government even the political endgame for the purposes of discussion, or will states, as we know them, cease to exist in the next fifty years? The question needs to be better defined before it can be answered.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Thump! posted:

Well, the white folk who moved there were already first world. The natives advanced from Stone Age to the grave.

There are about 700,000 of them. twice as many as pre-settlement.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Thump! posted:

Little known fact: Aboriginal Tasmanians were subject to one of the worlds first full blown genocides, to the point where there are no living identifiable individuals descending solely from that population - anyone who can trace themselves back usually does so to women abducted.

Yet more pointless death created by capitalism. Thankfully, the irrefutable science of marxism-leninism can save everyone.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 29, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Little known fact: Aboriginal Tasmanians were subject to one of the worlds first full blown genocides, to the point where there are no living identifiable individuals descending solely from that population - anyone who can trace themselves back usually does so to women abducted.

Yet more pointless death created by capitalism. Thankfully, the irrefutable science of marxism-leninism can save everyone.

I couldnt agree more.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To answer your question, OP, the best political system is in fact ascetic monasticism, I hope my answer helps you in your further ponderings of the problem, goodbye.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

I can't tell which people are making serious proposals, which people are disguising their serious proposals as ironic jokes, and which people are just joking. Regardless...

will states, as we know them, cease to exist in the next fifty years?

:ironicat:

I generally totally get and agree with what you are saying, but that came out of left field.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Distributivist Liberation Theocracy.

hth, close thread.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

rudatron posted:

Thankfully, the irrefutable science of marxism-leninism power of jesus can save everyone.
E:

Trent posted:

I generally totally get and agree with what you are saying, but that came out of left field.
Maybe not states, but maybe branches of government. If you could actually empirically test for the best policy implementations is it necessary for every Representative and Senator to vote on pieces of legislation? Especially when ACA and Dodd-Frank contained many provisions that were tailored to specialists and not your average Congressman.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 30, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you have a car that runs on human blood, is it moral to want it to drive well?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Socialism (anything to do with it)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Maybe not states, but maybe branches of government. If you could actually empirically test for the best policy implementations is it necessary for every Representative and Senator to vote on pieces of legislation? Especially when ACA and Dodd-Frank contained many provisions that were tailored to specialists and not your average Congressman.

well under a best government there wont be people so no it's not necessary for anyone to be involved, any decisions made, or any policies implemented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Bro Dad posted:

Socialism (anything to do with it)

National Socialism too, eh?....*rubs hands*

• Locked thread