Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Problem description: HDD calls are generally slow, while large ones cause programs to hang for long enough that Windows interprets them as not responding. This lasts for a couple seconds, after which the program responds and carries on as if nothing happened.

Attempted fixes: Replaced the RAM (thought it might be an issue writing to RAM at first), replaced the HDD, replaced the SATA cable. Next step would be replacing the motherboard (which I'm assuming is the culprit), but since the PC in question is fairly old, that would mean replacing the CPU as well, which is fairly expensive. Tried downgrading to Windows 7 -- no change.

Recent changes: I've been wrestling with the problem long enough that I can't remember when or how it started.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

System specs:
Acer EG43M motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU
1TB HDD
8gb DDR3 RAM
GeForce GT 300 series GPU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This board?

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/specs-acer-eg43m/

I'm assuming you mistyped when you said 8GB of DDR3, because that appears to be a DDR2 board.

If that really is an ACER OEM board then it probably has a seriously crippled BIOS, which probably isn't helping anything.

Have you tried other SATA ports on the motherboard? You mention switching cables and HDD, but didn't specifically changing the port it is connected to. Was the other drive also a terrabyte drive? Have you run Crystal Disk Info on the HDDs you've tried?

This is probably not really going to help with the current issue, but if that is an OEM board and has the latest OEM BIOS it might be a rebranded one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128354 (GIGABYTE GA-EG43M-S2H LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard)

I flashed the BIOS on an eMachines board that was a rebranded off-the-shelf MSI, if memory serves, and it was like getting a new machine with an actual functional BIOS on it instead of the hobbled OEM crap. Slight risk involved, and I didn't thoroughly verify this is an option in your case, but I thought I'd mention it.

In any event, updating the Intel chipset drivers and such would be a good idea if you haven't done so already.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Sorry; I got lazy identifying the motherboard and fingered the EG43M because it looks nearly identical. Opened up the PC again and it's actually the G45T/G43T-AM3.

I've tried using different SATA sockets -- no use.

I'm not a super-big techy person, so you lost me on the part about flashing BIOS. It might be worth trying as the BIOS is seriously old, but I'd need a bit of guidance.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yyou are sure the new HDD you put in is good, right? HDD failure is common enough that it wouldn't be unheard of to have problems with a replacement drive. To confirm, post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info window for the system drive.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The PC's behavior with the new HDD is the same as with the old one, so I don't suspect that's the issue, but here it is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Since you replaced all that stuff I would be looking at the antivirus you use.

• Locked thread