Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This game also papered over the fact that you killed Big Boss in both of the MSX Metal Gears, since Snake apparently killed Silver FOX in Outer Heaven, and the real Big Boss during the Zanzibarland incident. I like that a lot!

It doesn't really explain how Big Boss was first your CO and then betrayed you. But I'm glad they did something.

The fact that you're not actually Big Boss also explains why Liquid Snake wasn't genetically identical to you.

This game was a wild ride, and you've done a great job.

Edited for dickishness.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LashLightning posted:

The story of Metal Gear, it seems to me, is a series of people's overly convoluted plans never working out for them how they want them to - including, somehow, Kojima's own plans to make the Metal Gear series. I assume this proposed zombie game will follow through on this meta-hypothesis.

Anyway, great LP! Congratulations for pushing on through the usual LP Curse that most LPers face.

drat, that is a pretty funny way to think about how the story for this game went. And thanks! When my PSU died I thought it was over, cause my last pc I had this history of problems with it. See my posts in the Planetside 2 thread where I had to put the game at a 10% render quality to play, still don't know what was up with that.

Aeromancia posted:

Thank you playing through that crazy ride Leal! It has been nice to watch you improve and become more confident as the LP continued. I can't wait to see the next videos from you!

As a fellow retail slave, I know your pain. In my pharmacy we have to do yearly training to remind us that we should not attack our customers or harass them. And that stealing is bad, and will cause fines.

Thanks, really it was a learning experience for me. Besides the whole "don't do blind lps no seriously" thing, I learned a bit on video editing. Hell I learned a bit about audio editing too, I learned the silence button in audacity. Before I would spam noise reduction!

Also in retail I love that upper brass all thinks that the number 1 cause of shrink is employee theft :jerkbag:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This game also papered over the fact that you killed Big Boss in both of the MSX Metal Gears, since Snake apparently killed Silver FOX in Outer Heaven, and the real Big Boss during the Zanzibarland incident. I like that a lot!

It doesn't really explain how Big Boss was first your CO and then betrayed you. But I'm glad they did something.

The fact that you're not actually Big Boss also explains why Liquid Snake wasn't genetically identical to you.

This game was a wild ride, and you've done a great job.

Edited for dickishness.

Yeah that was some forshadowing, but I felt like they didn't do enough of it. There is a theme of seeing phantoms but its hardly expanded upon, yeah sure there was the Paz thing except I'm sure it is completely optional and you can easily miss it if you don't explore mother base much. I think the open world nature of the game kinda ruined what story Kojima may of wanted to make, a game where you're playing a mentally deranged man who sees poo poo and even imagines entire events happening.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I really agree. A game about a man who thinks he's Big Boss is great, but it wasn't carried by the Peace Walker formula.

On the other hand, having a true open world Metal Gear game would have been rad. If you didn't fly back to Mother Base every time you finished a thing, but maybe drove back to a local base to regroup, that would be cool. Hell, even the dumb FOB thing would work with that. Maybe if Konami hadn't fired their creative director halfway through production...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I was thrown by this, I think because they immediately followed "Eli's DNA doesn't match" with a tape saying "well, somebody could have switched the vials or some other shenanigans." Knowing Kojima, I bet Ocelot made that tape specifically to mislead the player.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Bruceski posted:

Knowing Kojima, I bet Ocelot made that tape specifically to mislead the player.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
So Kojima really wanted to pull the classic "you're not playing as Snake" trick again

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Are you telling me that a guy who is best known for being as reliable as a jelly girder, somehow tricked us? For shame.

Adamska just isn't comfortable unless he's fooling someone, and this time he was both helping Big Boss and getting to torture people. This may have been his favorite year.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Are you telling me that a guy who is best known for being as reliable as a jelly girder, somehow tricked us? For shame.

Adamska just isn't comfortable unless he's fooling someone, and this time he was both helping Big Boss and getting to torture people. This may have been his favorite year.

And he got to be voiced by Troy Baker! He's having the time of his life!

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Every time I hear the words "nanites" or "archaea" I release the safety catch on my gun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you were wondering about what happened to Eli, Mantis, the metal gear, and the last set of english parasites, there was a set of mission dropped during development that wrapped that plot line up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4JIHh5Jqk

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cangelosi posted:

Every time I hear the words "nanites" or "archaea" I release the safety catch on my gun.

Your gun has 18000 safety catches?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sindai posted:

If you were wondering about what happened to Eli, Mantis, the metal gear, and the last set of english parasites, there was a set of mission dropped during development that wrapped that plot line up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4JIHh5Jqk

Seems like it'd be fun to play.

And we know what happens to Eli, doggs. In 1990, he joins the SAS, as the youngest recruit to date. He does a lot of covert sleeper agent-type stuff in the Middle East during the Gulf War. In 2000, he is recruited by the newly reinstated FOXHOUND unit, and you know the rest.

I like that Eli even this early is obsessed about his inferior genes. Knowing that you're one of the first successful human clones must do that do a guy. It also takes about twenty years for him to go from "I am a copy of you" to "We are not copies of our father, after all!".

E: Hey Leal, I found a new restaurant in my town called Diné Burgers. As the Burger Gear guy, I thought you might want to know.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 25, 2017

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Wheany posted:

Your gun has 18000 safety catches?

The nanites ARE my safety catches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Cangelosi posted:

The nanites ARE my safety catches.

How's that working out for you?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread