Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Hughlander posted:

I think we found the right cadence to stand up recently. We have a physical agile board and someone points at the cards. "What's up with this?" "Ok this one?" When we've gone through the in progress or in test cards it's "Anything else not card related?" "Ok we done"

Since frequently 2-3 people are on a card most people never even have to speak up.

This is more or less us, but we have tons of 4-6 member teams, so we generally only have 2 - 4 cards in play at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I don't know if i've just been lucky but i've never had a standup last long than 15 minutes tops. All the monster meetings I get involved in have been reporting upwards to management

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Gibfender posted:

I don't know if i've just been lucky but i've never had a standup last long than 15 minutes tops. All the monster meetings I get involved in have been reporting upwards to management

those are the same meetings they're talking about. the issue is that at some point management seems to just love invading and subverting stand ups.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Ah gotcha. At my place we're pretty religious about keeping standups with literally just the team. Then as Product Manager I'm happy to have all the bullshit status update meetings with management so long as it means that my devs can keep focused on development

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Gibfender posted:

Ah gotcha. At my place we're pretty religious about keeping standups with literally just the team. Then as Product Manager I'm happy to have all the bullshit status update meetings with management so long as it means that my devs can keep focused on development

you're doing gods' work

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I saw a company where the standup had slowly devolved over a several year period to the point where it was an hour long and everyone stood up the entire time.

Sounds like it ties into the company health plan

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
At my company standups are timeboxed to 15 mins and the scrum leader will tell people to take discussions offline and everything is all well and good. I think the daily standup is quite useful.

No, what I hate is sprint planning. Why does it take 6+ hours every two weeks to estimate all these tickets? And most of them don't have anything to do with me so I end up so so bored. Then just when my attention slips someone asks me how long I think it'll take to do XYZ and when I hesitate I look like a moron.

As for the kanban board thingies, I like those so :shrug:

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Xibanya posted:

No, what I hate is sprint planning

We have a problem where our Agile coach gets us to estimate an entire project up front. I guess a whole week of estimation is better than every two weeks? (it's not)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
We've stopped doing whole project estimations because kicking off a project used to take 2-3 weeks. We've tried to nail it down to a completely dedicated one week treatment where no dev work is done or a 2-3 hour sprint where only relevant project work is estimated.

At this point though I'm more of the opinion that most stories more or less are the same size. If you find a large one after discussions, breaking that down is what takes the bulk of any planning meetings. Everything else is just wasteful.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
at my job 4+ hour meetings are common, to the point where i started having them catered and charged the department who called the meeting, this is now standard practice for anything 3 hours or longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

at my job 4+ hour meetings are common, to the point where i started having them catered and charged the department who called the meeting, this is now standard practice for anything 3 hours or longer

that's awesome

he catering, not the meetings

• Locked thread