Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iggore
May 6, 2009
So I woke up this morning to find there was two unauthorized transactions in my Paypal account; 15$ forwarded toward my bank account and 70$ forwarded toward some individual with a russian sounding name. There was 30$ available in my paypal account at the time. I only used paypal twice in the past two years.

I contested those transactions with paypal using the ususal procedures and changed my account password. I'm awaiting a decision.

What else should I do to help secure myself? How far and thoroughly should I go? What could've possibly happened?

If someone was able to make transactions in my paypal account, does that mean that he also got information on my banking account?

Iggore fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Someone was able to login to your PayPal account, either because you didn't have a strong password or used that password on another site, they were able to guess your account security questions, or they gained access to your e-mail. You should change your passwords on your e-mail as well as any other important sites. Consider using a password manager like LastPass to generate and save secure passwords instead of re-using passwords or using easy-to-remember passwords.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
Lastpass. That sounds super useful, thanks.

I'm puzzled as to why someone would 1) forward money toward my own bank account 2) withdraw more money than there is available in my account and 3) not change the passeword to lock me out.

Thanks for the answer.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Depending on the order of transactions, 1 was likely to test the linked bank account, 2 was to get the money out. If you try to transfer more than the contents of the account it should draw from the linked bank account. They didn't do 3 likely because it would have caused you to notice sooner, if only because it generated e-mails.

• Locked thread