Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

track day bro! posted:

How hard is it to get running on an AMD system? I failed horribly to get hackintosh working on my old x99 system, but I'll be upgrading to a 5900X setup at some point. I was going to try doing it the KVM route which i still might do but I guess I'm gonna need an extra gpu for that.

It's really not that bad. You need to add some AMD specific kernel patches to the open core config, but that's really it.

This is the go to guide for open core, and it has a section for AMD: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

This forum/site is also dedicated to AMD Hackintosh and has been really helpful: https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php

Open core seems like a lot at first, but it's really not that bad once you go step by step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's the state of Hackitoshes like these days? I really want something under my tv that I could game on Windows and macOS for everything else.

Is it worth it, price and reliability wise?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 3, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's the state of Hackitoshes like these days? I really want something under my tv that I could game on Windows and macOS for everything else.

Is it worth it, price and reliability wise?

They dead son. You can cobble something together but AS means they'll never get an update after the intel macs EOL.

Embrace the fact that you'll never do anything on a TV but use a browser and just run windows.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

They dead son. You can cobble something together but AS means they'll never get an update after the intel macs EOL.

Embrace the fact that you'll never do anything on a TV but use a browser and just run windows.

Guess I'll just get an arm mac mini and just get another console then.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
M1 really changed the value proposition of a real Mac.
Used to be that a Mac mini or whatever was some low end Intel trash so almost anything you cobbled together yourself would be better. Now that's not so true.

Killing Nvidia cards was the previous nail in the coffin.
I bought a 5700XT in early 2020 just for Catalina but that honestly turned out to be a waste.

RIP

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I mean, technically Hackintoshing is still alive for now, because Monterey is Intel / M1, but you can stick a fork in it when Apple announces that the next macOS will be M1 only.

The fat lady hasn't sung the Intel swan song yet, but she's currently clearing her throat..

The odds are that the next macOS in fall of 2022 will be M1 only, since their migration will supposedly be complete when the M1 Mac Pro releases, but there's rumors that there's gonna be at least one more Xeon / Ice Lake based Mac Pro; I dunno that they'd release a new Intel Mac Pro only to yank out the carpet from under it a few months after..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 4, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

I mean, technically Hackintoshing is still alive for now, because Monterey is Intel / M1, but you can stick a fork in it when Apple announces that the next macOS will be M1 only.

The fat lady hasn't sung the Intel swan song yet, but she's currently clearing her throat..

The odds are that the next macOS in fall of 2022 will be M1 only, since their migration will supposedly be complete when the M1 Mac Pro releases, but there's rumors that there's gonna be at least one more Xeon / Ice Lake based Mac Pro.

How are you computing these odds lol

Back in the day they didn't drop PPC support until about 3 years after all the hardware went Intel. That was a somewhat rapid schedule, made possible because the PPC Mac population was relatively small to begin with, and Intel Macs were so far superior that everyone knew PPC hardware was just obsolete.

Today, there's a lot of Intel Macs out there, and a lot of goodwill Apple would trash by abandoning them so quickly. And a lot of them probably won't age out of being viable quite as rapidly as PPC Macs did.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they're also selling an intel mac pro right now and just upgraded it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The vast majority of their product lineup is still Intel based machines. I think there will likely be Intel builds of MacOS for at least the next 4 years.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

they're also selling an intel mac pro right now and just upgraded it

Well, more like Apple is now offering several different flavors of the AMD 6X00 as amazingly overpriced GPU upgrades..

The CPU upgrades to Ice Lake haven't happened yet..

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

GutBomb posted:

The vast majority of their product lineup is still Intel based machines. I think there will likely be Intel builds of MacOS for at least the next 4 years.

Probably longer. There is some significant complaints from the business sector about moving to ARM. My guess is that they will move their lower end/consumer products to ARM and keep the professional stuff on Intel/x86 at least for awhile.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I expect them to offer an ARM mac pro soon, and upgrade the existing intel mac pro for a couple more years.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I expect them to offer an ARM mac pro soon, and upgrade the existing intel mac pro for a couple more years.

I think there's sufficient info out there to the effect that there will be at least one more Intel Mac Pro hardware update before the full AS transition ends, so I think you're right. I think anyone buying a new (even 2019) Intel Mac Pro would be rightfully pissed if they weren't getting intel-based macOS support for at least another 4 years.

Even Tim  himself said intel systems would be supported for "many years to come". Having said that, as a consumer I wouldn't buy an Intel mac at this point. At all. Ever.

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 4, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i spent like 13 grand (of my works money) on an intel mac pro in uh, 2019, so, i hope they support it for a while lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Smythe posted:

i spent like 13 grand (of my works money) on an intel mac pro in uh, 2019, so, i hope they support it for a while lol

I'd be thinking your worst case of actual support would be 2024 or '25. You could probably keep going for a few years after that - at least until the security patches stop.

If they DO release another Intel mac Pro.. who knows?