Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The T posted:

Happens to the best of us. :P I've posted a stream update in the wrong thread once, boy was that awkward...

Feel free to stick around!

Oh, I've been sticking around, but hadn't been keeping a close eye on what's been going on lately. I do have an LP-specific question: it's been mentioned that anyone taking part in these games needs a way to record their own video, but would there be any option for someone who can't do that to take part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I'm not going to say it couldn't ever happen, but... it would have to only be a game that didn't have any kind of hidden information whatsoever; add to this, that we already have enough steady players who would be interested in these sorts of games, that a spot opening up may well be unlikely, so a "no camera" player would rarely have chances to make appearances? Sorry...

All that said, try using OBS and various settings. A few players have to make compromises in recording settings (one records in 50 FPS) that I don't love but, well, they're already part of the crew, so I'm not gonna shun 'em for it now. :P

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The T posted:

I'm not going to say it couldn't ever happen, but... it would have to only be a game that didn't have any kind of hidden information whatsoever; add to this, that we already have enough steady players who would be interested in these sorts of games, that a spot opening up may well be unlikely, so a "no camera" player would rarely have chances to make appearances? Sorry...

All that said, try using OBS and various settings. A few players have to make compromises in recording settings (one records in 50 FPS) that I don't love but, well, they're already part of the crew, so I'm not gonna shun 'em for it now. :P

All good, thanks for the info. Seeing hidden info definitely makes sense, totally didn't think of that.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, I've been sticking around, but hadn't been keeping a close eye on what's been going on lately. I do have an LP-specific question: it's been mentioned that anyone taking part in these games needs a way to record their own video, but would there be any option for someone who can't do that to take part?

I wonder if I should make a thread specifically to get TTS games together (with or without OBS). Where would that go, though? Games? TGs?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dhamster posted:

I wonder if I should make a thread specifically to get TTS games together (with or without OBS). Where would that go, though? Games? TGs?

PGS, definitely, if it's to set up goon games.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Well, I'll get on that tonight.

The T
May 29, 2010

Heya, I know you guys mean well, but could we keep any discussions in this thread on the games we're playing and on the LP itself? There's a thread in Games for Tabletop Simulator that this conversation would fit better in.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

The T posted:

Heya, I know you guys mean well, but could we keep any discussions in this thread on the games we're playing and on the LP itself? There's a thread in Games for Tabletop Simulator that this conversation would fit better in.

That's fine--I was just responding to Rupert's inquiry, since I'd been looking for something like that myself. I've made a separate thread here, and I'll stay out of this one from now on.

The T
May 29, 2010

This is an interesting one! Who will win...?

Next week: DC Deck Building Game!

Also as an aside; last week I uploaded a bonus multiplayer video for my friend majormonotone's Chameleon Twist LP; and in the coming weeks, each Monday I am going to try to post a one-off bonus video on my YouTube channel; I won't bother announcing them all here, so check out my channel if you wanna see these dumb things. :D

The T fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 27, 2016

The T
May 29, 2010

Heya all; an update about this week's update. I had an encode ready to go, but due to some frame drops in my video due to using a new recording method, I'm really not happy with the video; I have a workaround, but on my computer, it's making AviSynth crash, and I'm baffled as to why. In addition, today I had some (hopefully) unrelated issues with my computer not booting up when one of my drives was attached; I've given up troubleshooting it and am running that computer with only one of the extra drives.

So between those two things and me getting ready to move, I'm going to push the update to next Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to get my workaround to the video stutters done by then. If I do, it'll be a pretty neat thing.

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 1: Everything's Gone to Hell

Does anyone else get annoyed that DC uses "DC Comics", when the C in DC stands for Comics?

So! It may not be immediately obvious, but my video ended up a little wonky. I tried a different recording program, and it went bad; tons of intermittent frame drops. So I used a function to try to clean them up, with mixed results. I left in the weird ones because they were still less jarring than the hard cuts, and the less jarring ones are actually unnoticeable in places; it's really cool. Still, to do this I had to go frame by frame and find the drops, so for the later parts of this game, I might use my view less...

EDIT: whoops I posted this a day early because my grasp of time is THAT bad. Enjoy!

The T fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 9, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The T posted:

Part 1: Everything's Gone to Hell

Does anyone else get annoyed that DC uses "DC Comics", when the C in DC stands for Comics?

I need to hit up the ATM machine to get cash for donating to an HIV virus awareness charity.

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 2: Wolverine Cosplay

So tossing this out there: I am just over a week away from moving, and in the middle of packing and turning my life upside down, so; I will still try to get Part 3 (the final part of this game) next Friday, bu after that I'm taking a short break.

Hopefully post-break we'll have even more new stuff! Thanks for your constant encouragement, and if you get bored in my absence, there's plenty of other dumb videos on my channel to check out!

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 3: It is Mario Party!

And with this, I'll be taking a short break. I still have a backlog of things to work on, but as I've mentioned repeatedly, I'm about to move next week, and things have really not been working out. So I'm not going to guarantee I'll be back in 2 weeks, but I'll do my best.

Thanks for sticking with me, and if you want to follow my move and make sure I come out of this all alive, feel free to follow me on Twitter! If you want.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Hope the move goes as smoothly as those can, looking forward to the next game.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey everyone, we're finally back! This and the next video were recorded before the hiatus, but we're hopefully gonna be recording new stuff again soon, so look forward to it!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hey, it's finally back! :toot: I haven't been the most vocal about it, but this has been a really cool thread.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Glad to see this has come back. I really enjoyed that match. Though, it continues to show that sometimes the Pokemon TCG gets to be very one sided.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, especially in the early age of the card game. Base Set and the earlier expansions are super poorly balanced, which is why my deck has been shredding through others.

There's also a heavy luck component to the early TCG, even heavier than there is now, which is why matches are best 2 of 3.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's clear you would need to have made at least two decks back in the day for any real competitive play then. Just in case the one you're playing also made a deck that can tear through opponents. Heck. You probably would need to do quite a few just in case to get the elemental advantages.

The T
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I've always thought it was odd (and keep in mind I'm coming at this as a TOTAL outsider) how official tournaments are just, bring 1 deck, that's it. Obviously the intention is to build a versatile deck, but I've never felt like Pokemon TCG was a game built that way. You're limited in how many types you can have, so at best you have to branch out with, here's some Fighting types weak against Grass, and here's some weak against Psychic, to mix that up.

I'm probably rambling and looking like an idiot, but yeah, it's a weird game?

I guess, especially early on.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

To be fair, it's pretty hard to balance a new TCG before you get feedback from lots of actual players, even today.

Remember, this card game was released 20 years ago (in October '96).

The T
May 29, 2010

:siren:Hey all!:siren:

So I'm going to put out a call for this: we could really use some new players!

I'm looking for chill, friendly people who can have fun and not take things too seriously when playing games, with an open mind to trying new games, or with knowledge of a variety of games they're willing to show off. Whether you have a lot of knowledge or absolutely none, though, I'm looking for either!

I'll waive the requirements for 60 FPS video; as long as you can record in 720p at somewhat okay quality, the video framerate can be worked with. We'll figure out how to get it looking as good as possible, just talk to me about it!

I'm most especially looking for people who are available in the afternoons during weekdays (I'm EST), but I try to accommodate all sorts of schedules and get people into games when I can. The most important thing in the world is that, if you say you can be available a time, and you agree to join us, that you show up! :v:

Please be aware that we don't record super frequently, though I am always looking to change that when I can. In general, though, we plan out when we're doing a game about a week or 2 before we do it; I am not a spontaneous person.

So if this interests you at all, I'll say the best way to get in touch with me is going to be sending a friend request on Discord at The T#3412. Just mention the thread, and I'll talk to you and decide if you'll be a good fit for the group. Due to some bad experiences with a lot of goons, I can be kind of picky with people, but as long as you aren't in-your-face obnoxious, things should work out!

Hope to hear from some of you!

The T fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 8, 2016

The T
May 29, 2010

This match turned out pretty interesting, despite some minor rule hiccups. Nothing major, though.

Also, I'm gonna toss out that there probably won't be an update next week. We've had a lot of scheduling problems getting the next games going; but we have 2 things planned in the pipeline, and we'll play them eventually.

And then after those 2, I'm going to give serious thought to some of the requests ya'll have posted in the thread. I've been ignoring them for too long just because I was afraid playing games I was blind to without a teacher would be too daunting. But I think I feel about ready to jump in!

That said, if you want to teach any of those games to us, feel free to get in touch with me! (read the post above this one!)

The T
May 29, 2010

Man, this one was kind of a clusterfuck, but it turned out okay in the end.

Manic is moving to Vietnam, and may not have stable internet there, so this was a send-off game for him; he really wanted to be in Clue, so he managed it last minute (even though we couldn't fit in majormonotone, who also really wanted to be in Clue. Next time!) Everyone wish Manic well!

In spite of that... Manic's video accidentally got corrupted, so we don't get to see his view! Don't worry, it doesn't end up mattering.

Similarly, my video has some framerate issues (or rather, my game did--I think my updating to Windows 10 caused this, but I'm worked it out for our next session, so everything will be fine). Basically all this means is my view is a little static and I don't end up cutting to it much. Sorry for any jitters; I didn't feel like going through and trying to fix it like I did on the DC Deckbuilding game.

Lastly, Tabletop Simulator's notepads started bugging out on us, so we abandoned our first session; afterwards, we used a mix of Notepads and just tried to capture them however we could (some people stuck with TTS's). And the way I ended up recording mine... also has a bad framerate, so it's not real time to my video? It's hard to explain, but basically just don't worry about it too much.

Because of that, I kind of wish I had stated more explicitly, to keep the notes to what would be plausible on the Clue notepad. I did try to import a physical object for each player to draw on, but it wasn't possible to get the right resolution and it just ended up not being feasible. Overall I don't think the massive notes are a big deal because hey, that's on me for not saying anything. But, next time.

Oh, and er, Rok's audio recording somehow got blown out? We um, we'll fix that for future recordings...

Just enjoy!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Yikes. It sounds like you were lucky to make it out of editing alive.

The T
May 29, 2010

To be honest, the nature of these issues didn't really make editing much harder, since they were all problems that I couldn't really do anything to fix. Like, maybe I had to fade around a bit more often to show Manic's turn, trying to find people who weren't too busy with their notebooks or something, but overall that's fine?

I remember Dungeon Lords being a nightmare for me to edit, because of the concurrent decision making; had to figure out who was going to do stuff when and try to get the best angle I could when 2 people did things at the same time.

That was something.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey everyone! So, some good/bad news?

I got a job; this has been my first week, and because I have to wake up at 5 AM every day to get to work, it's hosed up my sleep and I have basically no energy when I get home from work, leaving me no time to work on poo poo!

So to get a peek behind the curtain, my current plan will be: Finish up Clue part 2 some time this weekend and post it as soon as it's done.

After that, I will work on future videos but avoid posting the first part until all the parts are done; this will keep it so we don't have ridiculous cliffhangers. (kind of like what's going on with Colt Express... sorry about that guys, where the hell is Ax?)

So basically all this means is, we won't have weekly updates anymore, but when we do play a new game, I will post at least that whole game weekly until it's completed.

Hopefully this works out well for everyone, and your continued encouragement is... encouraged!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Sounds like a solid plan. Hope your new job goes well! :toot:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This sounds like a good way to do things. And it's pretty realistic to playing board games with friends as well. Hopefully everything goes well with your new job!

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 2: The Lettuce

Thanks everyone! I have such cool viewers. :3:

Enjoy!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Clue is a game I feel best played sparingly because the person who writes the best notes wins but keeping track of everyone's turns isn't hugely fun for me even though I can totally excel at it. That said I have heard of a hilarious tactic that I am going to deploy next time I get the chance if possible - make a suggestion using three cards in your hand as opposed to just two or one as your first turn. It's completely useless for gaining information and requires quite the luck of the draw with 6 players but will throw everyone else completely off the track for as long as you can manage to avoid showing more than one or two of the cards you used to everyone.

The T
May 29, 2010

Haha that sounds really good, I should try that now. Does require a lot of luck to get 1 of each card type, though.

My big thought on notes is, I've always felt players should be limited to the notepad the game gives you; like having a limited amount of space and using that space creatively should be a part of the game, so much so that I didn't even realize others didn't see things that way! I have no idea if I would enforce that rule if we played in the future, since the deductions you can make from writing down everything ARE interesting, but.... yeah, I don't know!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's the point of noting that "so and so" had a card, versus just marking down that you've visually confirmed that the card isn't in the final pile? I'm not asking to be snarky or anything, genuinely curious as to whether or not I've missed something about Clue all these years. I don't think I have, but who knows.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There are absolutely ways to deal with space limits of a single page though. A guess by curiousCat of Mustard, Wrench, Billiard Room becomes cC:CM|W|Bi and since you'd be putting it in the margins it'd be right next to the guessable options so you could cross-reference abbreviations without much trouble or loss of space for more suggestion columns if you needed them. It's probably more of a headache to do it that way than to just write everything out naturally but I've done this with the real board game and real Clue sheets to fair effect.

e: Noting down who has a card can change the context of every single guess that person has made in the game up to that point. For instance I was playing Professor Plum and had my own card; someone who saw that I held it but suggested myself anyway earlier would know I was fishing for something besides the suspect for one reason or another (in this case, it was because I'd made a very lucky guess that got me the suspect right out of the gate while holding the weapon and room cards used in the suggestion).

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 6, 2016

The T
May 29, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the point of noting that "so and so" had a card, versus just marking down that you've visually confirmed that the card isn't in the final pile? I'm not asking to be snarky or anything, genuinely curious as to whether or not I've missed something about Clue all these years. I don't think I have, but who knows.

Let's say someone else guessed, Scarlet, Revolver, Ballroom; I know Player C has Scarlet, and Player D has Revolver; but Player A shows the card. So I know Player A must have ballroom. If I had only marked down "someone has Scarlet and Revolver", I couldn't have deduced that, since I could have forgotten if it was Player A who had one of them, and therefore I couldn't use that as a chance to know for sure I could eliminate ballroom.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The T posted:

Let's say someone else guessed, Scarlet, Revolver, Ballroom; I know Player C has Scarlet, and Player D has Revolver; but Player A shows the card. So I know Player A must have ballroom. If I had only marked down "someone has Scarlet and Revolver", I couldn't have deduced that, since I could have forgotten if it was Player A who had one of them, and therefore I couldn't use that as a chance to know for sure I could eliminate ballroom.

This makes total sense, thank you (both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Greetings from Vietnam - glad to see Clue made it up with all the hitches. Internet is generally quite poor here, but I have seen people playing online mobas like Dota, so I guess decent internet speeds are attainable here. If I can get into a house with slightly faster internet I'll invest in a cheap but capable laptop.

• Locked thread