Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Posted this over in the Star Citizen thread (one of the best places for quick space schadeunfreude recipes), so thought I'd share here too.

Here is Spectacular Corfu Sofrito (Σοφρίτο Κερκυραϊκό).

This requires a bit of attention, but the results are godly. Translating from Greek, this is very close to what we eat in Corfu (got an aunt in St Spyridon Bay, I'm a lucky bastard).

WARNING, this dish is loving awesome.

Ingredients (for 8 people - or 4 goons)

1,8 kg of beef (the rump is a good candidate, especially medallions) thinly sliced in half centimetre pieces.
300 ml. White Wine
150 ml. White Balsamico vinegar
200 g. flour
500 ml. hot beef broth/stock (If you don't make your own, you suck. But anyway, I think you can buy stock cubes and mix with water).
200 ml. olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups chopped parsley
Salt, Pepper

Directions

1. Remove the meat from the refrigerator 1-2 hours before cooking and preparing the remaining ingredients. With paper towels wipe up and down all the pieces to remove moisture.

2. Put the flour in a pan and add 1 tsp ¼ salt and pepper and stir (you can add more seasonings to the flour if you like, this is how we do it in Greece though). Then cover each slice in flour. Let them rest for 10'.

3. In large and wide nonstick saucepan, pour some olive oil over high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the slices gently and give them a quick fry. Remember, be gentle both in getting them in and turning them, there is no need for splashing or heavy duty work.

Technical Note: Never put more than 3-4 slices of meat together at a time, you need to keep the oil temperature up. If the oil gets too cold, instead of a thin crust that seals the taste in we get a droopy, flaccid-cock like piece of over-saturated with oil meat. You don't want that.

4. Turn the slices every minute or so - gently - with forceps for about 3-4 minutes until you get a characteristic honey colored crust on the outside. Remove them in a bowl or pan, allow the oil to heat up again and then - only then - go to the next batch. If during frying you need extra oil, you can add some but have in mind that what we want in the end is for a little oil to remain in the pan. Be conservative.

5. When all slices are done, reduce the heat and drop in the chopped garlic to saute properly. You only need about half a minute for that. As soon as its done, take a deep breath (incoming vapor nightmare) and drop in the wine and the vinegar. De-glaze like a lunatic with a wooden spoon while holding your breath. 30 seconds of excruciating asphyxiation is enough for most of the vapors to go away.

6. Put all the meat slices back into the pot, spreading them across the surface, in layers. Immediately after, add the beef stock to almost cover the top layer of meat and if that doesn't cover it then add a little more hot water.

7. Leave the sofrito to simmer over very low heat for 1 hour, stirring it a little every 10 minutes or so. In one hour, add salt and pepper, taste the broth, and then add the parsley. Let it simmer for another 15 minutes until the sauce you have is relatively thick and the meat can be cut with a fork. The fire must be very low to not get the meat stuck in the pan. If you see that happening, well..stir more you idiot. After its done, let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.

8. For a good companion, you can try double-fried hasselback potatoes. Take the potatoes whole, and clean them properly. Then take a knife and drive thin wedges to the potatoes. Don't go all the way through though, you want the potato to stay in one piece. Those wedges serve as channels for the oil to sip in and do some frying ninja action. Take the potatoes and boil them in water, with white vinegar until they are half done. Alternatively, put them in the microwave for 10'. Take them out, and deep fry them for 12' @160 degrees celcius. Let them chill in the fridge, you can even freeze them if you like. When the sofrito is almost ready for serving (done and waiting for it to rest), put them back in the frying pan for 3' @180 degrees (4' if they are frozen).

Perfect every time. When to season and how, is a matter of personal preference so apply your own technique to it.

Serving

Sprinkle a little fresh parsley and serve the Sofrito with the potatoes in a platter on the table.

For other Star Citizen Greek Cuisine recipes:

Keftedakia
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337&pagenumber=565&perpage=40#post451605710

Dolmadakia
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337&userid=214360#post450857976

Spanakopita
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735644&pagenumber=105&perpage=40#post449684374

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

This is really cool and good! Thanks, need more greek recipes :)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This all looks awesome!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I have Cypriot family and this post makes me happy.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Thanks for the nice words. If someone tries it, let me know how it turns out.

Added some more info in the OP (about the fries mostly).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 20, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Dante80 posted:

For a good companion, you can try double-fried half-cut potatoes.

I make these sometimes, but I've always heard them called "haselback potatoes".

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fenrir posted:

I make these sometimes, but I've always heard them called "haselback potatoes".

You are right, didn't know that word (was translating from Greek). Will edit the op.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of which, yours look excellent and so does pretty much everything in that post, would totally do that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that's a cool technique with the potato - haven't seen that one before. gonna do it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've been to your uncle's restaurant in Burien. We split the meze platter and I had the mousaka. Baklava for dessert. It was incredible. I no longer live in the area, though.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've been to your uncle's restaurant in Burien. We split the meze platter and I had the mousaka. Baklava for dessert. It was incredible.

Hehe, good to hear that. I hope to visit him the coming summer, never been to the place, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
That looks great, and so do your other recipes, drat

• Locked thread