Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Before, I had two hard drives on my computer: one had Linux Mint 17.2 and the other had Windows 10. I recently got a 500GB solid state drive for my computer to replace the Linux hard drive. So, I want to have Windows 10 Home on the 1TB hard drive and Linux Mint 17.2 on the SSD. I also want their partition tables to be in GPT rather than MBR, but this has caused a slew of headaches for me. After realizing that I had to boot the Windows install DVD in UEFI mode to get it to install on GPT, I managed to install it to my hard drive and it works fine. Now, I'm trying to install Linux Mint on the SSD. I downloaded an installation ISO of Mint 17.2 and burned it to a DVD. I then tried to boot the DVD in UEFI mode, but it failed to boot (I got an error message about some missing file), so I booted in Legacy mode. Probably because of this, the install process failed when it tried and failed to install grub. It couldn't install it on any of the drives. I don't know what to do now. I tried making a bootable USB drive, but I think my USB stick is faulty because I am unable to wipe its partitions (what partition table do you recommend for the USB drive?).

Here are my hardware specs:

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
CPU: Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz
SSD Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Hard drive: Western Digital Velociraptor 10,000 RPM 1TB
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce 970
RAM: 8GB

EDIT: Fixed it. The installation DVD for Mint can be booted in UEFI mode if you start Linux in compatibility mode. PHEW!

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
You can find instructions online for getting GRUB to work with UEFI, but i have never been able to get it to work. I've had the Ubuntu USB stick booting in UEFI, but the installation seems to be legacy only. Best of luck finding a working guide.

• Locked thread