Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The AFC team of TFF is the Oakland Raiders. A long time juggernaut that has been run well for millennia and who's owner is a fashion icon.

How does this work?

Well, we all watch different games. The N/V and aftermath threads are not focused and participants can't really get in depth, so this is an attempt to focus the forums on two interesting teams. The only rule is that you need to focus on the Raiders. If you're talking about their opponent only talk about them as they relate to Oakland. Example:

"Russel Bodine Is poo poo." Bad.
"Russel Bodine got worked by the Raiders DT but he's been poor overall so I'm not certain it was great play by them." Better.

What do I need to do?

Whatever, as long as you're contributing. This is not the place to talk about the tuck rule or how the Chargers are way better or whatever. Post game summaries, ask questions, whatever. Just don't go off topic and this probably isn't a good venue for game day thread style posting.

What if the Raiders end up sucking more than we expected?

There's no commitment. If you lose interest just stop posting.

This is an experiment. Do as much as you like. I'll compile Game posts in the next post so we have an easy reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Game Comments:

Game 1:

OxySnake posted:

Well I don't want to fall behind! Just finished game 1 vs the Bengals, here is what I saw

Bengals Notes
1.) Andy Dalton looks really god drat good. Everything was placed right into everyones hands.
2.) Geno Atkins beasted the RG that whole game. Holy poo poo.

Raiders Notes

• Raiders had a real problem setting the edge early in the game. How good are Cincy's tackles?

• Carr's arm strength looks really good. He barely puts anything on it and it sails. (Granted this is from a person who has watched Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel and Teddy Bridgewater for the past 5 years)
    Also he needs to learn how to god drat slide. No reason to be stiff arming Pacman on that scramble.

• Marcel Reece is cool and good. Sucks that his long run got taken back though. He juked the hell out of the LB.

• They are playing ALOT of 5 man fronts with a single high safety early. Looks like they switched to their nickel a lot after that. But even with that Oakland has really soft coverage in the middle of the field, and their
    safeties arent closing in on WR/TE after they clear the LB level fast enough.
    I can see how TE's are going nuts on them this year.

• Latavius Murray also looks good. Good speed through the hole.

• Seth Roberts please hold onto the god drat ball.

Game 2:

Eifert Posting posted:

I just watched the Raiders second game (I, uh, saw the first one already) condensed and I'm excited about seeing all their games. They are a cool team and here are some of my take aways:
  • Holy poo poo, #27 tackles like a pachycephalosaurus who is tha- oh, Taylor Mays.

• Carr has a cannon but I can't tell if he's picking targets ahead or making reads.

• Both defensive secondaries were getting away with murder despite getting flagged a bunch.

• The Raiders receivers are fun to watch. I liked Hurns a lot and he's the #3.

• Raiders O-line seemed to outplay the ravers most of the game.

• Big question: Ravens TE was eating the Raiders alive first half and then disappeared. I want to watch 22 and see whether they took him away or if Flacco just got the Steven Smith Sr vapors.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 10, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I disagree with the opening sentence.

gently caress the Raiders.

That said, go Raiders.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Will the Raiders break .500 for the first time in almost a decade and a half?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QXGz0k7Ak

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ross Angeles posted:

I disagree with the opening sentence.

gently caress the Raiders.

That said, go Raiders.

Ross and I don't agree on a lot but this right here is the truth

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I like the Oakland Raiders. :)

toget
Jul 12, 2008

FIRST TIME posted:

Will the Raiders break .500 for the first time in almost a decade and a half?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QXGz0k7Ak

To do that the Raiders need to win 6 games out of:
DEN, @DEN, SD, @SD, KC, @KC, NYJ, @PIT, MIN, @DET, @TEN, @GB

The games against Denver, at Green Bay and at Pittsburg are sure losses, but I think the 8 other games are winnable for Oakland, my prediction is 8-8.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Ok, so I've now watched (condensed) all 5 Raiders games. Observations:

1) The Raiders are fun to watch.
2) They've been in every game other than that Bengals fiasco.
3) They should have beaten the Bears.
4) Derek Carr looks very good for a second year QB. Good arm, good targets, etc.
5) Carr does seem to really rely on Crabtree uber alles though.
6) Great to watch a team with a decent run game, although the run game seems to only go through Murray and to fail when others come in (screens work with Reese, but that's the only really successful plays I saw with Reese).
7) It's great to watch a team with a decent defense. Not great, necessarily, but at least decent defense.

e: 8) It turns out I only know enough to watch football for fun, not to break it down like Menamino et al.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 18, 2015

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine
the Raiders will play in the Oakland Coliseum until it literally crumbles to dust, as the NFL doesn't want Mark Davis to drive his Grand Caravan anywhere near Los Angeles

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I sort of think that this @Chargers game is showing more about the Chargers (total inconsistency - the Chargers hung with the Packers until the end last week) than the Raiders, although what I may be seeing instead is a young team growing up in front of me.

I'll rewatch it in condensed form Tuesday or Wednesday, but I don't know that I'm taking away a whole lot about the Raiders so far.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

ulmont posted:

I sort of think that this @Chargers game is showing more about the Chargers (total inconsistency - the Chargers hung with the Packers until the end last week) than the Raiders, although what I may be seeing instead is a young team growing up in front of me.

I'll rewatch it in condensed form Tuesday or Wednesday, but I don't know that I'm taking away a whole lot about the Raiders so far.

It probably helps the Raiders had two weeks to gameplan for the game but until they took the foot off the gas the Chargers weren't getting anything going. Having said that giving up 23 points in a quarter is never good.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

ulmont posted:

What you saw was a lot of hatred built up for the Chargers finally getting released. That game had a similar feel to the Tom Cable led blowout of the Broncos a few years back.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

This game (Raiders-Jets) was summed up here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3749145&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post452199981

Summary is from a Jets perspective, but it was a fun game to watch for the Raiders.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

There's no commitment.
The commitment to excellence :colbert:

As a Raiders fan I'm not entirely sure what to think of the last two games cause the Chargers hasn't been playing well and didn't have Weddle and Gates (although they might've sucked it up too for all I know), and the Jets lost Fitz to start the game and I think they had a bunch of injuries coming in too. In any case they've at least shown they can beat up on a team now (at least for three quarters) vs the games earlier in the season.

And their 4th quarter clock management (or play execution I guess) was only topped by the Jets' plays on those last few drives :barf:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The Raiders running game is still a breath of fresh air to someone used to no running game though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Bout time the rest of you got on the :bandwagon:.

Derek Carr to Michael Crabtree. We dreamed it in our heads. :swoon:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ulmont posted:

The Raiders running game is still a breath of fresh air to someone used to no running game though.

One day, something is going to snap in Latavius Murray's head, and he's just not going to stop running.

It's weird how upright he runs too. Like, standing completely bolt upright.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the raiders are cool and good fun

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The Offense hasn't been this much fun since Hue Jackson was the OC. Not to mention how improved the defense is. Shame about Seabass losing a step though. :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Does anyone have any unused Raiders shaky-tars?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Imagine being McFadden and finding out the Cowboys suck but the Raiders are good

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

:dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
When did the Raiders hire Brienne of Tarth?

• Locked thread