Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
If you're anything like me (a goon) you've probably come across a lot of recipes over the years. More than you'll ever be able to cook. How do you keep track of them all?

I normally find recipes online and save the ones that I want to try out. The recipes that I've saved are spread across my bookmarks, Pinterest and favorites on Allrecipes.com. Of these, I've found Pinterest to be the most useful. You can set up boards for different types of recipes, save recipes from any site and each saved recipe gets a picture and description.

What do you use? There's no reason to restrict this to online recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Whenever I create a recipe that is worth saving, I write it down in a little book I have. Usually my notes are somewhat garbled, since they're mainly addressed to myself. Often I start a recipe with a blank piece of paper, and plan out what I want in it - if it turns out great then I will transfer it at some point in time to the little book.

I don't much save internet recipes - mostly because I am constantly thinking that "well - I can always find them again".

Other than that - cook-books.

It is my definite goal to have a book full of unique recipes that my family will fight over getting when I am dead.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I haven't decided whether I like it enough to stick with it forever, but I started using the Paprika app a few months ago and so far I like it a lot. Internet recipes get entered, mostly automatically parsed, and then I can plan out what I'm making for the week and export the ingredients list for each to a shopping list that I can then shop off of. Other than that, yeah, cookbooks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Paprika. We use it at work too, there's an iPad bolted to the wall by the prep board, and you can look everything up. It's really nice. Definitely worth the 5bux or whatever it was.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Evernote. Only problem with it is that it limits you to uploading 50mb a month.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I have the traditional 'little wooden box' filled with recipes from my boyfriend's family. I don't often use internet-found recipes, and anything I find in a book (usually cookie recipes) I test out, then handwrite into my own recipe book in the kitchen.

I'm hoping to be the cool auntie and pass down my book to my niece when she's old enough to start cooking/baking.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I use Evernote to clip webpages. I have a text file that I don't save in Sublime Text (so it's just perpetually open and there, even through restarts etc) where I mess around with my planning of when I should try what so I try new things at a reasonable pace where it matches the seasonable produce I get through my CSA. The stuff I like, I write up in a 'book' in Scrivener (I got it when it was $15) where I keep a log of notes and changes each time I make it. I think I have two recipes in there at a 'completed' stage where I'm happy with the way it is, but overall everything in there is pretty drat tasty.

I have to admit that sometimes I fall into a lull where I'm just constantly trying new recipes, and then I go back to my recipe book and it's like finding an old friend.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use Pepperplate for the stuff other people use Paprika for, but it's free, so that's something. It works well enough. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't do pantry tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
when I build a recipe, I write it down on a dry erase board, and then snap a photo of it. I don't really 'use' picasa to organize photos, but I'll dump my phone's picture folder onto my desktop and tag the whiteboard photos from time to time.

using evernote would probably be easier if I had a ton, but I only have a handful of recipes saved so it's not a big deal to be disorganized a lil.

• Locked thread