Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm going to watch this tonight.

I was delayed yesterday but I will do this, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Episode 5 flew by.

I look forward to looking up texts so that people can summarize this for me :v:

"Will FLCL end properly?" "Uhm. Probably."

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 23, 2015

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The only thing I don't quite get now is who Canti is

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I watched this for the first time ever a few months ago and was super impressed, it really felt like such a great concise and targeted thing. I felt like Episode 2 was unnecessary to the overall arc but it was still incredible on its own. I expected it to make more sense going in but I'm glad it didn't feel the need to. Also I realized that a lot of avatars and gifs I've seen in my internet life suddenly make sense and I know where they're from.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think Episode 2 is pretty important for showing what Mamimi and Naoto's brother's relationship is and how it came about. Naoto's brother is a pretty important character, even in his absence

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And I'm done.

Hahahahhahahahah. I loved it.

Parallax posted:

The only thing I don't quite get now is who Canti is

Well, as far as I understood it, Canti itself wasn't anything special, just another MM robot - or part of the Core, as indicated by that seal on his monitor. However, when Atomsk was captured by MM, they placed Atomsk inside it. When Canti fights the first robot, he's red, indicating he's Atomsk, but at the end of the fight when Haruko hits him, Atomsk goes dormant and is only brought back when Canti and Naota fuse.

I am tired and I just got done watching it so there's probably a billion things I'm missing but I need to sort my mind out somehow.

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 23, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This was my favorite track.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Terper posted:

And I'm done.

Hahahahhahahahah. I loved it.

Well, as far as I understood it, Canti itself wasn't anything special, just another MM robot - or part of the Core, as indicated by that seal on his monitor. However, when Atomsk was captured by MM, they placed Atomsk inside it. When Canti fights the first robot, he's red, indicating he's Atomsk, but at the end of the fight when Haruko hits him, Atomsk goes dormant and is only brought back when Canti and Naota fuse.

I am tired and I just got done watching it so there's probably a billion things I'm missing but I need to sort my mind out somehow.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think the only thing that was messing me up was why Haruko would hit Canti in the first place

I guess she figured if she smacked Canti, then Atomsk would come out

Parallax fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2015

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Parallax posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I think the only thing that was messing me up was why Haruko would hit Canti in the first place

I guess she figured if she smacked Canti, then Atomsk would come out

She's a space police officer. She wanted to subdue and capture Atomsk.

If you look at Bird-Atomsk's nose you can see another chain-link like the one on Haruko's bracelet that resonates when Atomsk's energy is around. It may also indicate that he was handcuffed to her at some point and managed to escape?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My favorite observation from the director's commentary so far is "The Pillows said we could use [all of their music], so I tried to use it all."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The fun thing about Harukp is she'll keep you guessing about her motivations up to the very end. It helps that Eyebrow dude misreads her too so it's easy to take his words as truth on the first watch-through.

Also the fact that Eyebrow's guitar was the slingshot she used in ep. 5 still cracks me up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

but what does flcl mean :confused:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

You do it like this with your hands.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I love episode 5 so much. One of the best things Imaishi's done.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
some days ep 5 is my favorite, other days it's ep 4.

Anyone here ever read the manga? I had no idea it even existed until recently and boy was that something. It's way more confusing than the actual series is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Eh, I don't know about this one. If I think of it as a two and a half hour music video it's not bad, but as a series it's either incomprehensible or too shrouded in allegory. Characters seem inconsistent and with unclear motivations.

It is pretty, though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Agronox posted:

Eh, I don't know about this one. If I think of it as a two and a half hour music video it's not bad, but as a series it's either incomprehensible or too shrouded in allegory. Characters seem inconsistent and with unclear motivations.

It is pretty, though.

It's not too hard. Boy is going through puberty. Girl from space runs him over with her Vespa, and then hits him with her guitar. Robot comes outta his head.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

oh yeah it's almost time for my yearly rewatch

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Finally finished up. Hadn't watched in nearly a decade and there was a lot of stuff I didn't remember or had never picked up on.

Thoughts:
-I love how they reuse the same animation for Ninamori saying "I don't think it's any big deal" when she has dinner with them
-I totally forgot about the South Park bit, and it's fitting/also awful that that's where we get the most direct picture of Amaro
-For every two dicks I noticed watching this in high school, there is a third I only found now

darealkooky posted:

Anyone here ever read the manga? I had no idea it even existed until recently and boy was that something. It's way more confusing than the actual series is.

There's a lot in it that doesn't make sense if you haven't seen the anime, and the art is really unclear. It's definitely an interesting companion piece though. The anime is about Naota trying to be an adult (before making peace with being a kid), while the manga is about him getting dragged kicking and screaming into adulthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Unstickying since the official simulwatch is over, but feel free to keep posting in it if you were still mulling over your thoughts or just want a place to discuss the show in general.

• Locked thread