Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah I'm all for it. I liked G Gundam overall and it's an interesting take on Gundam that's certainly different than anything else out there. There's plenty of room for that in a series that's mostly about war drama.

Like many others my first proper exposure to Gundam was Gundam Wing on Toonami, so I can't blame you or anyone for not really getting snagged by G Gundam as a follow up to that. There's plenty of nostalgia tinted glasses at work here, but I feel like most Gundam fans would be very on board with a follow up movie in the Wing universe with fancier modern animation to it, somewhat similar to the recent SEED movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Recommendations for the Wing and G dubs should always be taken with a handful of nostalgia, even if the people pushing them on you refuse to acknowledge that. I'm not unbiased enough to really pick out issues with G's, though I've watched it more times subbed at this point.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was not into fighting anime. Wing was 7th grade for me, so I love giant robots, mecha, outlaw star you know. but fighting stuff did nothing for me. It wasn't until Kai that I gave DBZ even half a chance. And given how similar the designs are, and everything else, so G Gundam scratched no itches for me.

The Dub is not bad but it's not good enough for me to like it over the japanese dub, unlike FLCL or Cowboy Bebop. That said I love the Wing dub because it's so bizarre and also that's how I watched it in the first place. So during the 09 attempt I was trying the dub even though everything else I was watching at the time was original voices.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
So continuing on to Zeta Gundam and I'm just not getting drawn into it immediately like I did with the original Gundam. I remember really liking it and I'm sure it will get there eventually but I think the main problem is just the translation in both subtitles and dub feels confusing. Are there any other translations of it or something? the version I'm watching on crunchyroll also doesn't seem to have the original music. I might dig through the ol HDDs and try to find the old maybe fan-subbed versions I first watched. The actual art in the animation is fantastic though.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
ah ha! the translation really is different! example from episode 5:

The intro music is the same however.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The dub makes at least one choice late in that is so much better that I have to recommend it. But it's not for a ways yet, so I can understand reluctance if you're not going in for dubs much already.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I don't object to a good dub! I actually watched all of the first Gundam this time around in dub, it was pretty decent. Also watching Dungeon Meshi in dub.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Banger opening for G Gundam

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lazy Fair posted:

The intro music is the same however.

The intro and ending music for Zeta ended up in rights hell so no licensed North American release includes it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lazy Fair posted:

I don't object to a good dub! I actually watched all of the first Gundam this time around in dub, it was pretty decent. Also watching Dungeon Meshi in dub.

I love the Zeta dub, though partly for nostalgia reasons. As mentioned in an earlier post on this page, it's the B-team, but I think they did a great job. Kamille especially captures the energy of an angry teen getting his poo poo together perfectly.

Also yeah, in general I think dub scripts end up being way more natural-sounding, since actors have to actually say them out loud. You end up with a lot fewer of those awkward sentences that sound stilted or overly formal (or just nonsensical).