Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
This screenshot from The Stanley Parable is interesting

Note that that screenshot was posted on 24th of May, 2014. Which doesn't mean it was in the game at launch, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

synthetik posted:

Also, after you compete the game once, try the option to turn off the narrator. Not only do you get to play the levels alone, but the narrator edits (skipping the first maze, shortening the hour in the cell, etc...) don't happen.

Not entirely though: the lamp posts are still there.

I admit I lost sympathy about halfway through when the games obviously would take way more effort to make than would be put into a throwaway game. Especially the music. Although it does bring up the theory that Coda is the woman speaking in Escape from Whisper, because why would Coda have gotten someone else in to do the voices on a testing game?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This was probably the most boring and uninteresting walking simulator I played. I quit as soon as I realised it's all going to be the same dumb corridors with a boring voice droning about overanalysing said dumb corridors. Which was somewhere around the prison level I guess.

Dude should have done a collab with Stephen Lavelle or something, if he wanted a story about weird conceptual game genius. Coda was lame as fuk.

And for the record, I really liked Stanley Parable.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 16, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

grate deceiver posted:

This was probably the most boring and uninteresting walking simulator I played. I quit as soon as I realised it's all going to be the same dumb corridors with a boring voice droning about overanalysing said dumb corridors. Which was somewhere around the prison level I guess.

Dude should have done a collab with Stephen Lavelle or something, if he wanted a story about weird conceptual game genius. Coda was lame as fuk.

And for the record, I really liked Stanley Parable.

I think you may have missed the point of this game a little bit.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Even as a game about relationships or art or w/e, it did a poor job imo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you stopped right around the prison you are pretty close to the point where the tone shifts a bit and you see what the game is really about. You might find it worth it to persevere.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Eh, I really didn't like where this game ended up.

It is really wrong to try and draw so many conclusions on someone based on their work. I will communicate this by releasing a game that in the end is me talking almost entirely about myself and how terrible and wrong I was to do it.

It also just feels inconsistent. Davey, you were the real problem all along! I mean, I know the very previous game I made ended with the player destroying a machine that had my own name and that numerous games before that in fact explicitly contained references to how alone I feel but, you're the real problem! You showed me games to people!!

I really liked the Stanley Parable, but this game kind of reeks of someone having a lot on their mind that doesn't necessarily fit together and saying it all at once without thinking about how it reads. There was some cool imagery and visual metaphor involved but really you can call where the game is going in the opening few minutes, and it might just be the first game I genuinely think is worth being called pretentious.

zer0spunk posted:

The "house of leaves"/"Don Quixote pt 2" meta thing is a pretty clever gimmick to juxtapose into this medium..I still don't know if I actually LIKE like the game though. The message it conveys at the end is pretty clear cut..literally "your criticisms say more about you than me"

This is also the hallmark belief of a bad writer who, on some level, knows that what they're doing is more shallw than they'd like to admit. The joy in which Davey said "It made me SO HAPPY to feel like I was the important one for sharing Coda's work!" was really irritating. What, the guy couldn't have just sold me a text file with "gently caress you" written in it?

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 27, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's not necessarily biographical. It's a commentary on criticism and depression but in game Davey isn't necessarily real life Davey.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The story isn't real . I have a feeling themes and some elements of Coda's games are reflections of Real Davey's experiences making Stanley Parable, but in-game Davey isn't supposed to be real life Davey. I think he did that to put the audience in a false sense of security in trusting Game Davey as a reliable narrator.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 27, 2015

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Calico Heart posted:

Davey, you were the real problem all along! I mean, I know the very previous game I made ended with the player destroying a machine that had my own name and that numerous games before that in fact explicitly contained references to how alone I feel but, you're the real problem! You showed me games to people!!

Pretty much all the games about being alone/desperate/the machine are Coda talking about Davey, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I don't know if it deserves its own thread or if it should be posted on Stanley Parable's, but William Pugh (Davey Wreden's partner in TSP) has made an extremely short free game that is funny as all hell (it even has British narration):

http://store.steampowered.com//app/409160

• Locked thread