Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posted from the Quit Being a loving Child thread --

When I was in college, I read a 1941 or 1947 edition of Henry Miller's The Wisdom of the Heart, which included a bizarre, stream-of-consciousness prose-poem-type thing called "Finale". Interestingly, "Finale" does not appear in any later editions of this work.

Proof it existed: a screengrab of a page from Henry Miller; an informal bibliography, 1924-1960 by Esta Lou Riley:

Proof it is no longer included: Table of Contents from 1960 edition and all later editions.

Now, fortunately, I discovered this mysterious absence from later editions while I still was an undergrad, so in the interest of being able to read it again later in life, I copied out "Finale" in one of my notebooks, which I found today. :woop: Here's the first page or so --

quote:

Eye to eye, fire to fire, blood-red ice and black perfume, moon goddess and moon fire, the smoke of vanished kisses, harp bleeding its green music, poppies floating in a cold sea. The roundness of the beginning, the end like a navel; craters flowing with blood-red ice, hemispheres of warm milk, swan’s down and meat of olives.

The miracle is good-bye and that ends it. Farms, faces, wheels grinding. Black chunks of earth flying skyward.

A thousand years of melancholy lie between us and she has no answer to make. What is there to answer if life is a poem, the drug and incense of endless yesterdays and tomorrows? Under the table our knees touch. Under how many tables knees and hands, skeletons articulated with love, things that walk automatically and touch, pollen, roots digging down, fibers and vertebrae, green juices, the wind soughing and things crawling in the night, making no sound. Stir and movement, wings folding, the prick of light without heat, worlds sighing inaudibly and bones whitening and dust coming to life.

My whole life is hanging by a thread.

The remembrance of things is in her touch – incorruptible egg that precedes and endures, memory unsponged and glowing with a last light. The ripple of her loins secreted in blood, her breasts tipped with melancholy, the drugged smoke and passion of her lies laced with scars and fang-whorl, dyke on dyke of bleeding harps, of kisses suffocated with poppies, of youth run out, of womb turned and strings snapping with death. The music of night written on sand. The spangled sand of the stars. Waves that light the scorpion’s nest:

The end. All things come to an end where they begin again, assuming a circle or a dog chasing its tail or eternity cognized which is incomprehensible and indefeasible. The end is a weasel licking its chops. Revolvers clicking automatically where the spine flattens into a globe. The end is a circle that coagulates into points which never existed and could not now exist were there no blackboards and what makes them blackboards. The end is when every drawer has been ransacked, rings drowned, certificates burned, no passports, no pictures on the wall, no calendars, when everything can be put in a handkerchief and you don’t need initials in your hat any more. When size is an empty equation.

[...]

[I've transcribed the whole thing, but I don't know if it's still under copyright. I can quote more of it if anyone's interested.]

I'm dying to know: A) why it was excised from later editions, and 2) what...what it's all about? What does it mean, what inspired Miller to write it, what is it alluding to, etc.? But what's even weirder than "Finale" is, is the fact that I can't find any reference to "Finale"'s existence anywhere other than the bibliography above. I've searched using Google and Google Scholar, and I've searched in all the academic research databases my university subscribes to -- no dice. I can't find any mention of it anywhere -- no criticism or commentary on it, no citations, nothing.

:tinfoil:

Have any of you ever read it? Do any of you know of any Henry Miller resources (scholars, etc.) who might be able to answer my questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I feel really bad that noone has responded, so Ima say hi.
How'd your day go? I'm studying at 3 in the morning because time is a construct, and I suck at managing my time.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
It's a fragment from a novel called "Crazy Cock." Here's Kirkus' take on it:

quote:

Early Henry Miller fighting the hydra of English. In the late 20's Miller was living in Greenwich Village, writing Crazy Cock and being housed and fed by his wife June. He kept revising Crazy Cock but later in Paris set it aside to write Tropic of Cancer--a wise choice, since the first three paragraphs of Cancer are worth Crazy Cock entire.

• Locked thread