Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011
Hello everyone! I was recently lucky enough to pick up a dirt-cheap auction block which contained 4 64GB iPhone 4S phones that each included their own ALM mCam adapters, complete with 37mm lens kits. While I'm having a blast experimenting with all of this equipment, one quibble I noticed with the included wide-angle lenses was a distracting amount of vignetting. Since the mCam is equipped with a standard 37mm thread, I was thinking about replacing the lenses with ones that have less barrel distortion.

Can anyone recommend any decent wide angle-lenses, or better yet, rectilinear-based 37mm lenses?

Thanks!

tagmedia7 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011
Bump.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Lol no and lol "bump"

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Considering the iPhone lens is about 4mm, 37mm is a telephoto for a sensor that small. Or do you mean there's a 37mm filter thread? Are you looking for a screw-in lens that will remove the vignetting?

But really, the answer is

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

Considering the iPhone lens is about 4mm, 37mm is a telephoto for a sensor that small. Or do you mean there's a 37mm filter thread? Are you looking for a screw-in lens that will remove the vignetting?

But really, the answer is

There is a 37mm thread on the lens mount adapter I have. The barrel I'm using causes vignetting.

tagmedia7 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 2, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if you want lens choice buy a camera

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like how everyone was politely ignoring this thread before the bump.

tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011
I'm fifteen, you guys. I don't have the income for that. I'm trying my best to work with what I can get, and what is available to me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

tagmedia7 posted:

There is a 37mm thread on the lens mount adapter I have. The barrel I'm using causes vignetting.

so don't use the barrel

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

tagmedia7 posted:

I'm fifteen, you guys. I don't have the income for that. I'm trying my best to work with what I can get, and what is available to me.

Possible solution: be older than 15

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

tagmedia7 posted:

When I was 15, I too threw good money away after bad, trying to make what I had into what I needed. (who am I kidding I still do that)

I still waste money but in a Dorkroom approved way: film.

An ME Super and a 50mm lens should cost $50 or less. Sell the iPhones online and buy one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
As a 15 year old you can't be put in jail, steal a better camera. I recommend a Hasselblad with at least 50 megapixels

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's a non lovely answer:

I don't know, but you could ask in the cell phone thread (where it looks like you already post).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

tagmedia7 posted:

You joined SA when you were 11?

For real though, it'd probably be smarter getting a job in your school break and buying a second hand cheap dlsr. Sell all the spare iphones and you will be a good chunk of the way to a rebel.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 2, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Important lesson for cameras: save up money and buy the thing that you actually want because you are gonna buy it eventually anyway. Overall you save money

This is aka "the poor man pays twice"

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Every lens you get for that thing is going to have heavy "vignetting" because the I'm pretty sure iPhone camera is wide enough that it captures the inside of the lens.

I like using my cellphone for pictures as much as anybody else but those lens thingies are fun to mess around with but everything that you take with them is gonna look like rear end

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
use your telephone to call a camera store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

After looking at the ALM section on Adorama for roughly 10 seconds, I can tell you that:

They only make like 2 lenses for it.

Or they make 2 screw-on attachments for the one lens that comes with it.

Or something else retarded. Like you can buy an actual DSLR lens mount adapter for this thing, so your iPhone camera can take pictures of the back of a DSLR lens instead of whatever kind of lens(es) ALM makes.

Sell all that poo poo ASAP and get literally any other camera and you will be better off, unless you need 4 lovely cameras instead of one not-lovely camera. Like if you want a special team of lovely-picture photographers that you can give missions to. And even then they would be much better off just using the phone cameras by themselves and ditching the alf cameras or whatever.

• Locked thread