Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
We all love cooking here and obviously all love videogames too (cause goons lol)

What are some games that combine our two passions that you enjoy?

I really like Star Ocean 2, EVERQUEST, and the entire The Sims series but I'm sure there are more out there, get posting goons!

OP Note : Usually id assume it doesnt even need to be said, but there has been a lot of Tom(Brady)foolery going on in these forums as of late. Please do not troll this thread with 'casual' games like Cooking Mama, this is for serious video game and cooking discussion. Thank you

EDIT: Cooking Mamá discussion is fine

Nooner fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
There was a nice cooking aspect to Tales of Symphonia. You had to find the hidden chef dude and he'd teach you all sorts of neat foods to give your party stat boosts. Some of it looked really delicious too.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
You can grill up bratwursts on the George Foreman and play Madden NFL 16 with your buds on nights that don't have a real game on! Toss some saurkraut into a crockpot for some nice topping, and pick up some brown mustard to really lay down the flavor.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Fallout 3/NV had a pretty good system, maybe the whole fallout series I dunno never played the others. The irradiation really gives the food that "latin" kick.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Fallout 3/NV had a pretty good system, maybe the whole fallout series I dunno never played the others. The irradiation really gives the food that "latin" kick.

oh shoot I cant beleive I left this one out I love the fallout series and the cooking was definietly a cool feature!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
You can play Cooking Mama. If you prefer the "latin" kick, play Cooking Mamá.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

contrapants posted:

You can play Cooking Mama. If you prefer the "latin" kick, play Cooking Mamá.
Reported. Please read the thread rules in the future, they are clearly stated in the OP

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Nooner posted:

Reported. Please read the thread rules in the future, they are clearly stated in the OP

In Cooking Mamá, Mamá has a jealous boyfriend that will beat the poo poo out of you spend too much time with her. It's a very difficult and serious FPS segment that I think elevates the game about casual, especially during the taco souffle baking stage where you're pretty much guaranteed to fight him but must be as quiet as possible so the souffle does not deflate.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

contrapants posted:

In Cooking Mamá, Mamá has a jealous boyfriend that will beat the poo poo out of you spend too much time with her. It's a very difficult and serious FPS segment that I think elevates the game about casual, especially during the taco souffle baking stage where you're pretty much guaranteed to fight him but must be as quiet as possible so the souffle does not deflate.

whoa, okay this actually sounds pretty sweet, I'll adjust the OP accordingly

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Cook, Serve, Delicious!

Seriously, it's the best cooking game end of story.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

There's a cooking mini game in Dragon's Crown. It's pretty fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86YRLGMkFVw

And the original fallout manual had a couple recipes in the back. 3rd page from the end!

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/38400/manuals/Fallout_manual_English.pdf

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There is nothing "casual" about Cooking Mama, breaking those eggs was a skill honed through hours of tears.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
A couple years back, someone on the LP subforum did an LP of Cooking Mama. Each video he would play through a recipe in the game while pointing out its inaccuracies, and then go live action and cook the food for real.
It was a pretty cool idea, check it out!

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Spec Ops: The Line gives you a great lesson in roasting meat on an open fire and the results of overcooking

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I would actually love some suggestions of strategy, turn based, puzzle, or other slow / self-paced games that I could be actively thinking or playing while cooking.

Currently in a 2 bedroom-apt, so my PC is in the same room as my kitchen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
roguelikes, XCOM, civ, FTL (you constantly are pausing anyway in combat), king of dragon pass...

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've been playing Stardew Valley lately and that game is fun as hell and also extremely chill. You can pause at any time, no real combat. If you liked Harvest Moon you will like this game.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I maxed-out Chef in Final Fantasy XIV a while back and made a ton of gil on the markets. You can harvest/hunt for ingredients and the game lets you craft your own tools and uniforms. If you have a lot going on in your house, it's a good game because interruptions won't really affect you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

William Stoner posted:

I would actually love some suggestions of strategy, turn based, puzzle, or other slow / self-paced games that I could be actively thinking or playing while cooking.

Currently in a 2 bedroom-apt, so my PC is in the same room as my kitchen.

I used to play a lot of roguelikes (Nethack in particular) while I cooked.

I also used to burn a lot of food... I don't play games while I cook any more.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Teeter posted:

Cook, Serve, Delicious!

Seriously, it's the best cooking game end of story.

Yep. This. It's better on iOS with touch screen controls but it's still good on PC/Steam.

Overcooked is a fun time management cooking game too, solid multiplayer couch game. It's pretty loving hard to 3 star levels though.

Dwarf Fortress?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I just play dota 2 and pause every time I have to check the pot or stir something, works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bro.

Bro.

Suikoden 2, bro.

It has a cooking contest and your chef gets challenges by a secret society of like ninja chefs.

• Locked thread