Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Yeah squash based soup is easy and cheap and can taste a bunch of different ways - I basically live on it all winter. Kabocha baked then simmered in coconut milk with some cardamom and ginger is a favorite of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Force de Fappe posted:

More than a gallon at least. I wish I had a couple of those bigass Korean earthenware jars. Between the two of us we make it through before it gets too rancid, then I make another batch.

I've been interested in making some myself but haven't settled on an amount yet.. I've seen some cases where they just use a casserole sized Tupperware container.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't have a specific recipe in front of me but it's definitely now slow cooker season in my house, and that excites me more than it should. I remember seeing pulled pork somewhere the other day and good God drat it looked good, maybe I will start with that. Hit me with your best pulled pork recipes goons!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone have a favorite beer for mulling?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
i used to like an Irish red like murphys or beamish until heineken took them away from us :argh:
Dunno, any breweries over there do an irish red style?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yes. But rooting through American breweries to find the handful that don't hop the style to uselessness makes it easier to ask.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

C-Euro posted:

I don't have a specific recipe in front of me but it's definitely now slow cooker season in my house, and that excites me more than it should. I remember seeing pulled pork somewhere the other day and good God drat it looked good, maybe I will start with that. Hit me with your best pulled pork recipes goons!

It's not crockpot-based but I rub a boston butt with spicy mustard and Tony's seasoning. Then I applewood smoke it for an hour per pound (mind the stall). In the meantime make a Carolina Mustard (mustard, cider vinegar, brown sugar, butter, salt, black pepper, worcestershire, some crystal's hot sauce). Shred the final product, serve on a bun with carolina sauce, pickles and diced onion.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you toss the shredded pork with the sauce in a saute pan for a moment or two it ends up being way better than just putting the sauce on the bun, imo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Moridin920 posted:

If you toss the shredded pork with the sauce in a saute pan for a moment or two it ends up being way better than just putting the sauce on the bun, imo.

That, my friend, is a pro-fuckin-tip.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Butch Cassidy posted:

Yes. But rooting through American breweries to find the handful that don't hop the style to uselessness makes it easier to ask.

If you get Karben 4 beers in your area, you could try Lady Luck.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I really want to try making a pumpkin pie from scratch. Thinking I'll probably make Alton Brown's recipe, with the gingersnap pie crust. It just sounds so tasty... :3:

Then for Thanksgiving I'll probably make my scalloped sweet potatoes (with gruyere and parmesan, and it's super dense and yummy and awesome) and cranberry sauce. I started making it when a couple years ago, my family was like "we're just going to use the canned stuff. Why bother with actual cranberries?" Seriously, gently caress that. (I like to add some diced candied ginger.)

Edit: Gjetost! That's the other cheese in the sweet potato dish! I'd nearly forgotten, but remembers when I saw a mention of it in another thread.

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 11, 2015

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Apple stuffed cinnamon buns.

Make a regular cinnamon bun dough (milk, yeast, butter, brown sugar, flour) and then simmer a bunch of apples in cinnamon, vanilla, butter, and brown sugar until soft. Add a few more apples to the mix right before spreading it on the dough to give some texture, bake until golden brown.

Also, save the liquid from simmering the apples, add powdered sugar and milk and a little more seasoning to make a caramel type glaze to drizzle on top

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
25% hazelnuts, 75% chestnuts, some oak or chestnut or walnut chips, all in the oven, cook until roasted

Remove nuts from shell, discard wood chips, make stock of nut shells in the pressure cooker

Cook nuts in stock with a bay leaf until very soft, then process with immersion blender

Stir in a little bit of cream

soooooop

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Borscht. Fall means I get to bring out the giant stock pot and cook gallons of borscht. I usually make it in October, but this summer was a misery of sun and heat, so I cooked it all up a couple of weeks ago. Warning: do not attempt unless you have a stock pot or other similarly giant vessel.

My borscht recipe isn't from my sweet ukranian grandmother, or from a much-loved cookbook from the old country. As far as I know, I'm about as russian /ukranian as Mickey Mouse. I got my base recipe from a Williams-Sonoma soup cookbook, of all places. Don't laugh 'till you've tried it! W-S definitely hawks some overpriced poo poo, but their cookbooks are incredible - all glossy pictures and honest recipes. This is seriously the best borscht I've had. I've only made a few changes from the initial W-S one. I've been making this yearly for, well, years now, and to me these flavors basically mean FALL IS HERE YAY. I do a rough chop on all the veggies because it is a lot of vegetable matter and I am also lazy which is why I am cooking soup in the first place.

Recipe makes like twelve thousand servings. W-S cookbook claims that it makes 8 servings. I do not know who they are feeding. By their measure, a "serving" would be enough to fill a bathtub.

4-5 very large beets (trim, wrap in foil, roast for about an hour, then cool and peel and chop.)
1 head green cabbage (shredded)
Some leeks or onions or whatever (chopped)
Carrots (chopped)

3lbs lean steak (I used ground beef one year and had to dump the entire pot. Lean steak, good quality. Cut into tiny pieces.)

Canned tomatoes (with liquid of course)
Some tomato paste

Brown sugar (I use about 1/8 cup of brown sugar in the whole thing, but it's to taste really)
Red wine vinegar (I end up using about 4 tbsp, maybe more)
Dill
S + P
Olive oil
Water (8-12 cups or to cover or whatever)

Sour cream for serving (if you want)

Many borscht recipes call for stock. I respectfully but firmly disagree - the beauty of this soup is the sweet roasted beets. That gets lost in a strong chicken or beef flavor. Many recipes also call for potatoes. I don't use 'em because (a) I don't want the extra calories, and (b) I really don't see the point. I'm not a babushka trying to extend the shelf life of our last remaining potatoes in a root cellar.

Brown the steak, remove it, toss in the veg (minus the cabbage and beets), cook that for a bit, then throw everything together. I add everything up front and let it all cook together. This leeches some of the color out of the beets, but it combines the flavors in such a wonderful way. The whole thing wants to cook slowly for hours. The longer it sits the happier you'll be. I like to have borscht on hand in the freezer, just hanging out and getting tastier for weeks.

The entire thing has a hefty prep time with all the chopping and shredding, but it makes food for nearly a month. Best part is, without stock and potatoes, the worst thing in the entire pot is the 1/8c brown sugar spread out over tens of bowls. Without the sour cream, a cup of this soup is about 61 calories.

Does anyone have any ideas for jazzing up (that's an apple pun, see) applesauce? I make applesauce every fall and while I love it and could literally eat it every day, my stupid friends incorrectly want to try something else. Yeah I could make a totally different apple dish but gently caress those ungrateful whiners :mad:. I LIKE applesauce.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I -love- this sweet potato-carrot-ginger soup.

http://themerlinmenu.blogspot.com/2009/10/sweet-potato-carrot-soup.html

Easy enough to make in a normal pot or slow cooker, I presume, and also good if you use water instead of broth to make it vegan-friendly. I just made a batch without the onion and it still stood up well, added some coconut milk at the end for kicks. Great any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Bacon jam, bitches.

I make that and if the Mr gets a deer this season, I'll be cooking the living poo poo out of some sweet sweet venison.

• Locked thread