Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Non-Combat - Getting it Just Right

One of my most important design goals for Let Thrones Beware is to ensure that the non-combat challenge portion of the game is as compelling and fun to play as the tactical combat component. I'm really looking to avoid designing yet another game where heroes roll some dice against a target difficulty and pass or fail depending on how high their number is.

The First Try at Non-Combat

Well, if combat was interesting and fun, my first thought was "why not use the same challenge mechanic?" I replaced the tactical grid with zones that the heroes had to move between, I whipped up a list of complication mechanics that could be attached to obstacles to make them dynamic and interesting, individual obstacles were given the ability to block heroes from accessing other obstacles until they were dealt with. In place of a way to deal damage to the heroes, obstacles had clocks - and they had to be defeated before the clock ran down, or the heroes would lose the challenge.

A Prelude

Going in, I knew that these intricate non-combat scenarios would need prep - there didn't seem to be any good alternative to great set-piece challenges, especially because I had concerns about  how easy it would be to create a challenge out of whole cloth on the fly. Still, not a problem, I figured. Interesting non-combat challenges were the point, weren't they?

I also wasn't quite sure how to present these challenges, but since I was playtesting anyway, that didn't seem like a big deal. It'd all sort itself out in the end.

Rubber Meets the Road

My playtest group and I sat down to run through an adventure. We'd primarily focused on combat before, with just a few quick demonstrations of how the non-combat system worked. They breezed through the first part of the adventure, quite happy with the improvements that had been made to character creation and combat.

Having bested a brigand ambush of the caravan they were guarding, the heroes now had to escape with a small group of peddlers to the safety of a nearby village. I laid out the scenario, and we immediately crashed into problems.

"How do I know which of these obstacles to prioritize?"

"There's not really any way to

"It just feels like we're throwing our powers at them and hoping that attrition works in our favour"

"What if we wanted to do something else?"

The list of questions and complaints continued. It was clear that something had to change.

Arriving at a Solution

Reworking the non-combat system was a must, but there were a number of mechanical elements that I wanted to retain. I was also very determined to retain the detail and complexity of non-combat challenges.

Hashing things out with the playtest group and reflecting upon things later, my thinking coalesced around a few very obvious pain points.

First, I needed to address obstacle difficulty. Obstacle health and individual round clocks went out the window. In its place was a standardized set of difficulties. This change makes it straightforward for both GMs and players to know what sort of challenge they're up against.

Second, and more importantly, was challenge presentation. Before, I was laying out the entire scenario in detail, effectively railroading players into a specific sequence of events. The new approach, which I much prefer, works as follows:

Planning Phase

The GM lays out a goal for the party - this can be something as straightforward as "question the merchant about recent bandit attacks," or as complicated as "infiltrate the ruined town and steal the mcguffin." With this goal in mind, the heroes plan out in detail how they'll achieve the objective.

Execution Phase

Based on what the players have planned out, the GM builds a series of Obstacles representing the situations that the players must deal with as they carry out their plan. A single success overcomes each Obstacle, rather than the complicated rounds and timers of before, but these Obstacles have individual difficulty levels - they're also where the mechanics are hooked up.

The table resolves all of the Obstacles presented, and will end with a tally of victories and failures - note that failing to overcome an Obstacle doesn't mean that the plan fails and ends immediately. The plan's success or failure hinges on the total number of failures and successes.

Resolution Phase

Once all Obstacles have been addressed, the GM narrates how the well the plan was executed. Success across the board means that the heroes accomplish their goal exactly as intended. A mix of successes and failures means that the plan hit snags along the way. How significant the complications are will depend on how many failures occurred.

Wrapping Up - The New Non-Combat System

Thus far, I'm quite happy with the new approach to non-combat. It's done a lot to encourage roleplay and gives players freedom to make their own choices, rather than shepherding them into pre-constructed scenarios. Excitingly, it also has a certain Oceans 11 quality to it, which I'm very excited to see unfold at the tables.

Game Discord | System Website

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
A new look and feel (feeling good).

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
And a bunch more. This is finally coming together.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 28, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Adventure writing is hard. Seven sections - about 14 pages - are all that remain before I have a playable intro adventure. Then, it's off to playtest land.

The other major thing that's going on these days is I've stripped out weapon damage - damage is now entirely based on combat powers, which means that a hero can wield anything and still be effective in game.

Hooray!

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 20, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
PLAYTEST 007: POWER MANAGEMENT – PUTTING POWERS TO WORK

The Problem: Power Management
As you know, power management in combat is a huge deal in Let Thrones Beware. Having access to the right power at the right moment can help turn the tide of battle, and coming up short can leave your character defenseless in the face of an adversary’s attack. Lately, the need to manage powers has been butting up against the collection of in-game abilities that say “if you exhaust an additional combat power, you do [extra effect].” These powers are fun opportunities for players to have a big impact, but the cannibalism of combat powers can slow down fights, and that’s a big problem given my emphasis on combat wrapping up in three to four rounds at most.

The old Rogue class feature posted:

A Rogue who has an Edge while engaging an opponent can use an Interrupt power in place of an attack power (this means that your Interrupt cannot be prevented). When wielding a light weapon, you may exhaust a second combat power of any type to inflict its damage in addition to that of the Interrupt.

Upcoming Changes
I got to thinking about the how to refine this mechanic. My first inclination was to use a chit system to provide characters with a resource they could expend. Rather than making them deplete precious combat powers, they’d have a secondary resource (a pile of tokens). That seemed okay at first, but then I got to thinking about tiered play. E.g. what happens when they leave the Adventurer tier and end up in Champion or Legend.
In the Adventurer tier, heroes have a finite supply of chits that they can use – three total. In higher tier play, I want the players to have the ability to recharge their chits so they more functionality. Gradually over time (in Champion) or constantly (in Legend). It occurred to me that I already had a resource system: powers. Rather than requiring players find and use chits, I could use the non-combat powers they already have as markers.

The new Rogue class feature posted:

A Rogue who has an Edge while engaging an opponent can use an Interrupt power in place of an attack power (this means that your Interrupt cannot be prevented). When you have Edge, and are wielding a light weapon, you may exhaust a non-combat power to double the damage of the Interrupt.

Advantages of the New System
The new power management system provides flexibility for adventurers to exploit their powers while ensuring that they’d not left helpless; something that can be very boring if it happens to you more than once.
Now, when heroes leave the Adventurer Tier, the rules say, “when you use a non-combat power to charge a combat ability, place it in your pile of exhausted powers. If, when you are refreshing powers, you draw a non-combat power, draw an additional power.” At the legend tier, they say, “when you use a non-combat power to charge a combat ability, place it in a separate exhausted pile. When you are refreshing powers, draw both a combat power and a non-combat power.”
The increasingly potent regeneration of this resource will allow players to take advantage of the options provided to their heroes as they climb through the tiers of play – stunting and supercharged powers, for example.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thoughts on the GM Adventure Packet:

* you're going to want to provide pregens, in case you didn't already think of that.
* page 7: "Merchants and peddlers scuttle between settlements, accompanied braving the Woods to make a few coins." that sentence seems like it's missing a word?
* Xvkr'll, the Burgomeister - you're might want to tell us how that's pronounced (I'll stop mentioning any other names from this point forward)
* NPC descriptions - the attitudes are good, but you might want to include a physical ~something~ to serve as a touchstone. Dieda being scarred is a good example.
* page 16 and onwards: I'm wincing at the use of Papyrus as a font
* were there supposed to be statblocks for the enemies?

Overall, I am extremely impressed with this work. While I expect that some may balk at how "railroaded" this might feel, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that people should be releasing to make RPGs, and specifically GMing, more accessible. Even the Map section is top-notch as far as giving the GM an idea of what they should be sketching out.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thoughts on the GM Adventure Packet:

* you're going to want to provide pregens, in case you didn't already think of that.
* page 7: "Merchants and peddlers scuttle between settlements, accompanied braving the Woods to make a few coins." that sentence seems like it's missing a word?
* Xvkr'll, the Burgomeister - you're might want to tell us how that's pronounced (I'll stop mentioning any other names from this point forward)
* NPC descriptions - the attitudes are good, but you might want to include a physical ~something~ to serve as a touchstone. Dieda being scarred is a good example.
* page 16 and onwards: I'm wincing at the use of Papyrus as a font
* were there supposed to be statblocks for the enemies?

Overall, I am extremely impressed with this work. While I expect that some may balk at how "railroaded" this might feel, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that people should be releasing to make RPGs, and specifically GMing, more accessible. Even the Map section is top-notch as far as giving the GM an idea of what they should be sketching out.

Thanks, Gradenko!

Accessibility is priority number one. I'm adding four pre-gen characters (one for each class), as well as all the enemies the heroes will face to appendices at the back, which ought to make the adventure easier to run. Ultimately, this adventure is intended to be one of four (I've posted about the first, Rogue in the Woods, before) that introduces new players to roleplaying games in general and Let Thrones Beware in particular.

I've found myself in an interesting position - one that I didn't think I'd be in, given my track record of abandoning projects. While Let Thrones Beware still a long way from being done, the Adventurer Tier is essentially feature-complete, especially now that the intro adventure is finished. The next big project for me is going to be recruiting people to run blind playtests - that is, run through adventures using the system without me being there to explain to them how the game works. I've come up with the following elevator pitch, based on previous posts. I'm mostly happy with it, though I feel like I'm going to need to remix up several of the bullet points so that I don't call out comparisons to other games.

quote:

Let Thrones Beware is a roleplaying game about rediscovering hope in a traumatic fantasy world.

Despite its strength, the eternal Kingdom of Man is no more, accidental victim of the very power it wielded to conquer your world. Bowed but not broken, those who survived the Kingdoms brutal thousand-year occupation fled to the far corners of Ceyenus.

Despite your freedom, there is danger. Horrors stalk the Deep Wood in which you and your kin shelter. Isolated, vulnerable villages quake in the darkness, hoping they are overlooked by what lurks in the trees.

Despite the danger, you must end Age of Despair. The rebirth of Ceyenus awaits and now is the time for you to step forward and restore what was lost.

Features of Let Thrones Beware include:
  • A setting that challenges heroes to restore their world, shattered and broken by an otherworldly invasion
  • A universal resolution mechanic that uses attack/counter/interrupt powers
  • Gridded tactical combat and abstracted non-combat systems
  • A codified adventure cycle where success and failure have meaningful effects on the campaign
  • Stronghold and Domain management
  • Mass combat
  • Character portability between tables

You might want to take a look at this if...
  • ... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
  • ... you want a mechanically interesting non-combat resolution system;
  • ... you enjoy gradated success in games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
  • ... you like the character building of D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
  • ... you like the simplicity of D&D 5e's advantages mechanic but don't enjoy the caster / non-caster disparity.

Game Discord | Let Thrones Beware Website

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 21, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am pretty excited to see this project reach this point, and would like to playtest -- but won't be able to until summer. So, uh, take your time.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

homullus posted:

I am pretty excited to see this project reach this point, and would like to playtest -- but won't be able to until summer. So, uh, take your time.

Hey, thanks for the kind words! It's always super encouraging to hear people taking an interest in this.

I've changed my approach for publishing the playtest - rather than self-hosting, where downloads all kinda disappear into the void and I have no way to track (or reach) who's downloaded the playtest, nor update them when new material comes out - I've decided to publish the beta on good `ol dtrpg. You can pick it up at the following link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/232024/Let-Thrones-Beware-Open-Beta

I'm making a few final tweaks to the adventure based on preliminary feedback, and then I'll be releasing the playable draft of that as well. Certainly interested to know what you (all) think!

Game Discord | Let Thrones Beware Website | Download the Beta

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Some sweet feedback from people reading the open beta.

quote:

Lolwhut? The opening fiction is from the viewpoint of a bug lady afraid for her bug son and a human smushing her as if humans are the big bad evil guys? Really? Yep, confirmed by what the game is about. Humans are the big bad guy invading a world of bugs. Wow, I can't take that seriously. What's with the title, then? Why would bugs have thrones?

quote:

you can't actually even look pretty because everything is a weird bug monster or horse person or something? That's an issue for me. I want to be pretty when I roleplay.

quote:

I can't imagine being a horse-headed person. That's...just too ridiculous. oh, yeah, you do have a picture of the horse people. That's worse than I imagined. Why are they so hunched? Why did you want to remove all possible touchstones for people, racewise?

quote:

Oh come on, I was thinking I was going to get my pretty goth people or whatever. Instead...actually, wait...your description of the Echtroi...is it just me or do they look like Marceline the Vampire Queen from Adventure Time? WTF?

Game Discord | Let Thrones Beware Website | Download the Beta

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

Some sweet feedback from people reading the open beta.

I don't find anything interesting about insects and honestly wouldn't have been as excited for this project if I hadn't seen the Desperation level mechanic for adversaries -- I'd be among those reskinning it longer-term. The adversary design in general is clever and clear, with a lot of space for creative opposition!

I skimmed the playtest document, and the only thing I want to suggest is that "PG-13" as a campaign descriptor might not be meaningful to all of your intended audience.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

homullus posted:

I don't find anything interesting about insects and honestly wouldn't have been as excited for this project if I hadn't seen the Desperation level mechanic for adversaries -- I'd be among those reskinning it longer-term. The adversary design in general is clever and clear, with a lot of space for creative opposition!

I skimmed the playtest document, and the only thing I want to suggest is that "PG-13" as a campaign descriptor might not be meaningful to all of your intended audience.

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of how it actually plays.

What do you mean by pg-13? I don't think I used that phrase anywhere in any of the published materials.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

What do you mean by pg-13? I don't think I used that phrase anywhere in any of the published materials.

Page 122 of the 2018 January Playtest Packet.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
As I'm getting further and further into Let Thrones Beware, my thoughts are turning to how best to afford the art and layout it'll need to look sharp. Kickstarter is the best bet, but to successfully Kickstart, you generally need a bit of recognition.

Fortunately, I think I have a solution.

I have a side project. Yes, it's true. Last year for the 200 word RPG contest, I created a game called Might Makes Right: Muscle Marines in Space. I've been tinkering with it when inspiration strikes ever since, and have developed Advanced Might Makes Right, a more robust (that's a fitness pun) second edition. I suspect that this could make for a fun and inexpensive kickstarter which would give me some practical experience and a project under my belt.

Anyhow, some highlights from AMRM:

Muscle Marines in Space posted:

It is 2374. You are Muscle Marines, charged with keeping the universe awesome. The Fitness Federation employs you as explorers and defenders of the frontier. A vast interstellar empire - the Beancounter Alliance - threatens the Federation. The Alliance stands in firm opposition to the muscular ideals of the Federation. You must reconnoitre the Delt Quadrant for Precursor Artifacts that can bring and end to the conflict.

Winning a Conflict
If you win a conflict, you’re right about the disagreement.

Critical Success
If you strive so hard to win that you throw up, you’ve earned a critical success. Once you’re cleaned up, you can dictate the nature of your success – additionally, you can include one extra advantageous circumstance that will help you in your quests. For example, if you score a critical success in a social conflict about convincing a Muscle Magistrate to grant you access to some secret records, you might add that the Magistrate becomes a good friend, who you can call upon for extra help at a later date.

Hack: Muscle Monsters posted:

You are a plucky band of college freshmen, being pursued by a horrible muscle monster. Honestly, this is probably your fault for drinking at summer camp. Or was it breaking into that haunted house? Maybe it’s because you had a party in the cemetery. Well, no matter what you did to piss this muscle monster off, it’s trying to kill all of you before you can escape its lair and figure out how to defeat it for good.

Split Up the Group
Once per scene, after completing 15 pushups, the Muscle Master can call for an endurance test. To complete the test, all survivors must hold a plank for 15 seconds. If a survivor is unable to hold the plank, she or he is separated from the group for the duration of the scene. Increase the length of each subsequent test by an additional 15 seconds. A separated survivor is unable to talk to or otherwise interact with the rest of the group.

What Happens When You Die
If you die, you assume the role of an audience member. This means that you're removed from the main game. However, you can shout advice at any survivor at any time, and they're free to take it – they just can’t respond to you.

Scenarios
  • Michael Pec Flyers
  • On Friday, the 13th Set
  • Nightmare on Rep Street

Other hacks in the works include:
  • Unremembered Lands - A class-based D&D spinoff.
  • Musclehearts - Broody teens (who are also muscle monsters) explore highschool life.
  • ShadowRunning - A cardio-heavy cyber(muscle)punk game.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
:siren: New blogpost is up for Let Thrones Beware

Today's topic: What the darn heck is Traumatic Fantasy, and why it's not grimdark gore bullshit stuffed with sexual peril and racism

Given that so much of Let Thrones Beware is already written, I'm transitioning my blog from focusing on new features to a more complete exploration of the game, it's themes, and what the mechanics are trying to achieve. This post represents a reboot of the blog - the end of result of which will be a front-to-back dissection of this 4e-inspired tactical game!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Hope vs. Fear - how I wrote Let Thrones Beware to be an escape from everyday awfulness

Here's the second post of my new approach to Let Thrones Beware blogging. Continuing last week's discussion on the themes of the game, this week's edition is all about how I approached writing to ensure that LTB is a game of hope rather than a game of fear.

Game Discord | Let Thrones Beware Website | Download the Beta | @ThronesBeware

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Beating Back the Darkness and Restoring the World

The last part of my examination of the theme of hope vs. fear, this week's blog post looks at the trauma suffered by the indigenous inhabitants of Argohex and how the heroes can overcome the horrors inflicted by the Kingdom of Man.

Beating Back the Darkness and Restoring the World

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 26, 2018

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Linear Everyone - Defining Game Principles

After three weeks of looking at the themes of Let Thrones Beware, it's time to switch gears and discuss something new. This week is the first of a two-part look at the fundamental principles of the game. Up for discussion first: everyone is equally capable of affecting the narrative no matter their choices, and mechanical choices must be meaningful.

Linear Everyone - Defining Game Principles

In other news,

I've started mapping out the champion tier of play. Hero concepts include:

• Controller - Corrupted by Shadow
  • Controller - One With the Elements
  • Defender - The Biggest Pike You've Ever Seen
  • Defender - Plate Armoured Muay Thai
  • Leader - See Through Time For the Right Answer
  • Striker - Expert Fencer
  • Striker - Machinegun archer

Champion classes will provide a signature power, several replacement powers, and several power mods that augment existing abilities.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Appendix N for this Modern Age. Inspiration Old and New

This week, a look at some of the historical, fictional, and practical inspirations behind the development of Let Thrones Beware. Learn how poets, barbarians, and sword-fighting all contributed to this unique game.

Appendix N for this Modern Age. Inspiration Old and New

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
A sneak peek

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks great!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Subjunctive posted:

That looks great!

Thanks! It took more work than I'd like to admit to get the ToC down to a single page. But if D&D can do it, so can I!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D&D does it, like with a few-pages index, by ignoring the needs of the reader.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
really excited for 4 new splats, one for each class. when can you have those done by.

(just kidding it looks really good.)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Impermanent posted:

really excited for 4 new splats, one for each class. when can you have those done by.

(just kidding it looks really good.)

Ach, my wounded heart!

In all seriousness, there are two more tiers of classes - here are some sneak sneak peeks.

Some Champion Class Concepts posted:

• Controller - My Hound and I Are Corrupted by Shadow
  • Controller - We Are One With the Elements
  • Leader - Strategic Mastermind That Predicts How Adversaries Move
  • Leader - See Through Time For The Answer

Some Legend Tier Class Feature Concepts posted:

• Defender - One injured adjacent standard or minion adversary dies at the end of your turn, whether you dealt damage to it or not
  • Defender - You cannot be injured (suffer hp damage) by an opponent
  • Striker - Can move through any square, occupied by terrain or adversary
  • Striker - Whenever you engage an adversary you may steal one of the powers used when the engagement ends

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Breaking News Alert - Let Thrones Beware Playtest 008 is Live

This week, I'm interrupting our regularly scheduled blogcast to bring you this breaking news - a new version of the Let Thrones Beware beta has dropped! Playtest 007 has been put to bed, and DriveThruRPG is updated with Beta 008.

Updates to Beta 008 include:
  • Overhaul of adversary combat AI and updated powers
  • Layout and formatting significantly improved
  • A new class feature system
  • Loads of rules clarifications

Breaking News Alert - Let Thrones Beware Playtest 008 is Live

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 9, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Do you have any plans to have the system go CC ala Powered by the Apocalypse?

I really enjoy reading through the design process.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Glad you're enjoying the read - it's actually been pretty fun writing down what (and why) I've been creating the way I have been. I suspect there'll be a lot of words spent on the actual mechanics when we get that far along.

I confess that I haven't thought about CC at all. I'll have to give that a ponder at some point before I take this from beta to finished product. I can definitely see the appeal.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Appendix N Again - This Time: Roleplaying Games That Made A Mark

This week, we return to our discussion of Let Thrones Beware's Appendix N; a review of some of the inspirations that have helped make Let Thrones Beware the game it is today. This week, we're looking at two roleplaying games that helped to shape development.

Appendix N Again - This Time: Roleplaying Games That Made A Mark

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
A collection of feedback - unsolicited, but much appreciated:

Brad Murray of Disapora fame posted:

Have a look at Let Thrones Beware. It's about a world damaged by the incursion of humans and it's very sharply designed. There's a 4e aesthetic to the mechanism that works better here than 4e (my opinion obviously).

A post on RPG.net posted:

This is a hot thing, and I'm excited to be following it.

I'm not the greatest fan of 4e, but Chris did some amazing things here with porting the basic combat and ability system to be a smooth and universal combat and non-combat resolution system. The mass-combat and domain management layered on top are what really tickle my fancy, though.

The non-human and mostly non-humanoid aspect of it is especially inventive, which is what turned my head towards this thread in the first place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s awesome!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you know you've done 4e well when people who sufffered aneurysms from looking at the system are giving you praise.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Subjunctive posted:

That’s awesome!

Impermanent posted:

you know you've done 4e well when people who sufffered aneurysms from looking at the system are giving you praise.

I am friggen over the moon that internet people - and recognized, award winning designers - are saying nice things. It almost justifies three years of work!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Core Mechanic - The Challenge

This week I'm writing about the Challenge, which is the universal mechanic powering Let Thrones Beware; it's used in both non-combat and combat situations, although there are some slight differences to each application. I'm also mixing up the format of this post a bit today. Rather than just write about what I think is interesting, I've gone to the community and asked what sort of things people want to hear about. I'll start with just the basics, and then move on to the community content portion in the second half of the post.

Core Mechanic - The Challenge

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Core Mechanic - The Challenge - Community Questions

We continue our look at the core mechanic that powers the system - the challenge. This week, we'll run through community questions about the universal challenge mechanic (and Let Thrones Beware more generally).

Core Mechanic - The Challenge - Community Questions

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Today's topic: Dice Modifiers – Edge, Advantage, and Desperation

This week, we're taking a look at how the universal challenge mechanic is modified by a few different systems. One thing that I really wanted to be sure of in designing Let Thrones Beware was that there were as few fiddly modifiers as possible. Did I succeed? Hell ya!

Dice Modifiers – Edge, Advantage, and Desperation

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Not dead, but progress has been pretty slow over the summer.

In the meantime, here's a teaser of what the new character sheet looks like, with the old one on the right for contrast.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
welcome back! glad to see this is still going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Hey thanks!

Progress over the summer months is going to be slow, but by the time September rolls around I should be back to form (fingers crossed).

• Locked thread