Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dotchan posted:

Delita, on the other hand, proves to be extremely trigger happy, inflicting friendly fire on Galuf to end the battle faster. (This even procs Stop!)

Well, sacrificing others for his own goals is entirely in-character for Delita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I'm streaming some more gameplay over at http://www.twitch.tv/dotwarner17

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Update 09

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Update Thirteen: Goland Coal City to Roof of Riovanes Castle

Goland Coal City - Olan pretty much kept the enemy on lock down, which meant I was free to whittle their numbers away bit by bit.

Highlight(s):

Olan's first move is to read from his book.

Galuf was really popular with the ladies in this battle: one of the Thieves spawn with best compatibility and another with good compatibility (the third Thief gets dropped before I check her compatibility with Galuf). Both of them Charm him on their turns, but as soon as he's stabbed back to his senses he returns the favor.

I think having Charmed enemies on the field causes the AI algorithms to freeze up a bit: for the next two turns that he is still alive (Olan is eventually able to stick Galaxy Stop on him and then one of the Charmed Chemists takes him out), the enemy Mediator takes over fifteen seconds of walking in place before taking an otherwise straightforward action (stabbing Olan); and here is the highlight for one of those turns (the reason I suspect Charm to be the AI-breaker is that one of the love-struck Wizards similarly was seized with indecision in the Zaland Fort City battle).

Galuf yoinks sell fodder from the best compatibility Thief while she's under the effects of Galaxy Stop.

As I mentioned before, all weapon attacks can be charged, which leads to hilarity such as Olan reading from his book with such intensity that it hurts more.

Butz jukes an attack.

As does one of the enemy Thieves.

Only one of the enemies crystallize before the battle ends, and I eventually elect to restore HP/MP instead as I can only use one of the skills listed.

Lesalia Imperial Capital - For any run with Priests, winning this battle is a simple matter of stalling long enough to apply Holy directly to Zalmo's forehead, multiple times if necessary.

Highlight(s):

One of the Monks spawn with Elemental, making her a fairly annoying enemy to deal with.

Alma tries to take matters into her own hands and gets killed as a result (alas, in my runs she is not allowed to be Beoulve as gently caress).

Butz wiffs on an attack.

I make the roll for Job #4 before I do the Underground Library gauntlet so I have it unlocked before I go there, but it turns out I didn't need to, because...

:getin:

As mentioned when vilkacis rolled Wizard as his first Job, this is the archetypical fragile caster class. In addition to being early game ranged damage that can potentiall hit for bigger numbers than most other Jobs, Wizards synergize with a surprising number of non-caster Jobs.

Detailed Wizard Breakdown:
Ability: Black Magic. Pretty much all of the damaging spells are in the Wizard's spell list, making Wizards the go-to Job in "Defeat All Enemy" battles. Oh, and you can also turn enemies into Frogs and poison them, because why not? Flare is not as useful as Holy as The Spell of Ultimate Power, though, since Zodiac bosses are weaker to Holy.
Reaction: Counter Magic, which gives the party member equipped with it a Brave % chance of casting all magic spells targetted directly on them back at the caster, so long as the party member has ability and the MP to do so. And by "all", the game means it--unique enemy spells, buffs and heals cast by allied teammates, and possibly even Summons can be countered; I will be testing all of this as soon as I have the JP to learn it.
Support: Magic Attack Up, exactly what it says on the tin. Boosts all formulas based on MA. In this run's case, it's going to make Steal Heart even better.
Movement: None.

I buy Chameleon robes for the party--only Thieves can't wear them--and head into the Underground Library.

Underground Library 2F - I still use Charm to keep the enemy off my back, but now with the additional firepower at my disposal battles are going to go a lot faster. Despite my inordinate fondness for setting things on fire, I prefer the animation for Bolt instead and spam that wherever possible.

Underground Library 3F - I suppose I could've dragged out the battle longer, but why bother when I have Holy at my fingertips?

Underground Library 1F - I honestly thought I was going to wipe here, but once again I lasted long enough to apply the I Win button.

Highlight(s):

I was tempted to cheese this battle by benching Galuf, but decided that doing so would've been against the spirit of the run. Galuf pays for his life as a result.

Grog Hill - On the first run I spread myself too thin and wipe to what otherwise should've been an easy (though annoying) group of enemies. On my second run I play much more conservatively and manage the win.

Failed Run Highlight(s):

One of the Squires spawn with Accumulate.

Butz dodges death.

I managed to have one of the Chemists feed Butz a High Potion when he needed it.

Successful Run Highlight(s):

One of the Chemists spawn with Rubber Boots. Too bad I already have all of the other types of magic.

Black Hood doesn't have any special abilities, so it'll end up as sell fodder eventually.

Since I didn't have enough JP to learn Counter Magic and I didn't want to grind, I head into Yardow Fort City with Magic Defense Up as my support ability.

Yardow Fort City - Magic Defense Up blunts the threat of the Summoners, and Charm keeps the Ninjas at bay until I can kill them all. Rafa ends up being useless, but better that than dead.

Highlight(s):

The incantation for Ramuh.

One of the Summoners gets lucky twice in a row, first dodging a Bolt, then Butz's attack. (Faris lands a critical hit on her to end the battle.)

As always, Rafa is switched to being a Gun-wielding Chemist for the next two battles so that she's not completely useless.

Yuguo Woods - Since Undead have a particular weakness to Fire, everything burns to a lovely crisp.

Highlight(s):

Cara dodges Sleep Touch.

One of the enemy mages had Haste 2 in her spell list, so I make sure to take advantage of that.

Proof that the AI is a lot smarter than most people give it credit for: Rafa uses Phoenix Down on an Undead enemy to kill it before its spell goes off.

I check that I have all of the right equipment before heading into the Riovanes Castle battle gauntlet.

Outside of Riovanes Castle (total tries: 3) - I fail my first attempt due to a combination of bad luck and bad tactics. I switch to having Steal on secondary for all of my casters and have a female party member accompany Butz on Squad on the two subsequent attempts and both succeed; however, only the last success counts towards the run.

Failed Run Highlight(s):

Cara dies to a critical hit from the Knight she failed to Charm. Reina revives her, but the Knights hit too hard and she goes down again, and the same thing happens when Butz raises her from the dead.

In this and all subsequent battles, Malak is first to flee because the Archers all target the squishy casters rather than Rafa, and in the battles where she got to take a turn she always elected to shoot Malak rather than heal the party.

Butz becomes the next casualty because I don't have Arrow Guard and the Archers are a definite menace. He eventually gets brought back to life, but dies again because I chose to have him sandbag for Cara instead of healing himself.

Reina drops because trying to revive Cara put her in a precarious position, and Faris' attempt to revive her fails.

Galuf might have had a chance to live if he'd successfully Charmed an Archer, but alas, he didn't, and gets swarmed.

As the last (wo)man standing, Faris gets overwhelmed because all the damage flies her way and there's nothing else I can do.

First Successul Run Highlight(s):

Galuf takes a critical hit that also knocks him back.

The Float Boots Knight spawns with Elemental in his secondary.

One of the other Knights blocks a spell with his shield.

Final Run Highlight(s):

Reina gets a critical + knockback arrow to the face.

For whatever reason, these two Knights elected to use Speed Break on each of their first turns while Charmed.

One of the Archers spawns with an N-Kai Armlet, the accessory that blocks Charm. :argh:

Even though I successfully turn all of the other enemies against each other, they don't always manage to do damage.

I'd completely forgotten that Butz learned Frog prior to this battle, and so only try it on the last surviving Knight.

Butz (in Priest) is equipped with the usual loadout (Chameleon Robe + Float Boots), Regenerator, MagDefUp (eventually switched to MagAttackUp), and Move +2.

Inside of Riovanes Castle (Velius Battle) and Rooftop of Riovanes Castle (Wiegraf Duel - 3 tries, Velius Battle - 3 tries, Rooftop Battle, 1 try) - I make it through the duel without issue on all three tries, but in the first failure, I do not act decisively enough before Velius and his Archdemons move in to wipe the party, and in the second, I made the mistake of having the second squad in a position where Velius simply swooped in and confused them all, causing me to waste turns bringing them back to their senses, and I wiped again before I was able to finish Velius off. I restarted at an earlier save point to grind some levels and was able to master Priest for Reina and unlock Magic Attack Up on everyone except Galuf. On the successful run, I was able to take no damage in the duel. Next, in the battle against Velius, I positioned the second squad in such a way that Velius would've either used a melee attack or a Summon (he chose to punch Galuf); Faris revived him and everyone else threw everything they had at Velius, which was enough to end the battle once all the spells resolved. Finally, in the Rooftop battle, the enemy AI was surprisingly merciful--Celia and Lede elected to go for the squad rather than Rafa, making it possible for me to cast Holy and end the battle.

Highlight(s):

In the successful duel against Wiegraf, Butz dodges the initial volley and then stays safely out of attacking range for the remainder of the battle. :smug:

Squad placement seems to influence Velius' behavior: in the first (failed) battle, Velius moves forward to punch Reina.

In the second run (also failed), he casts Loss on the Squad who I had stupidly placed into a convenient cross-shaped formation, confusing everyone except Galuf

In the third (successful) go-round, I spread everyone as far apart as I can manage and Velius punches Galuf.

Comparison screenshots between regular Holy (in the first, failed run) and MagAttackUp-Boosted Holy (in the final, successful run). This extra damage is what pushes me over the top to victory.

Celia and Lede completely ignore Rafa for whatever reason, even though she tried (and failed) to poke Lede with a stick.

Next time: A musical episode set to Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" I roll my way through Chapter Four.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Nice job on Weigraf. No matter how many times I've beaten the game, and no matter how many challenge runs I've completed, I always go into that battle expecting to get my rear end beat.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Once again live at http://www.twitch.tv/dotwarner17

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

And this time, I made sure to be actually streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

End of the Line (Sort of)

I've been having doubts about being able to go on for some time now, so I may as well make the decision now: I will not be posting any more updates to the thread.

However, the 5JF will continue. Gameplay has been recorded up to the end of regular Chapter Four gameplay and uploaded to my Youtube channel (the playlist is here) and I will be streaming whenever I have the mental energy to do so (which is admittedly not often, but it will happen eventually).

It sucks that I have to give up on such a fun project at a place where I don't feel it's finished, but hopefully someday I'll be able to return to it and give it justice.

• Locked thread