Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
We've all at least heard of the Twilight Zone, but have truly any of us seen it?

Most of us have seen random episodes here or there, or even a bunch of them together on certain holidays on the Sci-Fi Channel. We've all seen iconic scenes in just about every comedy program, so much so that it just occurred to me, that it's quite possible we've all seen a lot of call backs to the Twilight Zone and never realized that's where it came from.

I know for a fact that I've never seen all the episodes, and they're great fodder for discussion, with a lot of things that can still make us think about things even to this day 56 years later (coincidentally, the first episode aired on October 2nd, 1959), so that's what this thread is for.

Here's the initial post of the which died relatively quickly, but can sum up The Twilight Zone better than I can:

glowing-fish posted:

The Twilight Zone was a science-fiction/fantasy/horror anthology series that ran on CBS from 1959-1964, for five seasons. There were two later rebootings of the show, but this thread will focus on the original Twilight Zone.

The Twilight Zone was created and produced by Rod Serling, who also wrote a sizable chunk of the episodes. Other than Serling, many episodes were written by Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont, both excellent science-fiction writers in their own right. Rod Serling wanted a show that could focus on topics he found interesting and important, and thought that using a science-fiction format would be a way to spread his message without being directly confrontational. Much like Gene Roddenberry would do later with Star Trek, the show could discuss topics like war, racism and social injustice in a way that was palatable to the audience.

The Twilight Zone was a half hour (22 minute) show for four of its seasons (1-3 and 5) and was an hour (45 minute show) for the 4th season, due to being a mid-season replacement for a canceled drama. All episodes were shot in black and white. Due to it being an anthology show, it had no regular "cast", other than Rod Serling, who would announce the premise and moral lesson of the show. Because it was an anthology show, the amount of actors in the Twilight Zone is remarkable. Many of the episodes featured well-known actors, going back to the silent film era, while many new talents were introduced to the world on The Twilight Zone, including child stars Ron Howard and Bill Mumy. For a Hollywood historian, the show has many fascinating bits of trivia!

Stereotypically, each episode featured a clearly delineated way in which an aspect of the fantastic or supernatural would intrude into people's lives, and would be wrapped up in the final scene by a "twist" ending, which would reverse the viewer's expectations. Although this is often true, the show was not quite as gimmicky as it has been stereotyped to be.

One of the biggest problems with The Twilight Zone is that most Americans (at least) are familiar with episodes through a process of osmosis, or through half-attentive late night viewings. Most people know how "Time Enough At Last" and "The Eye of the Beholder" end, even if those people have never seen the episodes, or don't even know they are Twilight Zone episodes. While today this might be seen as a sign of triteness, at the time these episodes came out, they were wildly original: original enough to implant themselves into our collective subconscious. The subtitle of this thread refers to the fact that after several decades of reruns, the show is remembered by many viewer as being somewhat corny and gimmicky (as well as having fairly limited special effects), rather than being a diverse and groundbreaking science-fiction show.

There are several reasons to watch The Twilight Zone: as mentioned, it has a lot of Hollywood history, as well as being full of interesting insights into the United States of the late 50s/early 60s. The foremost reason I would recommend for watching it is the fact that it is incredibly diverse. From week to week, a Twilight Zone episode might go from slapstick comedy, to hard science-fiction, to magical realism. I can't think of another anthology show that has done exactly what the Twilight Zone has done.

Guidelines
I would like this thread to be a collective watch and discussion of the Twilight Zone. At my current plan we will all watch and discuss two episodes per week, starting with the Episode 1, "Where is Everybody."

I would also please insist on treating this like it's a "new" show, even if you've seen that episode 1000 times, there are those among us who haven't. Therefore if you absolutely must talk about an episode we haven't watched yet, please use spoiler tags until the next Monday or Thursday.

For example, on Monday 8/12 at 8:00pm EST, we will open the watch for s1e2, "One For the Angels." Spoiler Tags will no longer be required for s1e1 "Where is Everybody?" and full discussion will open up for this episode. On Thursday 8/15 at 8:00pm EST, we will open the watch for s1e3, "Mr. Denton on Doomsday." Spoiler tags will no longer be required for all previous episodes.

There isn't a strict adherence to when you can watch an episode, those are really just a window for keeping in track with everyone else so that we're not lost or recalling an episode that we saw 10 years ago. But spoilers are preferred for all episodes we haven't watched yet.

How can I watch?
All episodes are currently streaming on Hulu and seasons 1-3, and 5 are available on [/I]Netflix[/I]. There are also DVD and Blu-Ray options for those who are so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Placeholder

• Locked thread