Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
"i told obama not to remove so many troops from iraq."

"we've seen this movie before"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"I sign alot of things"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
He looks pretty drat old these days I can only imagine the presidency would have killed him.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Obama really shouldn't have removed troops from Iraq though.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

reignofevil posted:

He looks pretty drat old these days I can only imagine the presidency would have killed him.

you betcha

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Miltank posted:

It wasn't really up to him unless you think it would have been tolerable to Congress to give Iraqi authorities jurisdiction over crimes committed by American soldiers.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Helsing posted:

It wasn't really up to him unless you think it would have been tolerable to Congress to give Iraqi authorities jurisdiction over crimes committed by American soldiers.

P much. Obama didn't remove troops out of the goodness of his heart, Iraq's puppetheads were growing enough of a spine to consider punishing american troops for assassinating random people and good samaritans/ER officials and Blackwater for filling random cars with lead and raping ppl

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
John "Blackwater Did Nothing Wrong" Mccain

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Miltank posted:

Bush shouldn't have put them there.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

cant wait for :shillary: to reinvade iraq

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

cant wait for :shillary: to reinvade iraq

Iraq has just to regressed back to the small special forces/advisors stage of military involvement.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Wherein we fail to understand what "quagmire" really means

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

US presidents never watched The Princess Bride

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Wherein we fail to understand what "quagmire" really means

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
why doesn't mccain just replace boehner?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
he already took office in IToldYouTown, and the reason boehner is leaving is to take up a position as sheriff

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Harald posted:

why doesn't mccain just replace boehner?

Because McCain is a Senator.

Not that that means he's disallowed from being the House Speaker, just that there's never been a Speaker who wasn't a House Representative.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thump! posted:

Because McCain is a Senator.

Not that that means he's disallowed from being the House Speaker, just that there's never been a Speaker who wasn't a House Representative.

Cut out the middle men and just make the Koch bros co-speakers

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

Cut out the middle men and just make the Koch bros co-speakers co-Consuls

gently caress it, might as well drop all pretenses. Let's put the goddamned Patricians in charge for realzies.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Thump! posted:

gently caress it, might as well drop all pretenses. Let's put the goddamned Patricians in charge for realzies.

Let's go full Roman and make them pay for public works out of their own pockets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thump! posted:

also have the client system.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

reignofevil posted:

:sigh: what could have been.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

hubris.height posted:

he already took office in IToldYouTown, and the reason boehner is leaving is to take up a position as sheriff

It's McCain's fault Boehner's out of a job and the country's (even more) broken, considering he lit the fuse of the tea party when he picked Sarah Palin and the base went all Frankenstein's Monster.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Reminder that McCain really wanted to pick Lieberman but was convinced not to do so by his advisors.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

P much. Obama didn't remove troops out of the goodness of his heart, Iraq's puppetheads were growing enough of a spine to consider punishing american troops for assassinating random people and good samaritans/ER officials and Blackwater for filling random cars with lead and raping ppl

Eh, it's maybe not all that simple. I had to watch Obama's own spokesmen admitting that he barley even tried to keep troops there in Frontine "Losing Iraq" to believe it, but I think he could have gotten around this if he wanted to, but he really just wanted end the war at all costs. Now we see what the costs were and I think he chose wrong.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/losing-iraq/

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Base Camp Blanket posted:

Reminder that McCain really wanted to pick Lieberman but was convinced not to do so by his advisors.

While it was viewed at the time as an awful pick and it quickly became an ever-developing media disaster; her long standing support from the conservative base is somewhat impressive. Palin has never actually done anything and yet she is still remembered occasionally today as someone who would have been competent and capable (by lunatics mind you). It would be like walking into a room with a thousand actresses and picking out the next Paris Hilton and then having a third of a third of the country actually begin to obsessively follow the details of the actresses life.

I doubt Lieberman would be as fondly remembered today.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

reignofevil posted:

I can't think of any circumstances where Lieberman would ever be fondly remembered tbf

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

breaklaw posted:

Now we see what the costs were and I think he chose wrong.

Our alternative was spending trillions in perpetuity to cork it up.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Our alternative was spending trillions in perpetuity to cork it up.

I won't pretend that being forced to clean up the giant mess was in any way fair to Obama but our country definitely broke it so we probably shoulda actually bought it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

reignofevil posted:

I won't pretend that being forced to clean up the giant mess was in any way fair to Obama but our country definitely broke it so we probably shoulda actually bought it.

Do you think we're even capable of fixing it? If the Bush years taught me anything, it's that we have no capacity for nation building.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Do you think we're even capable of fixing it? If the Bush years taught me anything, it's that we have no capacity for nation building.

I believe we could do it..... hypothetically. I will admit the likelihood of making the changes required (actually holding our own forces accountable for both their behavior and their efficiency) is pretty much nil.

So I guess on a philosophical level we should have paid for it. But the selfish thing might have been the only realistic outcome because of the thrice damned republicans.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

breaklaw posted:

I think he chose wrong.

Let me tell you a secret about war: If you don't get it right in the first 10 years, ITS NEVER GOING TO loving HAPPEN!

What a stupid thing to even say. Hey remember that war that wasn't going anywhere? We should have continued wasting lives, material, and money in the off chance that somehow we could have gotten it right. I am not a fan of forever war.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Reminder that a part of the reason we made any peace at all with our occupation was that we literally ethnically cleansed the country; think trail of tears, but with various muslim sects. It wasn't a long-term solution.

Also Iraq fell apart because we didn't establish a new government that could actually fend itself. The vast majority of political and military leaders were traitors and informants for us during the saddam regime, awarded high positions for the powerful skill of having no spine. Useful for fast-tracking the construction of US bases and a mcdonalds, awful for defending anything or listening to their own people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Pity he didn't tell Bush not to send so many there to begin with.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

reignofevil posted:

in a sea of poo poo, lieberman is a festering bolus of rat semen

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Miltank posted:

Neurolimal posted:

Reminder that a part of the reason we made any peace at all with our occupation was that we literally ethnically cleansed the country; think trail of tears, but with various muslim sects. It wasn't a long-term solution.

Also Iraq fell apart because we didn't establish a new government that could actually fend itself. The vast majority of political and military leaders were traitors and informants for us during the saddam regime, awarded high positions for the powerful skill of having no spine. Useful for fast-tracking the construction of US bases and a mcdonalds, awful for defending anything or listening to their own people.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
another key element that was missing from our ""nation-building"" is that we really needed way more troops on the ground than we ever had

the initial invasion of iraq, for example, was based on the premise that all we had to do was kick in the door, topple Saddam, and the freedom-loving Iraqis would joyously build a new democracy. we never had a proper occupation force in place.

of course we should never have gone there in the first place

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

:sigh: what could have been.

there was a non zero chance that sarah palin could have been president of the usa loving lol. i imagine that at this point in her reign she would either be impeached or warlady of the toxic wastes of america

Accretionist posted:

before iraq the us actually had an amazing track record in nation building. japan, germany, south korea, those were all huge successes. but no at that point it was basically unfixable because removing the baathists from the government was the one thing they should have never, ever done if they wanted a functioning state (coincidentally also the thing they pointededly avoided doing in all those other countries i mentioned! who could have known this incredibly obvious fact??)

babypolis has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Oct 19, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
mccain would have been hospitalized for "exhaustion" the first time he tried to order a nuclear strike on russia (jan 25 2009)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

mccain would have been hospitalized for "exhaustion" the first time he tried to order a nuclear strike on russia (jan 25 2009)

Oh, so you think he'd have entered office on a mellow note, then.

• Locked thread